Author Topic: help fleas  (Read 2171 times)

Offline siou2

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Taz, Marvin, Monty, Merlin & DS RIP Tasha & Baldrick
Re: help fleas
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2014, 10:20:58 AM »
Hi,

been to vets yesterday, kitten is nice and clean - no fleas - hurray!!  Had his 1st injection and a worming tablet and was a very good boy throughout.  Atm he weighs 2.2kg, he's starting to teethe & vet thinks he has some norwegian forest cat genes in him because of his temperament.

So he may turn into a big lad, though he doesn't look it.  Merlin my maine coon lookalike is 13lb, 2 years old and still doesn't look like he's grown into his paws, so he may get even bigger.  At this rate i'm gonna have to buy a trough  :rofl:

Back in 3 weeks for his next injections & to see if his wotsits are in place so he can have the snip..

PS.  Uncle Marvin is doing a grand job of kitten sitting at night, if the kittens' on his own he starts crying  :thanks: unky marv!!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 12:25:35 PM by siou2 »

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2014, 10:53:39 AM »
I found this recipe via Pinterest - apparently you can use orange liquid as a spray - it might be worth thinking about if it's ok for kittens etc:

Homemade flea spray: Put the peels from three or four oranges in a large saucepan with one quart of water and boil until the peels are soft. Let the peels cool, then blend the peels with some of the cooled water in the blender. Return the blended peels to the rest of the water, then strain and funnel the strained liquid into a spray bottle. This mixture can also be sprayed on pets, furniture, bedding, carpets, this  actually kill the fleas.

I've not tried it myself and I would check with your vet to see if the citrus are ok for kitty to digest when they lick their coats.

Offline siou2

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2014, 21:43:05 PM »
good news!!

Hubby's just brushed a dead flea off stevie, YAY!!!!  So it's started to work, woo hoo.  Oh by the way Stevie's mum is a pedigree cross which explains why stevie looks like a turkish van cat - see pic

Offline siou2

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2014, 21:13:00 PM »
Hi,

thanks for all the suggestions.  Well its official evie is actually stevie, lol.  So far stevie has been bathed, frontlined, flea sprayed & powdered.  Yes he had them badly. 

Think i've got a handle on them now as I picked 7 of them off his face before tea and haven't seen anymore so far.  I have heard when they're all heading for the face they're running out of hiding spots?  Maybe an old wives tale, but I don't dare give him anything else and will carry on with the flea comb.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 21:35:44 PM by siou2 »

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2014, 20:18:56 PM »
What a beautiful cat. I always wanted a white cat and if I had one I would call him Shadow. ;D

Offline Tigerlily (Allison)

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Toby
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2014, 20:04:30 PM »
Aww, he's gorgeous  :Luv2: :Luv2:
http://www.cat-rescue1.co.uk/

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16
Always in my thoughts, forever in my heart

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2014, 19:09:34 PM »
 Boo (like a white ghost)
Flocon (means snowflakes in Russian)
Blanco (White in Spanish)
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2014, 09:24:52 AM »
Oh my, he's a handsome little chap  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:  Afraid I am pretty useless with coming up with names  :-[  but will let you know if I anything suddenly pops into my head :)

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 22:56:45 PM »
Awww, what a little sweetie  :Luv2: - even with the fleas!

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 21:13:58 PM »
You can get stuff called Capstar which is a tablet and kills everything in 24 hours

My fluffy white boy is called Echo
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline siou2

• Adult Cat
Re: help fleas - new name needed - pics here
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 20:09:15 PM »
pics for you all

Offline siou2

• Adult Cat
Re: help fleas - new name needed
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 19:44:23 PM »
Also just had a good look underneath and I think Evie is really Ivan, so they couldn't even get that right.  Does anyone have any good names for a semi long haired white boy with a black tail?  Pic to follow...
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 19:46:10 PM by siou2 »

Offline siou2

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 19:01:23 PM »
If Evie's been de-flead any time in her short life i'll show my a**e on the town hall steps.  So angry right now, bathed her, she's crawling, got rid of some frontlined the rest. 

Watching her carefully and am now de-fleaing the rest of my bunch early, boil washing anything she's been in contact with - just in case.  Such a shame as she's a lovely girl, at least she won't get them again if I can help it,  :thanks:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 18:19:45 PM »
I would give her a bath with washing up liquid (I know it's not good for coats but on this occasion it will be OK as a quick fix).   The washing up liquid should kill most of the fleas if you lather her up well.  Rinse very well, Dry her off, use a flea comb on her every day just to catch any strays and then re-do the frontline in two weeks.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline siou2

• Adult Cat
help fleas
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 18:14:58 PM »
just got a 4 month old kitten, was told she had frontline used on her 2 weeks ago turns out she's riddled, giving her a bath now.  I have a frontline combo can I use this on her. I am frightened I will overdose her, please help

Link to CatChat