Author Topic: Reassurance wanted!  (Read 3250 times)

Offline mollycat

• Adult Cat
Re: Reassurance wanted!
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2015, 18:28:45 PM »
Thank you all, I've spent the last few weeks following your advice. Bert (our older cat) seemed to be coming round to Bill the kitten, but lately he seems to have changed his mind and stays out of the house in his little shelter for much of the day. I lock him in at night but end up having to keep the kitten away from him as he attacks him constantly. Things are ok when I have the feather toy out but as soon as I have to do something else the scrapping starts. Bert has no patience with the kitten at all.

Would I be better letting the kitten roam the house at night in the hope that he'll get bored of attacking Bert eventually? We seem to be on constant shifts with the two of them at the moment. Bill's off for the snip in a couple of weeks so do you think he might be easier for Bert to live with once he's going outside too? So upsetting to see your original cat unhappy.

Thanks again.

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Charlie, Poppy, Wordy and Ollie. RIP Bridge Baby Harry. x
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2014, 09:15:55 AM »
Bill is lovely, have a good play session with him in the evening once he's said hello to his big brother. Maybe something they can play together? A Senses Track or a Flying Frenzie.
We had to buy a 2nd Frenzie as 3 adult cats and 1 naughty kitten was a bit much for 1. So at times I was in the garden with a Frenzie in each hand trying to play with 4 cats.
Even after more than a year Ollie the youngest is still very playful, but its the biggest boy Charlie that plays with him the most.
Ollie is still trying to find his place in the pecking order.
Thing take time, make sure you big boy gets his time and fuss, then let the little one out to rampage play.

Good luck and more photos please.  :)

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2014, 07:57:34 AM »
How cute is Bill  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: 

Does Bert have high places out of reach from Bill he can escape to when he has had enough? Shame about Bills bed, but better safe than sorry.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2014, 06:49:18 AM »

Gill's right, I feel.  I think Bill is just enjoying his brief time as a kitten a little too much for Bert, who is setting parameters of what he will tolerate and what he wont.

And yes, no doubt Bert will be unhappy at this turn of events in his home, but as Bill calms down (and he should) the situation should ease.  I'd maybe try to Bill integrate a little more often, and try to tire him out with play as much as your husband can during the day.  that will help to give Bert a break.

We have a situation at present where our neighbour's kitten, who has just started going out on his own, is constantly trying to bushwhack and ambush his cul de sac buddies (our two cats, and his own bigger bruvver).  It's like a commando mission when any of them wants to go out through the flap.   :shify:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2014, 00:41:35 AM »
Dont worry they will at the worst accept each other in time  :hug: :hug:

Lupin who is now 4 has moreorless been accepted by the other two, Sasa still meeps at him and tells not to come any closer and Lupin and him some times have a rumble although sometimes its Misa who sticks out a paw first...sigh

Now Lupin has been here over 3 years!!

Offline mollycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2014, 23:14:23 PM »
Ps...have now put this bed away after reading the dangerous bed post - so grateful to have read it  :(

Offline mollycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2014, 22:11:33 PM »
Hi all, thank you for all your replies; I've attached a photo of our new addition, Bill  :Luv2:

We did all the introductions as advised, things are hit and miss so I'm still looking for reassurance. Our Bert seemed ok with Bill when they first started to mix in the evenings, but things have gone downhill just because Bill is so lively and getting up to expected kitten behaviour. He irritates Bert who gives him a bop on the nose, but that doesn't stop him hounding him so I end up putting the kitten back in his room because I'm worried about Bert being miserable, I'm not sure if this is helping as he just goes all the more crazy when he's out (he only free roams in the evening, he's in his room with my husband who works from home in the day).

At the moment it feels like they'll never get on and that we've been really naïve thinking that Bert would accept a boisterous kitten  :(

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2014, 15:57:05 PM »
I've got the binoculars out waiting for da flying stork Santa to go over with kitty in arms. 

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2014, 06:56:48 AM »
Fursday, well I can't wait now.  Stork watch!  Aren't kittens delivered by Santa Paws during his off season?    :rofl: :Luv:

Yes indeed, but I have it on good authority that he likes to dress as a stork for the sake of convention.   ;)

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2014, 21:26:46 PM »
Fursday, well I can't wait now.  Stork watch!  Aren't kittens delivered by Santa Paws during his off season?    :rofl: :Luv:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2014, 07:50:43 AM »

Yesh and my grin is as big as a house.   :naughty:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2014, 07:12:20 AM »
Are you on Stork Watch Sue?  :evillaugh:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2014, 06:51:55 AM »
 ;D   Oooo, I feel excited for you!   We love new arrivals, we do.   ;D

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2014, 20:58:46 PM »
Bert will think it's his birthday  :Luv2: :hug:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline mollycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2014, 20:53:19 PM »
Thanks Sue, we passed the home visit today so can pick up our kitten on Thursday  :Luv:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2014, 06:53:45 AM »
A big Thumbs Up for your patience.   :) :hug:  Hope the home visit can be carried out soon. 

