Author Topic: help needed for my new kittens!!!  (Read 5394 times)

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
Re: help needed for my new kittens!!!
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2014, 16:24:05 PM »
I could kip on the sofa with the kittens for company...  :evillaugh:

Offline district venom

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Apollo and Artemis
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2014, 00:41:35 AM »
I really appreciate the welcomes and thanks for the encouragement, I would let you come live with me but unless your willing to bunk on my sofa or camp on my balcony  :rofl: thanks guys

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2014, 00:33:43 AM »
Hey DV.  Can I come and live with you please?  Aww go on.  Pleez  :innocent:  I won't get in the way.  I need some TLC and hells bells you sound like you dish it out in spadefuls  :) :) :)

What a fab cat dad you are going to be  :wow: and what a gorgeous duo Artemis and Apollo are  :Luv2: :Luv2:

:welcome: to Purrs.

Push shove.........................me first  :innocent:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2014, 22:01:58 PM »
Hey DV.  Can I come and live with you please?  Aww go on.  Pleez  :innocent:  I won't get in the way.  I need some TLC and hells bells you sound like you dish it out in spadefuls  :) :) :)

What a fab cat dad you are going to be  :wow: and what a gorgeous duo Artemis and Apollo are  :Luv2: :Luv2:

:welcome: to Purrs. 

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2014, 21:36:37 PM »
Hello and welcome ;D

Don't worry about spaying and castration it will be fine. My two boys went in at 9am and came home at 2.30 I let them out of the cat carrier and it was as if nothing had happened, charging round like idiots oh and eating, eating a lot an awful lot  ;D
It is a very long time since I had a female cat that I had to have spayed 25 years and if I remeber right she was kept in over night
All will be well, plenty of support here .
Welcome to the wonderful, frustrating world of a cat slave  ;D ;D

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2014, 20:24:07 PM »
That crate is 36in wide by 26in deep by 27in high and fits a large German Shepherd Dog! Out cats often go in the GSD's crate and roll around on his bed. They love it in there ;) The dog still sleeps in there because he like it and the door is just left open and he sees it as his bed :) Sometimes he is in it and the cats are on the cushions on the roof on top of him LOL! They do get on now but we introduced them very carefully from a young age. I never had any issues leaving them in the crate when they were kittens though. They do sleep quite a bit when they are little. Can you come home and see to them at lunchtime or is someone doing that? They need several small meals a day.
We fed kitten pouches and purina pro kitten food till they were neutered then went on to the adult food. They seem to prefer the adult though and I wouldn't worry if they go straight on to adult. In days gone by there was just 'cat food' and they survived just fine. I'd give them some raw and try and not pander too much to try and avoid them getting over picky. They can get a bit crazy over dry food so we tend to only feed a little of that and stick to timed feeding (we feed them 3X a day as adults but kittens more times) rather than letting them pick all day long. That's our routine anyway.
We are very hands on with them and don't take a lot of nonsense. We pick them up a lot and examine them and make sure you get them used to taking pills and being groomed at an early age too. Firm confident handling seems to work well and now they just let us do what we want. Every morning I pick each one up and rock them like a baby then check them all over including teeth, ears and under the tail so they are fine with that.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 20:26:27 PM by souffle »
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

Offline district venom

• Kitten
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2014, 18:09:56 PM »
It looks as if you are putting a lot of thought and effort into this, I bet the kittens will have a really happy home.
thank you  :Luv: ;D :) :thanks:

Try and not stress about the neutering as they will be fine I assure you. :) When we went for our 2nd jab our kittens were already about 4 months and the vet checked Monty and his testicles were full down and he was over 2.5kg so they said fine to neuter from 5 months and Callie was also a good weight so we booked them in together. They were exactly 5 months when they were done. Some vets wait till 6 months but there may be a chance the female will come in to season before 6 months. For this they went in separate carriers so as not to have any problems when they were in the car. Monty was absolutely fine and I doubt he noticed. He had no stitches. I think they just podded his peas and put some tissue glue on!
Callie was a bit more sore with a shaved side and sleepy afterwards and a bit grumpy. She took longer to persuade to eat but did within about 12hrs. They had some loose motions after the anaesthetic.
Callie went in the pen when unsupervised - here is a pic

She was happy to sleep there as she was tired. Monty did his usual chair back snoozing.
Callie had about 4 stitches which were removed after 10 days I think.

