Author Topic: Window safety  (Read 1738 times)

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
Re: Window safety
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 17:31:13 PM »
I looked at these but very expensive so I made my own with fly screen 49p chicken wire £5.99 and some 1"x1" timber £6 or free.

And I did 3 windows

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Amber and Chilli
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 22:33:29 PM »
They definitely do have the added bonus of keeping of flies/moths/spiders etc. Ours are the same, velcro'd all round onto the white plastic bit of the window. Feels very secure for velcro and the cats bizarrely just completely ignore it!

http://furrytripod.wordpress.com/ : Casper's tripod blog and sponsorship page

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 18:26:35 PM »
Thanks, I have the type with frames but as I also use them as a spider-preventer I think frameless would better as the solid frame is only velcroed in the corners meaning the rest of the frame is not 100% flush to the windowframe = unwanted entries  :hairrasin:

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 09:58:15 AM »
Yes, the mesh is just made into a kind of 'hem' around the edges to strengthen it.

It sounds a bit rubbish, but they are velcro'd onto the inside of your window frame, but the velcro is VERY strong.
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 21:08:05 PM »
Are they frameless? Had a look on the website but couldn't figure out from the pics  :doh:

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 00:30:21 AM »
I am a flat cat advocate too, we had one for the bedroom window when Denzel and Dexter were kittens so we could have the window open at night without the fear of the cats getting out.
There is a flat roof below it.

I rang them re the size as our window wasnt a standard size, and they just sent a larger one rather than them having to make one.

we dont use it any more, but they are sturdy, robust and goor value for money!
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Amber and Chilli
Window safety
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 22:20:10 PM »
Hi All
Thought I'd write a quick post on this as we've recently moved to a new house and it has the kind of windows that only open bottom first. Not an issue on the ground floor, but on our first floor I was pretty worried about the cats falling (Chilli fell off a first floor windowsill at my old flat) but equally didn't want to boil in the heat we had last month. I ordered a 'flatcat' (http://www.flat-cats.com/index.php) which is basically a mesh cover that velcro's around the window. I have to admit that I was pessimistic that this mesh could actually stop my 2 cats from getting out of the upstairs window, but since fitting it they have completely ignored the open window. Its as if it is shut, they haven't tried to claw it or anything.

Anyway, I was so impressed that I thought I was post this on here, they aren't cheap for what they are but I have 2 safe cats and a nice breeze in my bedroom so I'm happy!

http://furrytripod.wordpress.com/ : Casper's tripod blog and sponsorship page

Link to CatChat