Author Topic: pooping outside but not peeing outside litterbox  (Read 1368 times)

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
Re: pooping outside but not peeing outside litterbox
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 07:32:56 AM »

It could be a number of things with regard to his use of the tray, especially with him being blind too.

I would say perhaps try a second and even a third tray with different litters in it to that which you have in the original tray. 

Also think about the size of the tray - if it's too small, that may be contributing to the issue.  A larger tray or a shallower tray may be worth investigating.

As he's defecating outside the box, it's not being covered up, so maybe scent is playing a part here - given he cant see, he will rely much more on his other senses to feel safe and confident in his surroundings. 

There's a super book (which might be hard to get hold of, but worth a look on Amazon) by Nicholas Dodman called The Cat Who Cried for Help by a British Vet who works in the US, and there's a whole chapter in that about inappropriate toiletting and the issues which can arise and how to help work out what's causing it.   

Offline princesskasren

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Jezabel
pooping outside but not peeing outside litterbox
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 19:38:35 PM »
So Oscar the blind kitty ahs started pooping otside his litter box. He will pee there but not poop. I have changed nothing in his environment he's been checked by a vet and I ahve tried  taking the top of his box to see if it was too short and he couldn't squat properly, He is onlly pooping in his room but not necessarily in the same place...pretty much all over. He will go into the box turn around a couple of times then go out and poop on the carpet. A lot of the stuff I have read online may not work for him as he is blind but it's a real problem not just for me cleaning it up but because he is blind he's then walking thru it and tracking it everywhere and cleaning himself and i am worried he'll get an infection or something...any ideas?

Link to CatChat