They still played happily if gently for a week or so

Within 10 days they were complely healed and back to chilling together :)

Hope that helps but enjoy them as babies without worrying wont you as they don't stay kittens for very long.

WOW YOUR CATS ARE ADORABLE!!!

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2014, 18:00:46 PM »
It looks as if you are putting a lot of thought and effort into this, I bet the kittens will have a really happy home.

Offline district venom

• Kitten
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2014, 17:58:48 PM »
Ive added in a quick birds eye view of my apartment, with my room, my roommates room, the area which is pretty plain and bare is where I'm thinking of putting all the cat trees and beds and bowls, with a litter tray in my room, the bathroom and the hallway, and if I choose, either the playpen or crates, if I go with the dog crates, what size should I go with?
thanks

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2014, 17:02:36 PM »
Just going off thread for a minute  :evillaugh:

Not seen that adorable pic of C&M before  :Luv2: :Luv2: :hug: :hug:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2014, 13:42:50 PM »
Pens are a lovely idea if you have the room and for helping yuor kitties to settle in, but as a "confinement option"  they only suit for a very short time, because once those kitties are growing apace (and they will!) they will be houdini-esque in no time, and will be able to mountaineer their way out.  The crates have the advantage of having a roof and a door to secure, so better for long term peace of mind until they are proper sensible cats (remind me when that is..... someone?  Anyone?)

Sounds like they're going to be very well looked after with you and your girlfriend.   :Luv:

Just one word of caution with regard to kitten collars - please make sure you buy proper kitten collars - and ones which have a safety breakaway mechanism, not elasticated ones.  A badly fitted or poorly constructed collar can injure and even kill a cat, young or old.  Also steer clear of "flea collars" - they dont work and they can be very dangerous.  Just google Bob Martins and fatalities if in any doubt.

If you have a look on Kittyboo collars website, she will make proper kitten size collars, which have a safety checked breakaway mechanism

http://kittyboocollars.co.uk/

You need to be able to slip two fingers under the collar when it's properly adjusted, and cjheck it regularly as they grow.

And of course you're one of the colony now - as is Mammy District Venom if she wants to be.   :)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2014, 13:42:40 PM »
Reference the play pen kittens and cats learn very quicjly how to jimp and escape sp have some doubys how long the playpen would work,others maybe able to advise better.

The youngest I have ever had is 10month he is called Lupin and with the help of another Purrs member brought him down from otherside of Newcastle to SW Wales, was on my own from manchester lol

He slept virtually the whole way and the trip took many hours.  I suspect your kittens may do the same.

Please make sure that they have plenty of air if the weather is hot and that althouigh covering the carrier may maked them feel safe it will also reduce the air flow. A hard carrier is best and worth it for vet trips during their life so not too small.

If it gets very hot on the journey  part covering the carrier with a damp towel will help to keep them cooler and also positioned correctly will shield them from the sun.

Agree with others dont worry about neutering , for boy cats they are usually bouncing around hours after the minor op. girl cats usually need to wear a cone to stop them pulling outstiches, maybe discuss with your vet if itsvworth getting a soft comphy version, the vet may even supply.

have loads of fun with the kittens and may they bring loads of joy for the next 20ish years  ;D ;D

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2014, 13:37:01 PM »
they will jump out that pen pretty easily I'd imagine. How long will you be leaving them? Having a small room you can cat proof is also helpful. Ours were only in the cage when they first arrived till we felt safe leaving them. We got them at a holiday time so we were there most of the time anyway but if you feel they need crated for their own safety at first I'd go with the enclosed large crate and make sure they are tired before you leave them. We just used a cardboard fruit box with a blanket as a bed and they still have that and still sleep in it! If you do get a cage it needs to be the really good sized one.
This worked for us but your kittens may not be used to caging so you need to see what works with them

