Author Topic: The newest (unexpected member) of the family  (Read 6085 times)

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
Re: The newest (unexpected member) of the family
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2014, 15:26:37 PM »
 :evillaugh:

Ah - washing the blankie - I need to do that with the Day Bed, but they get really annoyed when it goes missing.  I've even tried substituting for an identical one, but they always know and avoid it like the plague until the old one is back in place.   :innocent:

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2014, 15:15:14 PM »

Souffle, never realised that was what brought you into the family.   :) :hug:

Indeed it was! Was it really that long ago!
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,35831.msg637805.html#msg637805

Funnily I saw him paddling yesterday. The cats have a woolen blanket on the back of their sofa and it seems Monty loves his blanky very much! I decide to wash it as it was manky and it was off the sofa for a night. When I put it back I've never seen him so happy! He was rolling and treading on it and face rubbing it then he settled down for a good sleep. He never even came up to beg for dinner  :Crazy:
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Frankenstein
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2014, 14:17:50 PM »
Frankie is amazing with her tbh and there has been no change in how he is with me and my bf which is a huge relief.
The only thing he doesn't like is when she goes to play with his ducky teddy. We bought it for him when he was a tiny kitten so he'd have something similar to his size etc to play and cuddle. Clearly that is HIS toy :p

Went for a glass of water in the night and found them curled up asleep together. Frankie never had a proper bed (put him in a box with a baby blanket but he'd rather sleep with his rear end in one of our faces!) so I'm popping out tonight to get them one.

Thought we'd sorted the flea problem but found a couple yesterday evening. The vet gave us some stuff to use on her on Wednesday and the stuff she recommended for the house should come tomorrow. Can't wait to get rid of the little evil things!!!  :shify:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2014, 12:10:58 PM »

If you google cats adult cats suckling owners/siblings etc, it's not as uncommon as we may initially think, and it isn't always a case of being only found amongst cats that are removed from their Mothers too soon.

The first time Ross ever did it, I was rather surprised.  I'd been sitting on one sofa opposite the one he was on.  It was about two or three days after we'd brought him home.  I was giving him slow blink kitty kisses when he fixed on me with a look of intense concentration.  I could virtually see a decision was reached in his eyes, and he clambered over the sofas to get to me, got on to my shoulder and began blissfully shlurping away on my earlobe.   :Luv:

Frankie's being very good with her, isn't he?   :Luv:

Souffle, never realised that was what brought you into the family.   :) :hug:

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2014, 11:47:19 AM »
Suckling was what brought me to Purrs. Our two, RSPCA rescues brother and sister. Monty used to suckle Callie's tummy all the time. She let him! She was constantly soaking wet. He never harmed her or got anything and it all came to a stop when she was spayed at 6 months and him neutered because she was shaved and sore so she wouldn't let him do it! I think it is because she is so young and she will grow out of it a bit as she matures.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2014, 06:49:41 AM »
I've discovered that if she starts doing it obsessively, pulling her gently to my chest with both hands around her helps. She starts purring and puts a paw on my neck before dozing off :)

That's so sweet.   :Luv:

Gill, I didnt know Misa likes to have a little comforter too.   :)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2014, 22:16:18 PM »
Misa came to me age 4 with a terrible background and used to suckle on the sleeve of my dressing gown and he was huge even back then.

He now suckles on the duvet age 11 ish  ;D

maybe a SOFT FLUFFY TOY sorry caps on, would help

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2014, 20:01:52 PM »
I've discovered that if she starts doing it obsessively, pulling her gently to my chest with both hands around her helps. She starts purring and puts a paw on my neck before dozing off :)

Frankie has always done the kneeding thing. In the night he creeps into bed and lies alongside me. I wake up and he asleep but doing it :P Love that boy so much. Beautiful, funny cat.

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2014, 19:36:23 PM »
When Buffy was first away from her Mum she keep trying to grab the buttons on my cardigans. I felt so sorry for her but she was actually lucky to have been with her mum till she was about 14 weeks. They were still trying to get milk from her as well as eating cat food. I'm sure they would have continued for quite awhile longer. I did give her cat milk for a while as I thought that might help. Someone needs to invent a cat dummy.   

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2014, 18:57:31 PM »
Frankies really good with her tbh. When she does it to him he nudges her over and grooms her. Need to get a video of the tail game he plays. When she walks past him he flicks his tail at her so she batters it :D

I don't mind her trying to suckle tbh, it's just a little heart breaking as she looks so urgent and needy.

Today I got to hear her purr for the first time  :Luv2:

My sister fell in love with him. She's your typical moody teen so it was great to see her smile. She sat with his carrier on her knee the whole way home tickling him :) My other sisters (and dog) love him too.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2014, 17:46:02 PM »
Our bridge baby, Ross, used to suckle on my ear.   :shy:  It made him feel safe.  If you can get him to suckle maybe on your knuckle or thumb - it may feel a little strange, but I think as long as it reassures them it's fine.  Moray likes to treadle on my tummy - I wake up in the morning with track marks across my belly, but given that it makes him feel good, I put up with it (nay, I even welcome it  :evillaugh:).

