Author Topic: Suckling behavior  (Read 1392 times)

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy, Polly Lollypop Legs, Harry, Rosie Growler, Teabag, Gracie Dirty Face, Ruby Red Drawers, Picalli Polkadot Pants, Junior Officer Ripley, Kenny Kitten, Millie The Milster
Re: Suckling behavior
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 11:43:12 AM »
Kenny Kitten sucks my clothes,  as soon as I sit down he is there for a 'suck suck',  tried all sorts to get him to stop but he isnt having any of it,  he will suck anyone who will let him,  sucked my neighbours trouser leg the other day  :rofl:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 09:01:40 AM »
one of mine did this as a kitten (she was about 14 weeks when I got her) she did grow out of it

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 20:49:53 PM »
I have a 9 year old male abysinnian who will spend a good 20 mins a night sitting next to me and paddling away on my thigh (he doesn't suckle) but he does dribble!  :-:

So in answer to your question "will he grow out of it" .... probably not!   :rofl:

As Monty is paddling on his sister I would recommend you keep their claws trimmed (just clip the nasty razor sharp points off) this way it won't be uncomfortable for Callie  ;)
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 20:48:40 PM »
Dave is a suckler but it's my clothes that get his attention. If I'm wearing a dressing gown then he kneads and suckles it while I'm wearing it. He's 2.5 years old and it's just a comfort thing he's done since a kitten, purrs away like crazy while he's doing it.

I did try to break the habit when he was a kitten but it never worked so I just leave him to it now, if he's happy I'm happy :shy:

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 20:46:13 PM »
Nothing wrong with it at all, its a comfort thing.

I've had kittens that have suckled off each other ...... and I had one who suckled on his Mum for 4yrs !!!!

They will grow out of it xx

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 20:40:04 PM »
typical male fixation :rofl:

have you got something soft and furry he might transfer his attentions to? a fluffy jumper or scarf, perhaps?

Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
Suckling behavior
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 19:32:46 PM »
I have introduced our two new kittens in another thread and I wonder if anyone can help with this querie.
Monty (male) keeps suckling on his sister Callie. It is mainly when they are lying together and I assume is a comfort thing. They were born and raised in a RSPCA shelter and have never been apart. They are now 14 weeks old. We do distract him when we see him at it but obviously can't do it all the time if we are not there.
Callie doesn't seem to mind and does not show any skin redness or anything but poor wee thing her tummy is always soggy from Monty padding and sucking at her.
Will he grow out of it? I don't want her getting sore from being suckled but they love being together and play and cuddle up all the time.
Monty misses his mama I think!
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

Link to CatChat