Author Topic: feeding only dry food??  (Read 1479 times)

Offline girlinleeds

• Senior Cat
Re: feeding only dry food??
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 19:57:39 PM »
thanks everyone, we have tried lots of different brands from the cheap to the expensive, we've decided to keep them on the dry to keep there tummies stable and then gradually try some wet food again and see what happens. we thought it was food with grains in causing the problem but have tried grain free food and while its been better there poo is still very loose. we do have water bowls dotted around the house, water is changed twice a day and we do see them drinking

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 19:38:32 PM »
If their body is functioning better, then I would stick to the dried food. Have you tried different brands of wet tho?

Likewise make sure they are drinking enough, if not maybe a water fountain may help, or supplement with some cat milk maybe?
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline SamMewl

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
    • Yorkshire Cat Rescue
  • Slave to: gizmo, gingurr, nemo, mittens and brujo. always with me, leroy w murgatroyd
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 00:00:51 AM »
If they are thriving on dry (especially the 'good stuff' like applaws) I don't see it as a problem. Though make sure you have lots of water in a couple of places. even more important because they are indoor. It might be worth trying Bella on hypo-allergenic food for 8-12 weeks just in case she has a food allergy. The applaws tends to have less additives so could be her problem, you can get hypo-allergenic in wet and dry, and after the trial period you will know going forward if this is an issue or not.
good luck xxx
:) Please text CATS22 £5 to 70070 to feed a cat for a week :)

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 19:09:23 PM »
how about adding in some home cooked white fish and chicken breast with a bit of added broth - and Grau do a herbal paste with added vitamins which mine love, and which doesn't contain any of the usual intolerance triggers

I'd cut out all treats too, as most contain yeast, which cats like, but which can upset some cats
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline girlinleeds

• Senior Cat
feeding only dry food??
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 17:56:58 PM »
Were really struggling with bella and jess eating, bella always had a bit of a sensitive tum but we finally found a wet food that didnt upset her tummy. Since day one weve had issues with jess and diarrhoea, have tried no end of different foods/ vets visits and have came to the conclusion shes just very sensitive. Bella started with a dodgy tum again vets visits and shes fine just upset tummy. It got to the point were we didnt know what to do so I said we'll stop the wet food see what happens if nothing improves stop the dry food. Within days of stopping the wet food neither cat has diarrhoea/upset tummy just normal poo, litter tray doesnt smell so bad I want to vomit either and  both cats looking so much better. They have applaws dry food but unsure what to do, I know dry food isnt great for them but then surely long term upset tummies aren't either, any suggestions???

Link to CatChat