Author Topic: Bath Time  (Read 6271 times)

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
Re: Bath Time
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2007, 17:08:27 PM »
Sorry if the video link offended you Gillian, but I don't take that version at all seriously, though I can see how some peeps might consider it a real example of how to wash a cat.

Personally, I never wash my cats - they do a good job themselves. I brush them occasionally, especially Polly, who has fluffy fur. She's okay as long as I tickle her at the same time.

I don't believe that cats really need washing, unless they get gunk on themselves, or nasty stuff round their bums. (Max, a long-haired moggie maine coone type frequently got his trousers mucky. I would dip him in about 2 inches of water in the bath, and gently massage his bottom - he wasn't keen, but tolerated it.)

I think the original video was put on Youtube to stir up reaction. From the maker's comments, I imagine her sitting back laughing at the uproar!  :mad2:

I like the video j20 suggests. The cat seems to enjoy it because the washer is scrubbing in a way which the cat finds more of a pleasure than a pain. Notice the upturned tail when she scrubs at its base. Cats love having that area tickled. The cat is free to run away, but chooses to stay and be fussed.  :Luv:

If a cat is regularly given flea treatment, taken to the vet for skin problems, and regularly brushed if long haired, no need to wash imo.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

j20

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2007, 12:37:32 PM »
well mabey this is better it dosent seem to mind at all  :shy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3p6kAQYIBM&mode=related&search=

does seem to be big american thing is it just me but all the japnese owned cats seem always very carm to warter
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 12:40:12 PM by j20 »

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2007, 11:49:27 AM »
Try this tongue in cheek method instead  :rofl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9QwK5EHSmg&NR=1

I'm just as disgusted with that one  >:( It may be supposed to be funny, but its sending out all the wrong signals just as the original video was.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2007, 22:13:07 PM »
Try this tongue in cheek method instead  :rofl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9QwK5EHSmg&NR=1
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2007, 16:40:45 PM »
J2o the rescue you adopt from will be more than happy to run through any queries you have.
This link explains worming very well http://www.fabcats.org/worming.html
and one for fleas: http://www.fabcats.org/fleacontrol.html

Have you been on the other boards on the forum? Theres always plenty of hints and tips to read.  ;D

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2007, 09:36:12 AM »
that was disgracefull

i bath mango as she is a persian , once a month , it is never like that she is quite relaxed and i dont panic her , you must never put water over a cats ears and face like that
maybe cause iv done mango from been a kitten shes ok and she lets me comb and blow dry her then talc her

i would never dar to bath moomin my d/s but then theres no need to she has a brush , thats it

poor cat

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2007, 07:21:57 AM »
No had no intention of doing anything like that just useing shower lightly but from whats been said great no need to though would like to know how to do things like applying front line and what needs to be done for  worming or would any cats protection rspca be able to show me these things before taking the cat home ?

Frontline is a tiny tube of liquid, you have to part the hair at the base of the cats neck and squeeze the tube onto the skin that's exposed rather than on the fur.  It's easy as long as the cat stays still  :evillaugh:  I find that I can't squeeze all the tube onto one spot so I sometimes have to put it on 2 or 3 spots.  My kittens have been given Sronghold by the vets which is similar to frontline and I just got the vet to do it while we were there, save the hassle for me! 

Worming is a normally in tablet form, different vets have differerent opinions on how often cats need worming.  I asked my vet last week and he said  every 3 months if the cat is hunting (which mine don't/won't be) but I will still do them every 3 months.  One of the most popular tablets is Drontal, it kills both types of worm, you don't have to get it from your vet you can buy it online for less than £2 a tablet, as you can with frontline, from places like vetuk.  I always hide my tablets in something, I don't think Drontal tastes too great anyway but there is a knack to giving tablets which I'm sure the rescue can show you  ;D
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 07:48:58 AM by Tiggy's Mum - Helen »

j20

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2007, 01:33:41 AM »
I am just completey incensed by that video  >:(  - I would never in a million years bath a cat that way, its downright cruel the way it was treated! I can't tell you what I want to do to that person  >:( - and this is from someone who does bath her cats, but never like that!

