Author Topic: Cat food help!  (Read 1726 times)

Offline caz1979

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Purdy and Poppy
Re: Cat food help!
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 11:58:44 AM »
Hey, I took her to the vet and have been given ointment for conjunctivitus and it's starting to work now, with food I am using iams x

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 11:36:07 AM »
Hi. I nearly forgot. Have you tried Royal Canin ecigent 35/30  for fussy cats. My old cat Lulu would only eat this it is very good but it is expensive in the shops (good pet shops) but it is £3 - £5 cheaper for a 2kg bag online.
I hope Purdy is ok.  ;)

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 04:31:18 AM »
My two dont seem to be eating as much but as the vet said yesterday, it is rather warm and like humans they slow down a bit so dont eat as much.
I feed mine on Felix AGAIL Kitten and adult they also have James Wellbeloved kitten (turkey), which they love and they like the adult version as well. They also get Whiskas now and again and Kit E Kat but not that often.
I hope Purdy's problem is just because of the heat or just being fussy like all cats.

PS. I used to have a cat called Purdy too. A long time ago 30 odd years. I have a pic of her as a kitten, Iif I can find a scanner I will copy it and post it.

Found a scanner. Very old photo. Purdy is the kitten,  that's her mum Shelley
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 06:35:52 AM by hollycat »

Offline caz1979

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 00:05:35 AM »
I have tried a lot of brands goumet she loved for ages but is picking at it now, I am going to c if the vet will c her tomorrow, as tonight I've noticed when she's looking up at me one of her eyes keeps squinting and looks a bit wet x

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
Cat food help!
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 23:50:43 PM »
Hi Caroline
Yes ya right an only dry food diet is not good as it does not have enough moisture and one of the cause of kidney disease when older.

Better to go with wet or raw but a mixture of wet and Little of dry is ok as thy will get moisture from the wet/raw.

With both dry and wet there are better brands and not so great brand. with the not so great brands there is so little actual meat and that is meat "derivatives" (crap off factory floor)  and lots of grain so these are not good as a cat natural diet as a carnivorous is meat. They can't digest grain very well.

There are are also things like taurine which a cats body needs as it does not produce it, it is obtained in muscle parts of prey ie the heart. So a cat that doesn't hunt outside and eat prey will end it in their diet. This is one of the resins why cats hunt outside if their home diet does not have taurine in it .

So best if you can to try other wet foods, the good quality complete brands that have actual meat and excellent moisture in ie Thrive complete tins.
Watch out for others that say "complimentary " these are not everything a cat needs and should only be fed as a treat.
Then you can feed a bit of dry best is grain free if she will eat it. Also a good brand like James wellbeloved.
Grain free ones are applaws dry , taste of the wild from zooplus (that's grain free) both complete.
 Applaws wet is only complimentary!

Try her on various and see what she likes :)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 23:43:40 PM »
Diet of dry only isnt prereable but you seem to be past that point.

Have you ruled out any health problems  like teeth cos thats always the starting point.

Next I would buy a pouch of felix in jelly and in gravy , same for whiskers and go through the supermaket own brands before tring other wet.

Get some small bags of various dry food and rotate the lot and wet.

Basically its a test and see and remember the hot weather will not be helping.

Does she free feed, if not I would try that especially with dry.

If she doesnt eat for a few days at all, its vet time, cats have to eat and in this weather drink

Offline caz1979

• Adult Cat
Cat food help!
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 23:11:43 PM »
Hi all
I really am unsure what to do regarding purdys food, she so fussy and I know it's probably my fault in someway, she tends to just stop eating wet cat food and I think to myself she will eat when she gets hungry but she doesn't ,so I thought I'll change to dry food so brought iams and purine one, she's really not impressed! And I've since read a diet of dry isn't good!!!  :Crazy: I don't know what to do.
Caroline x

Link to CatChat