Author Topic: Which grain free wet /dry food help pls???  (Read 6288 times)

Offline R and R

• Kitten
Re: Which grain free wet /dry food help pls???
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2014, 17:23:55 PM »
Best ever food you can give though is raw whole prey like day old chicks

I am hoping to introduce some whole prey... planning buying reptile food (frozen mice) one hurdle though... my OH used to have pet gerbils......

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2014, 16:47:53 PM »
James Wellbeloved is currently 25% off on Zooplus for a 10kg bag   http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/dry_cat_food/wellbeloved_catfood/401216
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
Which grain free wet /dry food help pls???
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2014, 00:26:53 AM »
Thrive tins are great . Good moisture fresh meat all the stuff they in in thee incl taurine etc

Best wet food in my opinion

Best ever food you can give though is raw whole prey like day old chicks

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2014, 18:59:41 PM »
One of my Ragdolls Casper all 8kgs of Blue bi boy is a normal ragdoll flopsy topsy on the otherhand Minmin my Choocie seale point is a Madam all 3.5kgs she does loved to be brushed but thats where the ragdoll ends and the blonde of the Clan cats starts!!

James Wellbeloved is grain free both the wet and dry forms and we feed them hyere along with 10 varieties of Royal Canin and various wet foods here with no issues and that includes 4 Bengals who are notorious for dodgy tums
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline R and R

• Kitten
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 16:54:20 PM »
Nature's menu pouches go down well here as does Forthglade, they also come in small ish portions... Applaws pate is good too and it is completed (now) none of thier other wet foods are complete. As for raw you can get supplements which you add to/feed with muscle meat to ensure it is complete ( this is how I feed raw) or you can go for commercial raw then you don't have to handle the meat, the only disadvantage is that this is always ground....

Offline feline Love

• Kitten
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 22:14:45 PM »
Thanks everyone for your time to help me, I really appreciate it :)

I have thought of the Raw meat diet. But I am not confident enough to do so.
Another thing is handling different kind of meat, especially poultry & rabbit  :(

I do give my cats boiled or roast chicken, but they seem to think, it is a treat rather then a meal. No matter how much I give them, they want something else later. One of them, who is a Ragdoll won't eat a lot & will cry for her wet food also.

Liz, you mentioned you have a Ragdoll. Do you find your cat fussy too? My Ragdoll is a right little Madame.
 They are meant to be laid back cats. Not my one, she can be really demanding, if she don't get what she wants. But my Birman cat is very laid back, an angel compared to her lol

I think it will be better to choose 2-3 brands & stick to it. I have 4 cats so I have to work out, what works out best for all.

Has any of you got any cats with IBD?
 And which of these brands helped you best?  This for my eldest cat who has IBD & is 19 years old. She can only eat wet food.

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 18:48:39 PM »
If you do go for Applaws they sell the same food in Sainsburys but it's called encore. The small tins are on offer at the moment and I usually wait till the dry is on offer and stock up as it works out cheaper than applaws on zooplus.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 18:21:51 PM »
An interesting article/post about hairballs here (written by a vet)

http://www.petforums.co.uk/cat-health-and-nutrition/363061-hairballs-they-normal.html?highlight=hairballs

I feed Applaws dry.  There are lots of good dry foods on zooplus but I buy Applaws because it comes in small 400g bags and I feed mainly wet food with just a bit of supplementary dry to keep costs down.  Orijen and Thrive are good dry foods.

As far as wet food goes - there are loads of grain free dry foods on zooplus.  Applaws is a complementary food I think?  I feed it occasionally but Porta 21 and Thrive are both complete and similar.  expensive of course.  there are cheaper grain free dry foods such as bozita tins and animonda carny.  Mosi likes the miamor pastette as he likes a soft pate best.

Also some good foods here

http://www.happykittycompany.co.uk/

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 11:03:28 AM »
As Kay says applaws is expensive so if you are happy to handle chicken it's probably just as good if combined with a dry complete food. Unfortunately mine won't eat chicken :Crazy:

Have you thought about a raw diet lots of people have found it very good for their cats?

