Author Topic: Cat flap and new kitten  (Read 2025 times)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
Re: Cat flap and new kitten
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2014, 08:55:55 AM »
One way to prevent feline visitors is to increase your own cat numbers  ;) 

We are slaves to 7 of the blighters, 4 boys and 3 gals.  As far as I know, we very rarely have any feline visitors especially when Groucho marks the kitchen cupboard directly opposite the cat flap  :tired:  Oh the joys of being a cat slave!  :evillaugh:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2014, 06:50:02 AM »

Bet you can't wait - it's like Christmas coming early.   :)

Hollycat, that's exactly why we now have microchip flaps - we had a Big Burglar Cat who terrorised our previous cats in their own home, and smashed his way out through two of our flaps.   :-:   Best thing we ever did was get the microchip flap.  I could flog them for Sureflap - they're such a good company.  :) We've just changed the batteries in both of our flaps for the first time - one after 9 months and one after 18 months.

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 22:09:45 PM »
I don't have a cat flap but my sister does and she gets all sorts of visitors  ;D

Offline mollycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 20:59:34 PM »
Thanks all, I'd be much happier with the kitten restricted to one room when we're out, plus I don't want to risk him following ours out of the cat flap. So excited, we're collecting him later this week  ;D

Offline Bren22

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Carrie, Harvey & Jess & fostermum for CCG and all my lovely pets on the bridge
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 13:32:32 PM »
I'd definitely restrict the new kitten to one room until ready to go outside on its own.  My own cats Harvey and Carrie use the flap but Fostercat Ebony and her kittens don't as I shut them out of the kitchen when I go out.  they have the run of the hall, stairs, landing and their own bedroom so aren't deprived at all.  It also lets my cats have some peace from being pestered by little furries!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 11:50:36 AM »
Rosella, that was a trip down memory lane - have just spent time watching a number of your videos and smiling away to myself.   :) :hug: :hug:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 08:51:11 AM »
Tailgaiting is always a potential problem no matter what type of flap methinks.

Groucho trying his best to open flap when he were a wee bitty bitty thing with Dinah chilling nearby  :Luv2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2a7Nb7a-F8&list=UU_d2d9QW2NWdL2SUr5c86yA

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 07:33:55 AM »
Well, I confess that Moray did manage to tailgate Tinks on one occasion.   :shify:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 20:35:39 PM »
Is tailgating still a problem though Sue?  :shify:

We have successfully managed to keep little uns in till they've been spayed.  It takes some effort though and there are occasions when the older ones had to either put up with staying in kitchen or had to suffer lock down with the young uns.  No lasting damage  :)

We have normal cat flap but you can set it on in only, out only, fully open or fully closed.  They only problem we had was that Dinah learned how to lift flap towards her  :innocent:  Happily she is the mumcat and already spayed when she arrived with her two babies.  I had no qualms at all about locking the youngsters in a room whilst we were out so that the older ones could come and go as they pleased.  Left radio on though so they could listen to the news  :)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 18:16:24 PM »
You can get a sureflap dualscan microchip reader - this does allow you to select which cats can come and go.  It's expensive but effective and can highly recommend it.

Offline mollycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 15:37:10 PM »
Thanks, we have a microchip cat flap but ours only stops other cats coming in, any could go out, not sure if you can get them that work both ways?

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 14:57:42 PM »
I think it would be a very good idea to keep kitten in one room while you are out, irrespective of cat-flap issues (although one of the micro-chip flaps can be programmed for individual cats, I don't know if it would be possible for kitten to follow the big cat out).

Offline mollycat

• Adult Cat
Cat flap and new kitten
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 10:20:10 AM »
Hi all,
Looking for some more advice whilst we await the arrival of our new kitten. Just wondered how people had successfully managed allowing your existing cat free access to the cat flap whilst the new kitten is being kept in. Would it be unfair to keep the kitten in one (quite large) room when we're out? Could give kitten free run of the house by shutting kitchen door but then our existing cat would be confined to the kitchen where he doesn't usually spend time. Luckily my husband works from home a lot so would only really be an issue two days a week.

Thanks again  :)

Link to CatChat