I suspect Frankie will not welcome it, so if you can give her that substitute, it would be very comforting to her.  She may well grow out of it, but even if she doesn't, it's such a special bond that forms between you, that it has to be worth a little discomfort?   :hug: :hug:

What did your sisters think about Mags the Mighty?   ;D

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2014, 12:17:19 PM »
I feel so bad for her. She keeps trying to do it to my other cat who acts very confused and run away.

The woman I got her from said her mum wasn't interested in her so the poor little love is so confused.

Just giving her lots of attention and cuddles. Hope she feels loved soon

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2014, 22:22:15 PM »
a fluffy blanket or a soft toy in her bed might be a good alternative to her real and human mums
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2014, 21:22:52 PM »
Mags went to his new home today. He was fine with the other cats but biffed the dog hehehe

Another question tho, any ideas on what I should do to make Trixie cmfortable? She keeps trying to suckle me and Frankie and gets upset that she cant. Her mum left her for the last two weeks so think she just needs the comfort

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2014, 23:05:51 PM »
good to hear they are pronounced flea free zones!
Aww that pic - she should be pleased she is getting her bottom wiped by big bro!  :sick:  :evillaugh:

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2014, 18:04:20 PM »
Hey, the neighbour is well aware that they need treatment and her house is infested.

I took the little monsters to the vet. Vet was appalled when I showed her pics of when I got them but said I did a brill job cleaning them up as there was no flea dirt on them. Its more likely that the fleas I see have jumped on them. They've both been wormed and checked over and are fine if not a bit small and wormy.

The house has been treated with some stuff from wilkos. I'm pretty obsessed with fleas so have been using that once every couple of weeks just incase (plus it smells good!). Since getting the monsters I've hoovered twice a day and the vet has recommended a spray for the house which I've ordered.

Virtually no bites in the night so am happy.

Taking Mag to my mums house tomorrow, will be sad to see him go but he will love it there. Mum has 2 other cats, a dog (who mothers cats) and my three sisters, two of whom don't know about him so will go mad for him :)

Frankenstein was a little rough with them last night so we made him stay in our room. Today he has played but been much more gentle and even actually loving.  Here he is cleaning Trixie- she wasn't impressed.

'But I dont want to go the vets mummy.'

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2014, 12:56:13 PM »
Oh how awful, maybe the 'new owners' changed their minds when they saw the state of them and the house  :'(

They are super cute tho  :Luv2:

Maybe say to the neighbour that when you took trixie to the vet they found some fleas and suggest she gets mum de flead??? I suspect they must be all over their house tho....

If you havent done so already I would get some spray for your carpets/ soft furnishings where the kittens have been too, you dont want them taking up home in your house. you can apparently wash at 60 degrees or above to get rid of them from any bedding etc.

Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2014, 20:39:58 PM »
Haha  I'm trying that anyway atm, it's so toasty!

You wouldn't happen to know how much an average six week old kitten should weigh would you?

I've weighed them on my kitchen scales and Mags=580 ams and trixie =460grams

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2014, 20:33:47 PM »
Try and keep cool too, we release more histamine when we are hot.  :hug:

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2014, 20:32:13 PM »
Mags purred when he was washed. Must have been such a relief!

Tried antihistamines and feeling much less itchy, thanks for the advice!

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2014, 14:49:06 PM »
Poor you being bitten :( You better get some indorex and give the house a right good spray in case any have jumped off to set up home in the carpets! Also do the other cat / animals in the house and keep up the treatments so that they don't recatch fleas from their other family.
Use anthisan and take double dose of antihistamine - I take both Loratadine and ceterazine if I'm really itchy I'm afraid. Should be OK taken 6hrs apart!
Actually I feel really itchy just looking at those pics so poor kittens having them.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 14:51:49 PM by souffle »

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2014, 14:03:05 PM »

Aw pooh - extra "anti furball" Dreamies may be the order of the day for Frankie.

For you, I reckon a set of those fetching white compression socks like you get when you're on a long haul flight, and a bottle of dettol.   ;)

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2014, 13:55:53 PM »
fighting the urge!

Just glad to see Frankie eating tbh. He' had a bit of a hairball problem so wa off his grub for a bit

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2014, 13:52:56 PM »

Yes - number 1 is:  "dont scratch!"

Number 2 is an anti histamine.

Number 3 is applying tea tree oil or a good cooling antiseptic gel to the bitten areas (failing that, a cold flannel)

[Frankie, am shocked your Mum would make such bold  insinuations, purrsonally.   ;)]

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2014, 13:31:58 PM »
Perks of baby sitting duties seem to be polishing off their food when they arent looking :P

Anyone got any tips on flea bites on humans? I'm covered and itching like crazy

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2014, 13:22:04 PM »

Oh they're gonna be in for such a surprise.   :Luv:

Beautiful babies, whichever way round I look at them.  So pleased you were able to step up and re-home both.  And well done to Frankie for being such a lovely Big Bro, and taking his creche sitting duties so seriously.  Lovely boy!

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2014, 13:18:42 PM »
Yeah thats the wrong way around. Trixie is the tabby.