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 10:37:35 AM »
I have come to the conclusion that diet has little effect on furballs, but having an empty stomach tends to make the fur irritate, and that causes the vomiting of bile - I did for a while use a timer to deliver a meal around 5am and that worked until Trigger found he could get it open earlier - now I just accept I will have to clear up a bit of liquid vomit several mornings a week - as I have laminate floors it's not a big deal

I feed a variety of wheat-free dry foods from Zooplus - Josera Carisimo is a favourite with all 3 of mine, which is really a renal food with lower phospheros - mine haven't got renal problems but anything which prevents them and they really like is good news

I also feed Trigger, who doesn't seem able to digest any of the supermarket wet foods, Tesco frozen cooked chicken breast pieces - they are quite wet after defrosting, and a £3.50 bag lasts 10 days, so it works out cheaper than stuff like Applaws
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 09:37:46 AM »
James Wellbeloved is a good food and mien are fed it and about 14 varieties of Royal Canin, Purina Proplan and some Hills Natures best, they eat Feliz. Whiskas, Bozita, Cosma and their are lots of varieties over at Zooplus and if you click the link at the bottom of the Purrs page then Purrs gets commission form it towards the Buster Fund to help needy cats

I feed Hyper T, Diabetic, Calichi and my normal ones on normal food as they vote with their paws on certain types of food even my outside Ferals and my newbie turn up boy Cody won't eat anything apart from what the indoor/outdoor kids here eat so a rescue will be getting about 40kgs of biscuits including Taste of the Wild and Happy Cat that the Clan cats have said no not eating that

I have more than the average amount of cats here at the Clan including 2 Ragdolls, 1 NFC, 2 Adult Bengals, 2 9mo Bengal kittens and many more domestics and ferals and of course their Pets my 3 Border Collies Sky, Sunny and Mistral who again only eat RC and Hills
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 22:04:57 PM »
I feed mine applaws dry and wet food. Xander will only eat dry. I'm not happy about this I've tried to get him to eat wet food but he won't. He also used to have porta 21 but as soon as I gave him a choice of applaws or the porta he won't go back to the porta. Buffy has 3 small meals a day usually 1 - 1 1/2 sachets which doesn't seem much but she always eats it all. She also has as much dry food as she wants. They have never had much of a problem with hair balls, I did feed them the malt stuff in a tube for about a year but it didn't seem to do anything and they've now gone off it.

Both of my previous cats used to be sick quite a lot but these two are only sick when they have hairballs. I think this is down to the better quality of food.   

Offline feline Love

• Kitten
Which grain free wet /dry food help pls???
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 18:18:43 PM »
Hi, I do not know much about grain free cat food & would like to know your experiences with it. Some ppl disagree with dry food & some think it is fine.
I have a Birman cat who suffers from fur-balls, he gets 1 -3 per week depending on what he eats.  I noticed he gets them more when he eats dry food. He seems to groom himself a lot. None of my other cats groom that much like he does. I do groom him regulary & even when I do that he has to go over it   :shucks:
I have tried different kinds of Fur-ball dry food & they don't work. I also haven't seen a difference with giving him ointments like- Defurr-Um plus or  Johnsons hairballs remedy.
For the last 5 months now, I started using MC HEALTHY BITES hairballs remedy. They have made a difference, but I think it's time to change his diet.
I know that fur-balls can indicate IBD. I already have a cat who is 19 years old & has IBD . So I have to make changes now.

He normally eats Felix as good as it looks, James Wellbeloved hairball formula. And occasionally has chicken roasted/boiled or tuna in water.
The last 2 days I tried giving him -Animal essentials plant Enzymes probiotic in his food but he puked it out straight away. That was very stressful seeing him react like that.  Tonight I will put a smaller dose & see what happens.
For the last 4-5 days I have been researching on what food to use, but I am just going round in circles :(

My eldest cat who has IBD eats Royal Canin sensitivity/ boiled chicken with Fortiflora probiotic.
 It does help her but she does have days when her stools get worse. The vet stopped her Medrome because she has Metacam every other day for her arthritis. The probiotic has helped her through it.
I am also thinking of changing her food too , because she seems to enjoy the jelly more then anything else. Maybe the Royal Canin Gastrointestinal pouches instead.  Hills Z/D has no jelly , so I really doubt she will eat that.
 What probiotic brand does everyone else use? It seems like the Animal essential probiotic is not as tasteful as the Fortiflora. But I can not afford to give all 4 of my cats that, it is way too expensive.  :Arrrrh:

Here is a few food brands I have looked at. If anyone has any good or bad experiences with any of these products pls share your advice, I would really appreciate the help.

ORIJEN Cat & Kitten
Porta 21 Feline Finest Sensible - Grain Free

Applaws chicken breast & pumpkin -can
Eukanuba intestinal formula- can
Thrive complete chicken & Turkey -can

Thanks

Link to CatChat