Author Topic: plants poionous to cats  (Read 2592 times)

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
Re: plants poionous to cats
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 16:08:14 PM »
I didn't realise it was only the pollen of lilies that is poisonous to cats. I am quite happy to remove the stamens and dispose of them before I take them into the house.

The whole plant is poisonous. Removing the stamen just means if they brush against it theyy won't get covered in pollen  so won't ingest it when they wash. They are less likely to chew on the rest of the plant but they still could. Sorry for any missunderstanding.

Thanks for clarifying that. My 2 have never shown any inclination to chew plants (not that I have many) but I won't take the chance.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 21:11:30 PM »
This is a very concise list ... it seems that practically EVERY plant is harmful  :shify:

http://www.cats.org.uk/bedford/feature-pages/plants-poisonous-to-cats/
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 17:01:42 PM »
I didn't realise it was only the pollen of lilies that is poisonous to cats. I am quite happy to remove the stamens and dispose of them before I take them into the house.

The whole plant is poisonous. Removing the stamen just means if they brush against it theyy won't get covered in pollen  so won't ingest it when they wash. They are less likely to chew on the rest of the plant but they still could. Sorry for any missunderstanding.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 15:31:12 PM »

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 22:54:50 PM »
in 30 years of owning cats and plants, I find the only ones they ever chew on are those with grass like leaves - my irises, for example, get chewed and vomited up again, but they've never touched any of the 10 clematis growing in the enclosed patio area

lilies are different because it is the pollen which is so dangerous, and that can get on a cat without any attempt to eat the plant

I know. It's just that I wad rather surprised at some of the plants on the list, I mean Buttercups and Dafs, potato shoots. I also think that cats knoe what's good or bad for them by the smell. I have lillies in my garden and I remove the stamen holding the polen every year so that it doesn't get on any cats. I love my two little horrors and all cats and I wouldn't want any harm to come to any of them but there are risks out there for them and if a cat shows signs of poisoning it could be any of these plants.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 22:37:28 PM »
in 30 years of owning cats and plants, I find the only ones they ever chew on are those with grass like leaves - my irises, for example, get chewed and vomited up again, but they've never touched any of the 10 clematis growing in the enclosed patio area

lilies are different because it is the pollen which is so dangerous, and that can get on a cat without any attempt to eat the plant
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 19:34:24 PM »
More

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
plants poionous to cats
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 19:28:48 PM »
It's not just Lilly's that are poisonous to cats