Author Topic: Two house cats getting ready to go outside...collar and general advice needed  (Read 1566 times)

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
Oh boy - what stunning ladies you have!!   :Luv2: :Luv2:   Aren't they beautiful?    ;D

Circumstances often dictate what we do or what we work with, and that's why there are many valid arguments for and against keeping cats as Indoor or Outdoor.  I dont think it's possible to dictate to people what they should or shouldnt do with regard to indoor/outdoor access as everyone's situation is different, but I would certainly favour the cat proofed garden if it was an option for you.   I find myself eyeing up houses for sale these days not so much thinking "ooo what a nice kitchen, and spacious living room" but rather "could you cat proof that garden?  Yes!"   :wow:

Offline Fitzchiv

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Daisy
Hi Sue P, thanks for the comprehensive response. I think where I am right now (mrs fitz is a bit more pro-freedom) is the cat proofed garden approach. There's so much they can experience and do without jumping into next doors garden with the dog, or getting in a scrap with the people on the others side's cat.

My previous cats have always been outdoors, and it never crossed my mind to have an indoor pet - but since we gave Daisy a home and the forced circumstances of her being a house case, and subsequently getting Frankie as a companion for her - it's got to where we are now. I'm just a bit concerned they both lack any kind of "street smarts". We've given them a well insulated life, with lots of affection and no danger, my concern is things like dogs, cars and nutcases may not set the alarm bells off they should if we let go free reign.

I'm sure I'll be won over eventually, but it'll be kicking and screaming!

Picture as requested - Daisy is the tort, Frankie the ninja in the background

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
Hi Fitzchiv - a big warm welcome to you, Mrs Fitzchiv, Daisy and Frankie   :welcome:

It's always a thorny issue, the old "indoor/outdoor" debate, but there's no doubt about it that most cats love being able to access outdoor space, and once they get accustomed to it, it's a rare cat who will choose to remain an indoor only cat.

There are so many differing views on the subject, and all have valid points to be made.  personally, I favoured keeping kitten cats indoors until around 6 months old, and then only permitting them to go out on strictly supervised outings, and before they'd had anything to eat, so it was easier to coax them back in.  With our last 3 cats, that went completely out fo the window when my hubby began taking them on supervised strolls in the garden and the surrounds when they were still very much only babies - around the 3m onth mark.  However, they weren't allowed out unsupervised until around 6 months old, and that was easier to enforce, as by that time the weather was beginning to change towards Autumn, and we'd installed a microchip reader catflap with a curfew option.

Fully understand your joint concerns about safety - we've lost two of our own cats to RTA's in the past year (both had free access to the outdoors) and one of our neighbours cats have been killed and one injured in the last four months.  This has led to something of a division between me and OH - I would prefer to keep our remaining cats as garden cats and get our garden cat proofed.

However, this would incur a considerable amount of expense as it would inolve removing a conifer hedge around 7.5 feet tall (not cheap) and DIY/tree felling skills we dont have, OH wins the day with his belief that cats should be allowed freedom to roam, for whatever time is theirs for living. 

You can get kittensoft collars (in a range of sizes) from Kittyboo collars (online) and they only do breakaway collars.  However, always worthwhile reviewing the construction even of "safety collars" as some have been found to have faulty construction, which, if there is no keeper mechanism on the band, can result in the collar tightening instead of breaking if it gets snagged. 

I think you may be in for some sleepless nights once your girls begin exploring, as there are bound to be fine evenings when they have so many absorbing things to investigate.  If cat proofing your garden is a viable option, then you may want to think about doing it.  There are various different methods and options available, whether doing it yourselves, or getting in an experienced installer.

Otherwise, I would keep up with the way you've begun - trying to allow them out with you there to keep an eye on them.  Dont let them go too far at first.  Leave the back door open, so they have a safe point of retreat.  Think about getting a cat flap fitted if there isn't one there already, so the girls can gain access to the house without having to wait for you to return home - especially useful with winter coming on, and the potential perils of the weeks leading up to 5th November.

Cant recommend Sureflap microchip flaps highly enough - you can get different models, some with dualscan functions if you needed to ground one cat whilst giving the other free access, and another with a curfew function, so you can elect to keep your cats in within certain periods you choose yourself.  Having said that, our cats managed perfectly well for years with just an ordinary flap, so it's a question of convenience and cost when it comes to choice.

Do you have any piccies of your girls?  (hint hint!  :evillaugh:)

Offline Fitzchiv

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Daisy
Two house cats getting ready to go outside...collar and general advice needed
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 12:39:24 PM »
Hi all,

We've been in our house for a couple of months now and our girls, 2 and 3yr old, had exclusively lived in a large second floor flat with us for their entire lives (bar visits to the cattery when we went on holiday).

They've adapted well to the house, and we've started letting them out on very closely supervised forays into the garden. We initially started with leads but have since dropped them and opted for close observation and the odd intervention as they get used to the (badly) fenced perimeter of our garden.

What's become apparent is they absolutely LOVE it. They were very happy cats anyway, but this experience of a new interesting world has meant much crying at the back door and desperation to get out amongst the plants and bushes. It's left me and my wife with a bit of a conundrum really. Neither of us are 100% comfortable with letting them out - purely out of safety, and because they show no real desire to come back into the house, but we recognise it's an inevitability really.

So, I'm looking for advice on a few things really;

1) How old was your cat when it became "outdoors"? Daisy is 3.5yrs, and Frankie is 2.5yrs and both, as I said, have been exclusively indoor until now.

2) We have had both of them chipped, and Daisy wears a collar (we have an ID capsule ready to use) but an issue with Frankie is she has very fine fur and, upon trialling the same kind of collar as Daisy, we discovered it had irritated and scabbed up her neck. Can anyone recommend a fine/soft quick release collar?

3) How did you go about phasing their exposure to the outside world, and have you any tips on getting them back again!? (we've been letting them out before feeding, so they're hungry, and they barely register food noises and calls - it's all way too interesting)

Any and all advice welcome

Link to CatChat