I bath my own persians because its the best way to keep the coat free of knots, but for a start I always stand mine on a crate in the bath (never the sink), I never immerse them completely in water (they never have their feet standing in water as the water runs away through the holes in the crate) They just stand on the crate, I shower them gently (holding the shower head really close to the body, so as not to alarm them with the spray), shampoo then rinse - all done very quickly, but calmly - no struggling like that poor cat, they are never pinned down like that. I never, ever put shampoo around their faces like that stupid  :censored: person was doing, and never, ever spray water anywhere near their eyes , ears or mouth.

If you are going to adopt a long hair cat such as a Persian, please, please don't think that video is the right way to bath a cat - it most certainly isnt! If you ever need any tips about bathing a cat just pm me.

But, as others have said, most cats will never need bathing (I don't bath any of my shorthaired mogs), unless they have noxious substance on their coats and it becomes an emergency.

No had no intention of doing anything like that just useing shower lightly but from whats been said great no need to though would like to know how to do things like applying front line and what needs to be done for  worming or would any cats protection rspca be able to show me these things before taking the cat home ?

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2007, 23:42:56 PM »
I have never bathed a cat and dont intend to start now!

Nor me - a damp flannel to get unknown gunk off at times but that's it - and I have had cats since I was 4 years old (forty years  :Crazy: )
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
  • Slave to: Bramble and Lily
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2007, 22:28:16 PM »
At the beginning there seems to be claws catching the woman's clothing, but it's surprising not to see blood later.  :Dont know:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2007, 22:11:41 PM »
i did not like that video, that poor cat was very upset.  Fraser doesnt like getting the back half of his body bathed but doesnt get that upset.  I am sure that cat had been de clawed aswell as all the scratching there was no blood plus i was really looking at its paws and thought the toes looked rather blunt ended and couldnt see claws..correct me if im wrong.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2007, 20:47:19 PM »
I am just completey incensed by that video  >:(  - I would never in a million years bath a cat that way, its downright cruel the way it was treated! I can't tell you what I want to do to that person  >:( - and this is from someone who does bath her cats, but never like that!

I bath my own persians because its the best way to keep the coat free of knots, but for a start I always stand mine on a crate in the bath (never the sink), I never immerse them completely in water (they never have their feet standing in water as the water runs away through the holes in the crate) They just stand on the crate, I shower them gently (holding the shower head really close to the body, so as not to alarm them with the spray), shampoo then rinse - all done very quickly, but calmly - no struggling like that poor cat, they are never pinned down like that. I never, ever put shampoo around their faces like that stupid  :censored: person was doing, and never, ever spray water anywhere near their eyes , ears or mouth.

If you are going to adopt a long hair cat such as a Persian, please, please don't think that video is the right way to bath a cat - it most certainly isnt! If you ever need any tips about bathing a cat just pm me.

But, as others have said, most cats will never need bathing (I don't bath any of my shorthaired mogs), unless they have noxious substance on their coats and it becomes an emergency.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2007, 14:21:07 PM »
If you click your county on the map it may bring up some rescues you havent found out about yet
http://www.catchat.org/adoption/index.html
Good luck finding a furbabe  ;D

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2007, 11:29:59 AM »
Thats good, are you going to foster or adopt?
You sound like you'll make a good slave if your buying before the king/queen has moved in!  ;D

j20

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2007, 19:25:03 PM »
Hi j2o, have you decided to home a cat? Unless its something like a persian or has ringworm bathing is an unneccesary chore.

Iv bathed worse than that cat, shes a bossy, short tempered madam who came back with some type of oil on her that wouldnt wipe off. So on went the elizabethan collar because of munching jaws, it was the scariest thing iv ever done at work!  :scared: :scared:

Yes i have decided waiting to hear about a few things that may require me going away for week or so  so once thats out the way can start looking for one to take me on   :)   Was looking on the net for bits and things earlier i predict one spoilt kitty  :evillaugh:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2007, 16:23:50 PM »
Hi j2o, have you decided to home a cat? Unless its something like a persian or has ringworm bathing is an unneccesary chore.

