Author Topic: spaying/neutering  (Read 2851 times)

Offline gillian86

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Mully and Lexi
Re: spaying/neutering
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2014, 20:08:08 PM »
My two boys were 5 months when they were neutered.  The vet said that they neuter as soon as they can feel the nuts   :censored:

Yes they seemed fine to do it at 5 months, it went fine and he did much better recovering when we got him home. He wouldn't take food from them at all but ate fine at home.

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2014, 19:54:45 PM »
My two boys were 5 months when they were neutered.  The vet said that they neuter as soon as they can feel the nuts   :censored:

Offline gillian86

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2014, 13:34:35 PM »
Thanks for all the replies  :) we are going to get him at 2.30 they said he came round fine and has been a very good boy. Will treat him to a new toy mouse for being good his favourite kind of toy  :Luv:

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2014, 20:46:13 PM »
It's natural to worry, but am sure he will be fine..he is in good hands!
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2014, 20:41:42 PM »
Awwww, I'm sure he will be fine - you will suffer more than he does!   :hug:

Offline gillian86

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 17:43:33 PM »
Just a quick update,  Mully went for his pre op last Monday and has been scheduled in for tomorrow to have his neutering op.  I'm a little nervous but the vets are great and will be going with my partner for the drop off and collect.

Offline SamMewl

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
    • Yorkshire Cat Rescue
  • Slave to: gizmo, gingurr, nemo, mittens and brujo. always with me, leroy w murgatroyd
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 16:20:39 PM »
6 months used to be the norm and so vets were trained that way. Now 4 months is becoming standard with pre -pubescent neuter now becoming common in shelter environments. we neuter at 3 months (i kilo) if healthy at Yorkshire Cat rescue but that's partly so we can be assured kittens are done. They recover easily at this age and our vets are very used to it (we send a lot there way!!)

don't worry to much about unwanted behaviours though as boy cats mature a little later than girls and so he shouldn't be testosteroning until after 6 months. if we have boy cats with un-descended testicles we wait until 6 months  :)
good luck with the chop Mully!
:) Please text CATS22 £5 to 70070 to feed a cat for a week :)

Offline gillian86

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2014, 20:00:10 PM »
When Jaffa and Magpie were kittens the vet said to bring them in for a pre-op check to make sure they were developed enough  ;) and they were "approved" for neutering at about 5 months.  With Mosi I just rang up and said I wanted to book him in for a neuter when he was about 5 m months.  The vet did ask whether I didn't want to wait a few months and I said no I wanted it done now before testosterone entered into the dynamic between him and Jaffa.  He had a quick pre-op check on the day and they were happy to go ahead.  If they got peas to pod it's time!  I would always aim for some time between 4-6 months but would be happy having it done sooner if my vet was happy with that.

Thankyou for your response we're deffinitly in the frame of mind that we want it done sooner rather than later so hopefully when he reaches 5 months in September they will go ahead. He's getting bigger all the time now so I can't see his size or weight are going to be a problem, he's got a check next month for weighing so they will most likely say then if he's on track for it.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 18:51:52 PM »
When Jaffa and Magpie were kittens the vet said to bring them in for a pre-op check to make sure they were developed enough  ;) and they were "approved" for neutering at about 5 months.  With Mosi I just rang up and said I wanted to book him in for a neuter when he was about 5 m months.  The vet did ask whether I didn't want to wait a few months and I said no I wanted it done now before testosterone entered into the dynamic between him and Jaffa.  He had a quick pre-op check on the day and they were happy to go ahead.  If they got peas to pod it's time!  I would always aim for some time between 4-6 months but would be happy having it done sooner if my vet was happy with that.

Offline gillian86

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 16:30:25 PM »
They dont like walking on gravel usually.

I prefer neutering at 4 months but when I got Lupin he was 10 months and never been near a vet!

First stop was the vet  :innocent:

He has an appointment to be checked/weighed in August by the nurse so will find out then if he's going to be on track to be netured in September I hope.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 16:26:24 PM »
They dont like walking on gravel usually.

I prefer neutering at 4 months but when I got Lupin he was 10 months and never been near a vet!

First stop was the vet  :innocent:

Offline gillian86

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 14:40:06 PM »
Mmmm.... I didn't worm mine every month for the 1st 6 months - maybe it depends on which medication is used?

For neutering vets opinions differ. Mine do it by age - 6 months. A lot do it earlier tho, and some go by weight. But I am of the opinion the earlier the better!

Yes that's what we felt to, my partner is really concerned he may start the spraying cos we have so many cats where we live and they had a tendency to do their business in the small garden area to the front of the house. We spent all day yesterday cleaning that up though and have replaced what was there with gravel so they hopefully wont like that and will find it unpleasant to dig in.

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 14:32:38 PM »
Mmmm.... I didn't worm mine every month for the 1st 6 months - maybe it depends on which medication is used?

For neutering vets opinions differ. Mine do it by age - 6 months. A lot do it earlier tho, and some go by weight. But I am of the opinion the earlier the better!
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline gillian86

• Adult Cat
spaying/neutering
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 13:31:47 PM »
What age did you all get your cats spayed/neutered? When we took Mully for his second injection the vet said to do it around 6 months before which he would need a pre-op check. He is 4 months in august and from what I have read they should really be done at 5 months as by 6 unwanted behaviours such as spraying will of already begun. So we went to the vet and he has his pre-op for  September when he's 5 months and they did say they would do it then if he was big enough and healthy. Its so confusing as the first vet we saw never even mentioned he needs worming every month till he's 6 months old we had to find this out so glad we got a second opinion.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 13:33:46 PM by gillian86 »

Link to CatChat