Offline district venom

• Kitten
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2014, 13:22:13 PM »
I cant thank all of you enough for welcoming me and making me feel like one of the colony :) but i was wondering because I live in a 2 bedroom flat, which a relatively large-ish lounge, could I set up a puppy playpen for when they are settling in and when I need to leave them for when I go to work, can they escape from them?
I have all the necessary equipment for them; bed, bowls (1 bowl each), water fountain, toys (lots of them), scratching post and only one carrier for now, but i will be getting another one soon, as well as kitten collars. I am just debating on whether I should get the dog crate or the dog pen

Offline district venom

• Kitten
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2014, 13:21:31 PM »
I cant thank all of you enough for welcoming me and making me feel like one of the colony :) but i was wondering because I live in a 2 bedroom flat, which a relatively large-ish lounge, could I set up a puppy playpen for when they are settling in and when I need to leave them for when I go to work, can they escape from them?
I have all the necessary equipment for them; bed, bowls (1 bowl each), water fountain, toys (lots of them), scratching post and only one carrier for now, but i will be getting another one soon, as well as kitten collars. I am just debating on whether I should get the dog crate or the dog pen

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 12:05:37 PM »
I should have added we already had the cage as we had them for dogs. Also there was the fact the Monty used to paddle on Callie and suckle at her tummy which we had to stop when she had her stitches!

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 12:00:33 PM »
I should also say kittens can be naughty  :shify:

Discipline early. Whenever our two went behind the TV or on the kitchen bench they got a firm 'NO!' and plonked somewhere else. Now they rarely do this, and when they do they know they are doing wrong!

What they do when we are out is another thing altogether....  :evillaugh:
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 11:51:35 AM »
 :welcome: DV, and congratulations on becoming a cat slave, it is a great honour! They look very cute!  :Luv:

I got 2 siblings from the same litter of kittens 4 years ago now. They did hide underneath the sideboard for 24hrs at first, but then ventured out, exploring the rest of the room initially for the first week or so before the rest of the house. I cant remember how old they were before we allowed them access to upstairs tho.....

Just keep everything they need in one area at first. Litter tray, food & drink, bed scratch post. Dont have the litter tray TOO near the food tho!!! Plenty of play and handling as well.

I dont have any more advice about transportation, but be prepared for a lot of crying during the journey!  :evillaugh:

Yes ask your vet about neutering when they go for their check/ jabs as opinions vary in the vet world. They may also deflea/ deworm them if not done so already.

Dont worry about the neutering too much, just follow their advice about food and drink beforehand. I never considered a cage or separating them afterwards. They were drowsy for the rest of that day, and the vet gave them some 'bland food' to eat afterwards, but dont recall what it was. After that it was all back to normal. Spaying isn't usually as invasive as it used to be (I believe...) and there is just usually a little hole a la Callie in her pics  :Luv: Denzels stitches were disolvable and we didnt have to take her back unless there were any probs.

Little C&M  :Luv: !!!

Dont let them out until they have been done, kittens can get pregnant at a pretty young age. I got some flat cats to let us open the windows, but they couldnt escape http://www.flat-cats.co.uk/ they arent cheap, but VERY durable, and thick, good quality.

Good luck and keep us posted with their progress and pics!  :Luv:
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 09:22:35 AM »
Try and not stress about the neutering as they will be fine I assure you. :) When we went for our 2nd jab our kittens were already about 4 months and the vet checked Monty and his testicles were full down and he was over 2.5kg so they said fine to neuter from 5 months and Callie was also a good weight so we booked them in together. They were exactly 5 months when they were done. Some vets wait till 6 months but there may be a chance the female will come in to season before 6 months. For this they went in separate carriers so as not to have any problems when they were in the car. Monty was absolutely fine and I doubt he noticed. He had no stitches. I think they just podded his peas and put some tissue glue on!
Callie was a bit more sore with a shaved side and sleepy afterwards and a bit grumpy. She took longer to persuade to eat but did within about 12hrs. They had some loose motions after the anaesthetic.
Callie went in the pen when unsupervised - here is a pic

She was happy to sleep there as she was tired. Monty did his usual chair back snoozing.
Callie had about 4 stitches which were removed after 10 days I think.