Iv bathed worse than that cat, shes a bossy, short tempered madam who came back with some type of oil on her that wouldnt wipe off. So on went the elizabethan collar because of munching jaws, it was the scariest thing iv ever done at work!  :scared: :scared:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2007, 14:26:35 PM »
The cat was obviously upset so there was no need for all that. If it had poo or oil all over it, fair enough - even then there are surely better ways to do it but that is plain sadism. Cats are not dogs! - probably some silly american thing. I bet the cat is declawed too  >:(. I would like to see that woman's head held under water  >:(
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Felix (Caroline)

• Hero Cat
  • Simba
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2007, 13:59:50 PM »
We don't bath our cats either,They just don't need to be bathed unless there was something you had to remove in a emergency :(
Caroline xx

j20

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2007, 12:50:37 PM »
no freaking way!!!! that freaked me out! that poor kitty......are you for real wanting to bath your cat????

Well one can only go by what one reads and  thiers an awfull lot on the subject for something thats not needed ? ! But  good one less problem and yes last time i cheked quite real thanks ! ;)

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2007, 00:25:02 AM »
http://www.petplanet.co.uk/petplanet/health/groomingcats.htm

Bathing can be quite traumatic for all concerned and may need more than one pair of hands and a lot of patience. If you groom your cat regularly, and it has a healthy balanced diet, there should be no need for bathing as the coat will be glossy and healthy.

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2007, 00:17:59 AM »
For the most part it's unnecessary, so putting both you and your cat through this ordeal is a bad idea. If a bath is necessary for some reason, I would suggest using as little water at a time as possible.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2007, 00:17:05 AM »
A guide as to whether or not a cat would need a bath is to ask yourself, would they have a bath in the wild?  The answer is no, so why would it be necessary in captivity unless of course they got covered in something they shouldn't.

j20

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2007, 00:12:26 AM »
That poor cat  :'(  They certainly made a meal out of bathing him, or was that for the camera's benefit  :censored:  I would never bath any of mine unless I had to, apart from most cats hating water, it strips their natural oils from their fur, there really is no necessity to give your cats a bath......I would only do them when needed.

Well when needed would be the thing and almost all the web bits i have read on care for your cat give instructions of sorts on it so confused on views that this is a bad idea

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2007, 00:07:52 AM »
I have never bathed a cat and dont intend to start now!

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2007, 00:02:31 AM »
I would have thought cats only need bathing regularly for cat shows (although I don't know if water is necessary, I've been told there are dry bath products available), and would be used to it from an early age. If a cat needs a bath after picking up, for example, oil on its fur, or needs a medicated shampoo, as Pimpernel did when he got feline acne, this can normally been done in a localised way, just making a small area wet. Where the person in the clip really went wrong, in my opinion, was with the running tap. That was almost guaranteed to alarm the cat.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2007, 23:45:11 PM »
That poor cat  :'(  They certainly made a meal out of bathing him, or was that for the camera's benefit  :censored:  I would never bath any of mine unless I had to, apart from most cats hating water, it strips their natural oils from their fur, there really is no necessity to give your cats a bath......I would only do them when needed.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007, 22:34:25 PM »
no freaking way!!!! that freaked me out! that poor kitty......are you for real wanting to bath your cat????

My lot get a bath quite often .... usually when they are moulting (yes I do brush them every day but sometimes they just need a bath as well) and Zephyr my little boy sometimes comes home stinking of "tom cat" I think he goes through the bushes after the neighbourhood Tom has sprayed so he gets a bath if he is stinky.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

j20

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 22:25:27 PM »

Erm.. why you dont think its a good idea?   :-:

Offline 4BOBBY

• Adult Cat
  • Bobby
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 21:14:28 PM »

j20

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 12:51:28 PM »
I thought that was pretty tame, I was expecting to see blood  :evillaugh:  I turned the volume off as I thought the cat might be making lots of noise and didn't want to scare the boys, they got scared when monkey world was on the other day! I bet it was making lots of noise though, it didn't look happy!

Your makeing me nervous now  :evillaugh:

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 10:04:18 AM »
poor little thing, she wasnt the most gentle of meowmy''s

xx

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 07:35:32 AM »
I thought that was pretty tame, I was expecting to see blood  :evillaugh:  I turned the volume off as I thought the cat might be making lots of noise and didn't want to scare the boys, they got scared when monkey world was on the other day! I bet it was making lots of noise though, it didn't look happy!

j20

Bath Time
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 23:55:24 PM »
Been looking on the web for videos on how to do things like bathing your cat etc  is this video worst case cenario or the norm  :evillaugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Zxi1uvGW7U&mode=related&search=
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 23:57:28 PM by j20 »

Link to CatChat