I can't wait for Saturday now. Mum is picking me and Mags up and taking him to her house. My little sisters don't know about it :D

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2014, 13:15:24 PM »
 :wow: :wow: :wow:   OMG - that sweet little grey tabby belly, and that adorable little ginger tabby face - a combination made in heaven!

[Lol, I'm so confused - so which one's Trix and which one's Mags?  Forgives I - Am a bit care in the community when it gets to this time of day  :shy:)  I thought Trix was the little ginger one, and Mags the Mighty was the little tabby one, but I think that's the wrong way round, yes? ]

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2014, 12:52:44 PM »
No, sorry, I dont think I'm making sense :P

Mag is going to my mum
Trixie is staying with us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8Zuh2YzDuo&feature=youtu.be

The minions have woke up- let chaos commence!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2014, 12:47:21 PM »

Ah - so your Mum is having both of them?   :evillaugh:   My mistake.  But just as lovely.  And you're right - bringing home a new kitten or cat is a very exciting time, and should be one which is enjoyed to the max.

(Aherm.  I confess the last time we did this, there followed a short period of tears and tantrums when it looked like the plan had gone awry, but patience and tactics saved the day - that, and the sweet nature of both the cats involved, who quickly realised there was no reason why they couldn't both share a good thing when they had it, let alone see it for what it was.  That just left the OH to sort out and that was accomplished by the expedient of separate bedrooms  :rofl: :rofl:  Sounds worse than it was - we took it in turns sleeping in the newcomer's designated room so he wasn't lonely just until everything settled down.   ;)

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 12:39:41 PM »
It's not the first lot of kittens so you'd think they'd know how to care for them.

It's horrible as bringing Frankenstein was so amazing and exciting. Just glad they are safe. My mum has two other cats and a dog (who loves kittens) so Mags will be in a loving busy home which will suit him as he's a brave little thing.

Trixie still isn't dry lol she looks like a gremlin

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 12:35:00 PM »

Sassybot, I take my hat off to you.

What a deplorable situation.  As you say, it's more than likely down to ignorance, but even so...... kittens can get sick and die very quickly through flea infestation and I would say - they were definitely "festing" status. 

Thanks goodness they're now assured of a good home - Trixie with your Mum and Mag with you.   I do feel for the poor Mother cat, and hope that maybe you could tactfully suggest a flea treatment for her (although appreciate how very delictaely things like this need to be handled, having once brought home a young kitten infested with ear mites)

Worming the kittens sounds necessary, as does the kitten check up (something I always love anyway, so you can make the Vet tell you appropriately great things about your new arrival such as "beautiful" and "engaging" and other wholesome noises.  (I still do this shamefully with our vet and both of ours are now adults grown - well, 1 year old and one 2 anna bit year old)

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 12:23:58 PM »
They are going in Monday for worming- Trixie has been dragging her bottom so...

I think your right about the daughter. They also have a teen who I believe has toilet trained.

It's more ignorance than malace, not that it an excuse

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 12:19:13 PM »
How are their tummies? They likely need a good worming as they will not have been done. I guess slow and easy with the food as you don't want them getting the runs. The kid will have socialised them as she likely used them as little toys ;)

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 12:15:25 PM »
I really didn't want another cat as me and my partner have got a few holidays over the next year but I couldn't leave her. For the first time Frankenstein didn't curl up with us at bedtime but I guess once he's bored with the kittens he'll come back. He's getting lots of attention too .

Aparently the mum hasn't been interested at all so god knows how they have survived. Even more surprising that they are so happy and playful.

The tube with the fleas is off one kitten!!! Shocking.

Mum's picking the ginger up on Saturday and Trixie is going the vets monday to get checked over. They are both so skinny and cry for more food once it's gone :(

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 12:10:51 PM »
OMG the poor little love  :hug: Your neighbour is a  :censored: and needs reporting to the RSPCA.  The pain that little darling has gone through being bitten like that is awful.

You are a star and so glad you took him. He must feel so clean and fresh  :Luv2: :hug:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline siou2

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Taz, Marvin, Monty, Merlin & DS RIP Tasha & Baldrick
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 12:10:03 PM »
OMG that water is disgusting. 

I am surprised the kittens have survived with that amount of fleas but at least with you they'll be ok.  What about the poor mum?  Poor thing will be pregnant again in no time with an owner like that.  What frightens me is that she has a young daughter, if she's happy for the kittens to be filthy what does she think is acceptable for the child?   :censored:  Anyway sorry rant over, lol

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 12:08:45 PM »
OMG look at the fleas and filth  :sick:
That is shocking but thank heavens you have these babies where they will have a great life. Mum cat must have done a good job though under the circumstances. God help the poor kids if the cats are like that!
They are really gorgeous kittens though and don't look that old do they.

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 11:49:01 AM »
The mum has already been done. Aparently she claimed the kittens had already gone when the vet questioned the mum producing milk.

It's sickening really.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 11:47:11 AM »
might be worth mentioning if they are on benefits they can get a voucher to have the mum cat spayed

Link to CatChat