Author Topic: Sourcing istin tarnsdermal gel in UK  (Read 1674 times)

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
Re: Sourcing isitn tarnsdermal gel in UK
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 09:46:04 AM »
There is a piece on transdermal meds here

http://www.felinecrf.org/medicating_your_cat.htm

You have to scroll down quite a bit but it has some really useful links.

If you decide that transdermal is the way to go it might be worth asking your local pharmacist if he can compound your medicine into gel form?

Just one word if warning, if you do find an overseas pharmacy that stocks and ships thus drug without prescription be extremely careful that it is a genuine site and the product is not a fake drug. Your lad is too precious to take risks.  :shify:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 22:50:41 PM »
So sorry  :hug: :hug:

Offline LilysStaff

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Lily
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 22:24:28 PM »
I'm afraid, Gill, that I'll know that she hasn't, which isn't all that helpful.  Lily says 'No' to little bits of food with stuff in it.  She'll only take food from my fingers if it's irresistible- and what she thinks is irresistible varies from one day to the next, and is totally unpredictable.  At the moment I'm using the tablets up on a 3 to 1 ratio- three quarter-tablets rejected by her for every one quarter actually delivered- and God knows how much discarded food.   I'm exhausted and she's getting suspicious  >:(  about any food I give her.   I have to find a more reliable way! :tired:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 20:52:50 PM »
If you feed it in bits in food off you finger you will lmow whether she has eaten it

Offline LilysStaff

• Kitten
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 20:50:17 PM »
Thanks for replies- I had tracked down the US supplier but thought there might be a slim chance that someone here might actually have found a UK source for- and used- the transdermal stuff.  The real problem with adding the tabs to food is that I'm trying at the same time to introduce a low-iodine diet, for the hyperthyroid state that we assume caused the high BP.  Having to worry about whether or not she's eaten all the small portion with a tablet in it (yes, the 1/4 tab dose) before I offer the main course is an added stress for both of us. Ah well- I'm about to try pill pockets, and hope I can get the gel eventually.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 20:17:54 PM »
My late Kpcka couldnt be pi;;ed and needed a quarter of a mini tab for blood pressure and she used to eat it crushed in a pate food, off my finger!

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 19:23:40 PM »
the generic name is amlodipine, but the transdermal gel seems to be available only in the USA

the supplier seems to be this company http://www.wedgewoodpetrx.com/items/amlodipine-transdermal-gel.html

you could try ringing or emailing them to see if they supply to anywhere in the  UK
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline LilysStaff

• Kitten
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 19:10:55 PM »
Sorry, of course typo for istin in title.

Offline LilysStaff

• Kitten
Sourcing istin tarnsdermal gel in UK
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 19:08:47 PM »
Hello, everyone.  I've seen references in this forum somewhere to istin (amlopidine- for high blood pressure) being available as a gel.  I have a once-feral cat who has very high BP and who is very resistant to accepting any tablets.  I'm managing, with a struggle (powder in food and so on) but the gel would be a real help.  Does anyone know of a UK supplier?  My vet is onside about this but their group seems to have difficulty sourcing it.  Hope someone can help Lily and me!  It's pretty urgent.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 12:15:32 PM by Rosella moggy »

Link to CatChat