Author Topic: Is unusual behaviour a sign of grief?  (Read 2256 times)

Offline CuteCats

• Distinguished Cat
Re: Is unusual behaviour a sign of grief?
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2014, 12:14:42 PM »
Sounds like grief, and the cystitis could have been caused by that too.  One of ours sometimes gets it when stressed or something has changed.  Maybe a cystitis treatment or zylkene would help?  Some bladder support treatments help stress.  The vet gave Tompuss some Cystophan and worked well for him.

Offline Newlis

• Kitten
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2014, 18:28:07 PM »
No, everything about her seems normal except for the sitting outside. She has come indoors of her own accord more often today, usually when it has begun to rain and then has gone back out when the weather has become a bit fairer and the rain has stopped.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2014, 18:11:40 PM »
kidney disease impairs cognitive function in humans and animals - toxins building up in the brain, perhaps -  so I suspect the sitting out in the rain is one of the manifestations of that - does she seem confused in other ways as well?
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2014, 17:55:15 PM »
Possibly feel the need for water but dont feel thirsty or feeling hot , may have a temperature.............pure guessing on my part.

Offline Newlis

• Kitten
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2014, 17:43:03 PM »
He did say the last time I was there that her kidney function may be declining but would need her to finish her antibiotics for her infection and then wait a couple of weeks for those to clear her system before he could take another blood test and a urine test to see how her kidneys are functioning.

Does anyone know why kidney disease may cause a cat to want to sit out in the rain?

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2014, 15:26:01 PM »
a quick google suggests sitting out in the rain can be a symptom of kidney disease, so you need to mention this to the vet next week
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Newlis

• Kitten
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 14:14:37 PM »
She is due back at the vet's next week for a check-up so we'll see if the infection has cleared up fully then. I will talk to the vet about her weird behaviour as well, if she's still doing it by then. Would be great if I could sort out her problem for her sooner because I don't like locking them indoors when they're used to being able to come and go as they please but on the other hand the weather is looking grim for the next few days and I don't want her to sit outside in it for hours on end.  :innocent: 

Also I don't think her brother is bothering her, at least, no more than usual. And she's no angel either.  :innocent: Usually it's no more serious then giving each other a tap as they walk past each other. Most of the time their disagreements are because he wants to play but she does not.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 13:53:26 PM »
Think its worth discussing with the vet but does sound grief oriented to me

Offline Newlis

• Kitten
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 12:59:57 PM »
Well I haven't seen her straining at all since she began taking her medication almost 3 weeks ago. And since coming off her medication I've seen her urinate indoors in her kitty litter tray and outside in the grass and she seemed to be urinating normally.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 12:10:02 PM »
If she is going back in for a check up soon, it would make sense to try and bring a fresh urine sample with you.  Sooooooo much easier said than done  :hug:

Our Dinah has had bouts of cystitis which I blame on our cat Groucho who is a terrible bully (but no physical injuries yet  :shify: ). 

After paying out a fortune in vet fees, ABs and pain killer, we now have an emergency supply of pain killer and have changed her diet to RC Urinary S/O wet and dry.  She won't eat the wet on it's own but gobbles everything down if a sprinkling of the dry stuff is on top.  Touch wood things are looking good after 5 weeks of new diet.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 11:53:43 AM »
Is there any chance that her brother is upsetting her?  (Sorry Bro; don't mean to blame you but boys will be boys  :innocent:

Cystitis could be caused by stress? Just a thought.  If she is toileting outside it will be difficult for you to be sure whether the cystitis has cleared up or not  :hug:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 11:38:05 AM »
If she had cystitis last week it's more likely that she is associating the indoors with the pain and discomfort of that affliction. If you have ever suffered from cystitis it us very unpleasant, and cats will shy away from places they associate with pain. It may take a while before she realises the pain has gone, meantime you need to convince her it's safe and pleasant indoors. Make sure she comes inside for food and give her treats like cooked chicken every time she comes inside. Rewarding positive behaviour will increase her confidence and you should soon get your girl back inside.  :hug:

Do mention this to your vet, it maybe she is still in pain and needs further medical help.

Offline Newlis

• Kitten
Is unusual behaviour a sign of grief?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 11:15:22 AM »
Hello all,

I made a post on the 22nd July regarding the death of one of my cats and now I'm writing because I'm a little concerned about the behaviour of another of my cats.

It could just be coincidental but since the death of her mother one of my cats has been acting a bit weird. As far as I can tell (because I have to go sleep/go out sometimes) apart from coming indoors to eat and drink she just stays outside all the time. She just stays curled up in the grass, even if it is soaking wet or raining which is making me concerned that she might catch cold or something. She never used to do this; she was mostly an indoor cat who is also quite timid. She'd go out but would never stay out all the time as she seems to be doing at the moment.

When I call her, she comes bounding over but will stop at the door, stare in and then go away. When she does come in, and isn't there to get something to eat or drink, she appears to be unsettled.

She seems OK health-wise. Still has the same appetite for food and water. Goes to the toilet OK. Still plays, is affectionate and vocal but she doesn't want to be indoors now. She had a bladder infection recently and finished her course of medicine last week and is due back in for a check-up next week, other than that, as far as I'm aware, there is nothing wrong with her. Her brother is completely fine, perhaps attention-seeking a bit more but seems OK.

I've taken to locking the cat flap and keeping her in because I'm afraid she'll just sit out in poor weather all the time and make herself ill but it bothers her that she can't get out and I don't know if I'm making her more stressed by doing that.

Is it possible that she is upset about the death of her mother and this is her way of dealing with her passing? I had wondered if it could be that she can still smell traces of her mother about the house but can't find her and that's what is troubling her? Does anyone have any suggestions?  :scared:

Link to CatChat