Author Topic: weight  (Read 1632 times)

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
Re: weight
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 23:49:56 PM »
I don't really know about kittens but I would have thought it might be 'puppy fat'  :hug:

I think a lot of the 'weight problem' is because everyone tries to be P.C. but I also think it's dangerous to have really heavy pets because of heart problems and arthritis.

So don't deprive him of his Dreamies  ;)

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline gillian86

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Mully and Lexi
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 20:04:07 PM »
I wouldn't worry about his weight at 4 months.  He's still a baby and will be running all over the place.  How much do you feed him?   I think kittens of that age should eat as much as they want but by the time he gets to about 6/7 months (esp after neutering) you might want to cut back a little if you think he's not growing out of it, especially if you feed dry food.  But I wouldn't worry too much at the moment.  Kittens undergo various growth spurts and in a couple of months you might find he's suddenly gone long and lanky!

We currently feed him 4 times a day sometimes a little more if he seems more hungry and he gets treats occasionally. He was on just dry food but he now gets wet some days to, he is always running around like a mad thing so I think if he can still get around fine and is happy I won't worry to much.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 18:16:21 PM »
I wouldn't worry about his weight at 4 months.  He's still a baby and will be running all over the place.  How much do you feed him?   I think kittens of that age should eat as much as they want but by the time he gets to about 6/7 months (esp after neutering) you might want to cut back a little if you think he's not growing out of it, especially if you feed dry food.  But I wouldn't worry too much at the moment.  Kittens undergo various growth spurts and in a couple of months you might find he's suddenly gone long and lanky!

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 19:29:15 PM »
I asked the vet the same question, they don't seem to know. Just like humans it varies. My two are brothers 6and a halm months old, one weighs 8 and  a half pounds the other 8lbs 3oz. They both eat the same and run around like loonies   ;D

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 18:44:10 PM »
No idea sorry but so what if they do say he is on the chubby side!!

Kittens often lose their chubbyness as they grow up.

Offline gillian86

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Mully and Lexi
weight
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 17:55:19 PM »
What is a healthy weight for a 4 month old kitten, currently he weighs 2.4kg and wondering if that's a bit on the heavy side. We are taking him for his  month check on Friday and are worried they may say he's a bit fat.

Link to CatChat