Author Topic: Advantage flea treament  (Read 5754 times)

Offline Tigerlily (Allison)

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Toby
Re: Advantage flea treament
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2014, 20:20:07 PM »
I tried looking for it on other sites but all of them were way more expensive than Animed direct  :(
http://www.cat-rescue1.co.uk/

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16
Always in my thoughts, forever in my heart

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2014, 18:01:31 PM »
Glad I got some when I did!

I wonder if they only got a small amount in and all those who hadn't been able to get hold of it pounced meaning they sold out so quickly - petmeds seem to have it in stock but you need to spend £19.90 for free delivery otherwise it's £4 for p&p.

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2014, 20:33:49 PM »
I tried to order Advantage 80 tonight and it's still not showing on the Animed direct website  :-:

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2014, 22:20:08 PM »
I know I'm a bit late replying but you can get advantage on Amazon with free delivery in 3 - 5 days    ;D

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2014, 20:13:34 PM »
Thank goodness Animed have got it back in stock. I will be buying it next time round. I used the Effipro a couple of weeks ago and I've noticed my two have started scratching already  >:(

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2014, 15:38:40 PM »
Looks like supplies are filtering back through, VetUK and Medic Animal both have it on their sites and not showing out of stock - I'm waiting for Animeddirect to get it back in stock though as I don't need anything else and resent paying p&p!

Edit: I emailed animed direct a few mins before posting this and they replied within an hour saying they'd had a delivery today and it was now back on the website  ;D

I hope nobody buys this one!!  £150 p&p
 :Crazy:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Advantage-Once-A-Month-Topical-Treatment-Applications/dp/B00006H36X/ref=pd_sim_sbs_petsupplies_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1QJ9J0JW4YE0DP7RRMX5

A bargain  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 17:20:30 PM by Tiggy's Mum »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 09:27:18 AM by Dawn F »

Offline Elle CatRescueUK

• Adult Cat
  • Cat Rescue UK
    • Cat Rescue UK
  • Slave to: Phoebe, Boomer, Dillon, Aiden & Billy!
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2014, 19:04:32 PM »
hoping I can get hold of Advantage soon....!!
www.catrescue.uk
Rescue & Rehoming Stray and Unwanted Cats in Nottinghamshire. I am an independant rescue.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2014, 14:52:55 PM »
Somebody has posted this on the MSE forum, it seems this has the same active ingredient as Advantage 80. Hopefully the 14th July thing from the manufacturers is still accurate so stock should start to filter through fairly soon, if not I'm going to try the ClearSpot as I'd prefer to stick with Advantage (or a clone) as I know it works and doesn't have any negative side effects on my two.

I contacted the manufacturer last month & they said it would be available again after 14th July but still no sign of it anywhere

Someone on our other forum suggested this http://www.vetuk.co.uk/clearspot-fle...-c-3_2032_2037 - which has the same active ingredient as Advantage

Box boxes work out really good value!

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2014, 19:52:52 PM »
Vetuk now have the advantage 40 in stock.
I don't think the Advantage 40 went out of stock I think it was the 80  :-:

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16

Offline Big Cat Lover

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Lucky (also Tiger and Gypsy RIP)
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2014, 10:04:45 AM »
I actually use Stronghold, which I get from my vets.  As Lucky is an indoor only cat, I usually do her about every 6 - 8 weeks or if I see her start twitching.  Unfortunately, she hates having it applied to her and I seem to get most of it on her fur!  ;D  Hopefully enough of it seeps through to her skin to stop her getting fleas though!
Do not walk in front of me, I will not follow
Do not walk behind me, I will not lead
Just walk beside me and be my friend

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2014, 22:49:15 PM »
Vetuk now have the advantage 40 in stock.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2014, 19:53:46 PM »
The bees are at risk because this is the pesticide that goues on our human food crops  :scared: so I doubt Mosi is at all responsible for the decline of the Bee colonies in Manchester, Susannne. Even with his prowess for nortiness  :rofl:

No my concern is that the after effect of the widespread use of this toxin is only now being realised, the after effects on the bee population were not in the Big Plan and now the food growers main pollinators are being wiped out. I'm afraid our pussies don't even make it into the top 100 when it comes to considering side effects so that's why I'm now nervous as to what may be around the corner.  :shify:

There's precious little information I can find on the internet about the affects this neurotoxin has on humans either  :scared: and what tests, and the results of any tests, concluded.

I am confused.not hard but thought the eppi whats it was exactly thed same as frontline??

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2014, 11:57:43 AM »
Susanne are you sure Mosi is scratching cos he has fleas?  He might just have an itch  :evillaugh:

My vet told me that Bonnie should have flea treatment even though she's indoor cos humans can bring them in the house on their bodies from other animals they've been in contact with.  Might be a chance of that too as I stroke every animal I see  ;)

I only give her a go every 3 months and she's fine.  Saw a RSPCA programme a long while ago and it showed a cat that had been bitten by fleas and it's body was awful and I said then I would ever let my cats get fleas and would prevent rather than cure. Most of us know what mosquito bites are like and I imagine fleas will be like that on a cat - poor babies.

