Author Topic: Is it a lily?  (Read 2614 times)

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
Re: Is it a lily?
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2014, 18:25:31 PM »
Can't you give it away on freegle? Shame to kill something living if it can be re homed.  :)

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2014, 19:09:06 PM »
I was offered 3 bunches of alstromeria for £1 today. I think they are really pretty but I am never sure if they are part of the lily family as the flowers look similar. I looked them up when I got home and yes, they are poisonous to cats  :( so I'm glad I didn't have them.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2014, 18:23:43 PM »
Despite the bleach, it's thriving!  :shocked:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 21:05:07 PM »
I've poured loads of bleach over it. This is what my mother used to do to weeds. I'll expect it to die now and no longer be a danger.

I told it I was sorry for having to do this. I think it understood.  :um:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 18:56:48 PM »
But would then still be a danger to cats

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 07:56:48 AM »
If the plant is already in a pot, just put it out your front garden with 'free to whoever wants it' label and it will disappear pretty quickly. 

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 01:54:48 AM »
Officially the bin men don't take garden waste anymore, but I might be able to slip it into the bottom of a black bag then put household waste on top!

My mother used to kill things by either putting salt on them or bleach. As it's in a pot, this could be one way to go.

I don't like intentionally killing plants either, but I'll kill anything which I feel threatened by. Lilies make me feel threatened.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 01:18:44 AM »
Weed killer wont kill it as its not a weed!

cant you burn it or put in dustbin waste?

have to say I dont like intentionally killing plants although I do for get to water!

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 23:46:57 PM »
From the linked images, I can tell that the flower is definitely that of a lily and that the leaves are found on lilies too. It looks a lot like this one:

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.torange.us%2Fphoto%2F20%2F13%2FBeautiful-Lily-1363952543_47.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.torange.us%2FPlants%2FFlowers%2FBeautiful-Lily-20631.html&h=1800&w=1200&tbnid=uFVDIRKtB6_vdM%3A&zoom=1&docid=urEKhq9BCxAVZM&ei=30OvU-f0OYu7Pf-EgKgO&tbm=isch&ved=0CC8QMygLMAs&iact=rc&uact=3&dur=1583&page=2&start=10&ndsp=16&biw=1093&bih=521

Sorry for the long link.
As it is in a pot (it was left by the previous owner) it will be easy to get rid of. I'll just put some weedkiller on it and leave it in the garage which the cats don't have access to. I'll also starve it of water and light. (Maybe put a black bin liner over it.)

Thanks for the help. Sorry I wasn't more precise, just assumed that lily-type flower was descriptive enough. A lily is a lily as far as I'm concerned, and has no place in my garden.

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 06:43:52 AM »
It sounds like it could be a daylily. There are quite a few types of lily, I think the best thing to do would be to google or look on gardening/nursery web sites. Lilies usually grow from bulbs so removal should not be too difficult and you should be able to get rid of them in a couple of years or so. It may be useful to make a note/mark/video the area(s) as a reminder of where and what to look out for in following years.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 23:11:46 PM »
Sorry dont think the description is good enough.

How tall is plant what size is flower, what do petals look like and how many. has it got a centre and if so what is it like and anything else you can think of.

You could do a search on lilies but there are so many.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
Is it a lily?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 19:05:22 PM »
I realise that the ideal would be to upload a pic of the offending article but I don't have a digital camera and my moby is old and doesn't take pics. I would have to film it, then upload a still. So I'll try to describe what I found in my garden.
It has a small lily-like yellow bloom and long daffodil-type leaves. Luckily it's in a pot which I've put in the garage (the cats don't have access).

I dislike lilies for many reasons, one of the greatest of which is how poisonous they are for cats. Another is that they remind me of funerals and death generally. So if it is a lily, I want rid of it.

Any tips about recognising lilies and getting rid of them?
Thanks lots.  :thanks:

Link to CatChat