Author Topic: How long does Stronghold take to work?  (Read 14365 times)

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
Re: How long does Stronghold take to work?
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 16:08:54 PM »
Thanks guys.

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2014, 08:30:35 AM »
Yes if the cat has them they are definitely breeding in your house now. You need to treat the carpets and cat beds especially to kill the larvae and then keep the flea treatment up to date till you have broken the cycle and get no more live fleas on the cat. There are some strains of fleas that are resistant to each of the treatments so you may have to try another one on her next time it is due.
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 04:11:41 AM »
Thanks guys, I think I got the Stronghold on, she is long-haired but pretty docile, so it wasn't as if we had to try and get a moving target! She spends most of her time indoors so I don't know where she might be getting them from.

Reminds me of my friend - they now have 3 cats, were 4 until late last year. One of them always seems to have the odd flea, no matter what they do, whilst the others are clear. At least their flea-bag is out a fair amount and they back directly onto healthland, so it is easy to imagine that she is picking them up from a hedgie or something.

A cat doesn't have to go out to get fleas. The little butter can jump on your clothes and then jump off indoors or they can just come in when you open the door. I suggest you spray your carpets as well as once iin the house they will multiply very quickly. One more thing they do bite humans and they seem to prefer female victims.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 14:05:49 PM »
Thanks guys, I think I got the Stronghold on, she is long-haired but pretty docile, so it wasn't as if we had to try and get a moving target! She spends most of her time indoors so I don't know where she might be getting them from.

Reminds me of my friend - they now have 3 cats, were 4 until late last year. One of them always seems to have the odd flea, no matter what they do, whilst the others are clear. At least their flea-bag is out a fair amount and they back directly onto healthland, so it is easy to imagine that she is picking them up from a hedgie or something.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 09:40:02 AM »
we have had fleas for the first time in 10 years!  I think the hot weather is making them much worse than normal

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 04:53:17 AM »
You shouldn't really need to brush her for fleas once the stronghold has taken effect Lyn, I think she's got a fave place which is crawling with the little monsters. If you can track down where she's spending these long hot summer days give it a blast with some Indorex flea killer.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 21:27:58 PM »
It should be working by now, are you sure you got it on  :innocent:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
How long does Stronghold take to work?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 21:25:40 PM »
Much to my dismay, I discovered at the weekend that Cleo is a little flea-bag. I'm afraid I don't treat them routinely and didn't expect it to be Cleo who picked them up as she doesn't go out much. Alfie seems clear. I treated them both on Saturday, Alfs had Advocate and Cleo Stronghold. I am still getting live fleas off Cleo, surely they should have been killed by now?

Cleo is not very tolerant of being brushed, other than around the head and neck, although I am doing my best with her - to the extent that she has started avoiding me!

Link to CatChat