Offline mollycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2014, 10:07:44 AM »
Thanks all, still waiting patiently for our home visit as the rescue is so busy, will post photos as soon as we get him  :Luv2:

Offline Greenlaner

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Billy
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2014, 19:27:57 PM »
I had a pair since kitten days together for 13 full years.  It was fun madcap time and they had a great life. The one left managed nearly five more years. They tossed the yorkie out of his basket, he went and nudged them and got back in . Climbed everything, swung from rails and curtains. It was nice when got to about ten and matured at last.  :rofl:    My current cat is a tabby but cats don't really know what colour they are , so it won't effect them at all. Good luck.  :hug:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2014, 20:22:08 PM »
No experience of more than 1 cat but wish you lots of luck.

From what I've read on here over the years with other members they've done really well.

Mary

Offline Big Cat Lover

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Lucky (also Tiger and Gypsy RIP)
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 09:45:33 AM »
Good on you for adopting a new furbaby! I have a soft spot for black and white moggies - my Lucky is black and white, as was my soulmate Gypsy.
Do not walk in front of me, I will not follow
Do not walk behind me, I will not lead
Just walk beside me and be my friend

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 08:41:58 AM »
Fingers crossed the home check will be done soon and your little black and white boy is soon with you settling in nicely :)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 07:31:49 AM »
 :wow:  A little black and white boy!   ;D  Cant wait to meet him and see his piccies.   :)

I think on the whole kittens are easier to integrate provided your existing cat isn't a single pensioner cat, used to peace, quiet and solitude. As to bossiness, it's a bit of a lottery, but if they get along companionably well to begin with, the chances are they'll find their own level with each other.

Offline mollycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 21:08:09 PM »
Thank you all  :hug:

Sam, I'm hoping little one won't become too bossy, I suppose this is something I won't know until he's settled in.

Sue, great idea about the scent swapping, I will definitely do that. We're just waiting for our home check, sounds like they're overrun with kittens and really busy but I'm hoping they'll manage it this week.

Purdy - thanks so much for the links, am reading everything I can now that I've discovered how important the introduction is.

emmmy lou - I'd heard kittens were easier which is why we've chosen one; to be honest I'd have rather have had a harder to home cat like Bert was, but of course the baby is gorgeous. All of his siblings have gone because they were tabby, he hasn't been chosen because he's black and white. :(

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 09:44:29 AM »
It sounds like Bert would love a little friend!

Having done introductions not so long ago, it can be a lot harder and stressfull than it is on paper! Having said that though, kittens are apparently a lot easier to introduce.

You seem to have done your homework though, I bet you cant wait for your new baby to arrive!  :Luv:
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 07:42:42 AM »
I think as long as the introductions are done to their royal standards everything should be fine. 

Here's the Purrs guide:

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php?topic=4789.0

You Tube guide by Cats Protection:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQ3cHSBx2_Y

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 07:23:53 AM »
You could make good inroads now by scent swapping - taking something smelling of Bert to leave with your new baby, and taking something on which you have his scent - an old clean sock is favourite - rub it all over the little one and then take it back for Bert to investigate.  That way, the scent at least wont be totaly strange to Bert.

Sounds like Bert could have a dream come true with his new companion, and that you're willing to put the time in to make that work.  When will your new arrival be ready to join you in your home?

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 19:37:27 PM »
As long as you let them just sort it out for themselves I can't see any problems.  If Bert already likes other cats as long as your new baby isn't too bossy it should be fine  :hug:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline mollycat

• Adult Cat
Reassurance wanted!
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 18:48:13 PM »
Hi all,
 Thank you so much for all the good advice I have found here in the past about my Bert.
Bert is 5 and absolutely loves other cats, he sits and waits in next door's garden for their cat to come out, and has happily snuggled up to other local cats when they allow it.
We've thought long and hard about it and have reserved a boy kitten at the local rescue thinking that Bert will be happy to have some cat company.
I suppose I'm just looking for some reassurance from people with experience that bringing in another cat can go well (of course we'd do slow introduction, give kitten a safe room etc), as I've read so many examples of where the original cat has been upset by it and would rather decide now before we commit.
Thanks again.

Link to CatChat