They still played happily if gently for a week or so

Within 10 days they were complely healed and back to chilling together :)

Hope that helps but enjoy them as babies without worrying wont you as they don't stay kittens for very long.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 07:46:29 AM »
Hey DV - welcome to Purrs.  How exciting for you, bringing home two new kittens.   :welcome:  Can understand how the excitement is tinged with nervousness.  Good advice from other members already.

Having two will be a lot easier than having one, believe it or not, as they'll be great company for each at times when you're occupied doing other stuff (although I imagine that time will be at a premium - who can resist kittens?  ;D)

When you're transporting them home, make sure whatever you're bringing them home in is secure - can't emphasise that enough for your peace of mind.    Take a big roll of kitchen towel with you in case of mop ups en route.  Puppy pads to line the carrier are a great idea.  If one gets badly soiled, you can take it out and bag it then bin it, but remember if you open the cat carrier, make sure all of the doors and windows are shut first, and to secure the carrier properly again when you're done.

It's good if you can travel with a companion, so if you do have to make any stops, you have one person who can make sure the kittens are secure (kittens can get into tight gaps and spaces in cars - not recommended!) while the other sorts out any cleaning operation necessary. 

As to the ops, I would suggest talking to your vet when you take the babies for their kitten check up.  They'll advise you about the vaccinations, worming, microchipping and neutering.  It's possible to get cats neutered younger than 6 months old, but much depends on their growth rate, weight and activity, so when you're not used to cat ownership, let your vet guide you.   I love vet kitten checks, 'cos it's a great opportunity to get to know your local vet, and let them admire your furbabes and "oooh" and "aaaah" over them.   ;D

If you can stretch to it, insurance is a good idea.  If you're going to insure, then I'd say stick with a proper pet insurer, rather than a generic insurance company offering pet insurance.  Sometimes the latter withdraw pet insurance, and if you've had to make a claim for your pet (God forbid) in the interim, getting cover elsewhere for ongoing treatment will be nigh on impossible (thinking things like diabetes).

Play, play, play - excellent advice.   :wow: It helps you to bond with your cats, they'll love it, it'll wear them out (especially before bedtime) and then hopefully you'll get a relatively uninterrupted night's sleep (although in my book, few thing are more lovely than being woken by a catt because they want your company - then again, I'm a bit of an insomniac, so always view it as company rather than nuisance, although I do have to get up for work each day at 5 a.m., so it's not like I have a chance to catch up on lost sleep!)  :evillaugh:

From the point of view of keeping them safe, you need to think like a very small cat (which is what they are - capacity for mischief is huge).  Keep loo seats down, washing machine doors closed, electric cable tidy and out of harm's way.  Keep any cooker hoods closed, watch out for anything which is wobbley and if climbed may collapse, fall over or otherwise injure small furry bodies, and get used to tying yourself in knots trying not to trip over a small ball of lightning as it streaks between your legs on the stairs.   Stairs - watch out for kittens who like to mountaineer round the banisters.   One of ours once fell through - luckily his fall was broken by a sofa beneath, but alot depends on how your stairs are configured, so think like a cat.  They can get into - and out of - incredibly small spaces.  Bearing in mind the lovely weather we've been having, making sure all doors and windows are firmly shut is a good idea.  Sweltering, but a good idea. Block off access to open chimneys if you have one.

Make sure any child visitors you may have are never left unsupervised with kittens.  It will avoid any accidents or upsets.    If you like candles, keep a very close eye on your cats.   :shify:  I love candles, but have had to keep a very very close eye on the cats. 