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2014, 09:53:41 AM »
thats the trouble, its only been a couple of weeks and mine are still scratching, can't find anything combing them and we have treated the house, but we have a fairly regular cat proof defying visitor who might be harbouring something

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2014, 09:37:10 AM »
As Mosi is indoor only I aim to do him early spring then again about 6 weeks later then about 3 months after that then only once (if that) during the winter.  I am very lazy about it though and do have a habit of waiting until he's scratching which, of course, just makes it all harder as have to try to spray the flat too.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2014, 09:29:54 AM »
Dawn it's supposed to be four weeks between doses, but I confess I never stick to that, my lot get six - eight week doses depending on who starts scratching first  ;D

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2014, 09:26:40 AM »
I am aware of the ban and controversey surrounding neonicotinoids but I did not know that the active ingredient in Advantage was one.  Never really given it much thought.  No, I doubt Mosi could wipe out the entire bee population, but you know - I need bees for my veggies!  ;D  I think I will stick with Advantage in the short term but once we're free of the blighters think of trying Effipro.  I think Mosi has a slight flea allergy as he scratches a lot and washes his fur so thoroughly that it's clearly a result of some irritation rather than just grooming.   Jaffa never bothered at all with fleas.  If he had any you'd only know by seeing them on him - they didnt seem to make him scratch.   

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2014, 09:25:31 AM »
how often do you advantage user apply it?  I found the instructions a bit vague

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2014, 09:16:20 AM »
The bees are at risk because this is the pesticide that goues on our human food crops  :scared: so I doubt Mosi is at all responsible for the decline of the Bee colonies in Manchester, Susannne. Even with his prowess for nortiness  :rofl:

No my concern is that the after effect of the widespread use of this toxin is only now being realised, the after effects on the bee population were not in the Big Plan and now the food growers main pollinators are being wiped out. I'm afraid our pussies don't even make it into the top 100 when it comes to considering side effects so that's why I'm now nervous as to what may be around the corner.  :shify:

There's precious little information I can find on the internet about the affects this neurotoxin has on humans either  :scared: and what tests, and the results of any tests, concluded.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2014, 08:15:31 AM »
Mosi has started scratching..... :( 

That's a bit worrying, Sheila.  I do like Advantage because it works but may have to rethink that as I don't want to be wiping out bees  :(

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2014, 20:30:36 PM »
Sheila, I received my delivery of Effipro yesterday and did my two. I'm hoping that it will work OK. I don't want Molly to get her allergy back again  :(

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2014, 15:48:02 PM »
Scratch that, they're out of stock now even though the front page says in stock.

Have been reading up on the active ingredient in Advantage. Turns out it's the same pesticide that may be responsible for wiping out our bees  :scared: Neonicotinoids are under fierce debate as they are neurotoxins. I think I may rethink using Advantage in light of this, and go back to Effipro.  :shify:

It's cheaper anyway, and works better than Frontline has done in recent years.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2014, 15:39:08 PM »
http://www.petmeds.co.uk/search?text=Advantage

Looks like they have some left. Funny that everywhere else is showing out of stock though.

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2014, 15:27:42 PM »
Medicine for pets have now run out. Anyone know anywhere else as my two have started scratching?

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2014, 21:41:54 PM »
When I first got Bonnie from RSPCA nearly 6 years ago she was still being treated for the sores on her back after them removing her tail.  The injections etc worked and I was told to use Frontline even though she was indoor cos of her allergy.  The sore appeared about a year ago and when I took  her to the vet and she had injections and she gave her a little red jacket to cover it up so she wouldn't lick it and it didn't work.  She said Frontline wasn't good enough and told me to use Advocate, about a week later her back cleared up and nothing since then.

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2014, 20:45:26 PM »
Thanks for all the replies  :)

And thank you Helen for getting the info straight from the company. I'll obviously use the Effipro when it arrives as my two are due to be done, but I'll order the Advantage next time round.

So relieved it's not being discontinued.  ;D

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2014, 19:32:50 PM »
 :thanks: birmanlady

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2014, 12:54:59 PM »
Hello

Advantage 40 and 80 are available at www.medicines4pets.co.uk at the moment. :)

:welcome: to Purrs and  :thanks:

Offline birmanlady

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Crystal/Sapphire/Molly
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2014, 12:18:34 PM »
Edited ...........  I'm afraid we don't allow free advertising on this site unless prior approval is sought from admin.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 08:30:00 AM by Rosella moggy »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2014, 11:33:13 AM »
typical I've just started using it because frontline isn't working for my lot anymore!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 11:30:56 AM »
Got a reply...

Many thanks for your email.

Advantage 80 is out of stock due to an unexpected demand back at the start of the year. There will be more stock back in wholesalers on the 14th of July.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2014, 06:53:07 AM »
I hope it's not been discontinued as I use Advantage and have found it works and causes no adverse effects so want to stick with it.

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 06:46:54 AM »
It's not been discontinued, the manufacturers are changing the packaging and it seems to have caused a shortage as they have not released the treatment in the new packaging yet  :Crazy: 

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 01:16:54 AM »
That's bad news.  I use Advantage on my two after reports that Frontline may not be effective.

Allison if Frontline wasn't working for you then you may have the same problem with Effipro because they both have fipronil as the active ingredient.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 22:25:23 PM »
I've road tested Effipro vs Advantage for a year or so now, Allison, there's no discernible difference, all my cats are still flea free, and have been all year despite me not starting dosage until April.  ;D

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 22:12:57 PM »
Thanks for the heads up Allison, I used my last two yesterday and was going to order another box but forgot. Just had a look and it's defo out of stock everywhere and isn't mentioned on the manufacturers website. I've emailed them to ask if it's discontinued, hope not bit it's not looking good!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 21:27:51 PM »
Thats crazy I dont use it but its what the vets have been pluggin for last 2/3 years.

Why does everything keep changin

• Honorary Cat
Advantage flea treament
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 20:53:16 PM »
I always used to use Frontline but after one of my cats developing a flea allergy and realising the Frontline just wasn't working properly anymore I switched to Advantage which has worked really well.

Earlier this week I ordered some Advantage from Animed direct but today I got an email saying it was out of stock. I've done a search online and it appears that Advantage is out of stock everywhere. I'm guessing it's been discontinued.

I've now bought some Effipro and I'm just hoping that it will work as well as Advantage.

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16

Link to CatChat