Will you be keeping them as house cats or indoor/outdoor?   Indoor is generally safer, especially if you live near a busy main road, but you can think about things like cat-proofing a garden space to make it safe, or ensuring they have access to a shed or cat house, if you aren't going to be home during the day and dont have the ability to put in a cat flap (ie if you're in rented property for example)    Don't leave a window open for them to come and go - a friend of ours who did that got up in the midle of the night to find a burglar had availed himself of the facilities!

Anyway - above all, enjoy Atremis and Appollo (love the names).   Hope you introduce them formally (lots of pics - hint, hint) when you get them home.  Anything you need to know - feel free to ask.  We love cats, we love cat people, and we're always happy to help.   ;D

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 23:30:48 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs and the cat world  ;)

I don't have any experience of kittens but there are plenty of people on here who do, so just keep asking questions and someone will keep you on track.

I do home visits for the RSPCA for people who want to adopt a cat.  One thing I always say to people who are new to cats is - don't get carried away buying lots of expensive toys, beds and scratching posts/trees cos cats are not all the same and some like them and some don't.

Good luck and keep us posted with pics cos we all love pics on here.

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 23:00:25 PM »
Don't worry about it too much. It's amazing how quickly they bounce back after the operation. I worried about my two when they were spayed but my boy cat Xander was almost immediately acting like his old self. Buffy took a few days but was back to normal within a few days. The main problem I found was trying to stop them play fighting and getting too crazy incase they hurt themselves. 

How old are they?

Enjoy your kitties they are the most amazing creatures and will make you laugh everyday.

Offline district venom

• Kitten
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 22:48:38 PM »
thank you for welcoming me sam, and I found the articles very helpful.

soufle, I was wondering if you could tel me your story of how you dealt with the situation when they were spayed and neutered, it has to be the most stressful thing for me...thanks guys

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 20:15:57 PM »
Your kittens look beautiful :) I would travel them together in a solid carrier with a soft blanket inside and cover them up during the journey with a light cloth to keep them calm. Have a towel inside in case they are sick and I wouldn't feed them just before the journey and until they have calmed down when you get them home.
We adopted a brother and sister from the RSPCA and you vet will guide as to the neutering. Ours were both done on the same day but the female does take longer to recover. When we fist got our kittens we put them in a large dog crate / cage at night to keep them safe. Pleanty room for a bed / food/ water and tray and they accepted this as home. Eventually they were let out in to one room then progressed to the whole house. They were neutered by weight at 5 months as the vet would do them when they were 2kg I think it was.
Because they liked the crate we were able to keep Callie in the crate when she was spayed till she was healed up though when we were around they were allowed together.
Play is the key to kittens hearts so have plenty play toys available especially things like the laser red dot and things on sticks to jump at. Have them vet checked and booked in for their jabs pretty soon after you get them home and get them registered.
I'm sure they will bring you lots of joy and look forward to hearing lots about them.

Offline district venom

• Kitten
help needed for my new kittens!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 19:01:01 PM »
basically me and my girlfriend are getting 2 kittens from Oxford and we live in Leicester, which is about an hour and a half drive, so any advice for relieving stress during the journey would be appreciated, another thing we need advice on is the fact that the 2 kittens from the same litter are a black female and a ginger male, and we need advice on what we need to do when they need to be spayed and neutered, we already have names for them Artemis for the girl and Apollo for the boy, but also we need advice on the first few nights and how we can raise 2 very playful cats, also they are primarily mine and I will be covering all costs and so on. any other thing i need to be ready for or need to know, and i would be grateful!
what should I do about the fact that they're different genders, after their surgeries, I understand that spaying is more invasive, so Artemis will need more time to recover than Apollo, is there anything I should do to keep her safe?
also a question about soft sided carriers, cant cats just scratch through and escape, or are they more durable?

thanks!!!

btw the black is a female kitten (Artemis) and the ginger is a male (Apollo)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 19:29:36 PM by district venom, Reason: adding info »

Link to CatChat