Author Topic: Cats dashing out of front door...  (Read 2243 times)

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
Re: Cats dashing out of front door...
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2014, 18:52:55 PM »
Wow Tiggy's mum, your mum sounds awesome! That porch/screen looks really professional.

The retractable door things looks OK - as long as the cat doesn't just jump over it...

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2014, 15:53:33 PM »
Just measured and the distance from the bottom of the first step on the stairs to the front door is 4ft 8" so if you have this much of a gap it's do-able.

:shocked: Helen your mum so go into business!

I know, she's unreal! The stuff she does that I would just get someone in to do without question is just  :Crazy: Without sounding sexist she was married to my Dad for 20 odd years and he did most of the DIY stuff at home so I have no idea where she even learnt half this stuff! She moved house a year ago and has virtually refurbised it single handedly, laying carpet, wallpapering/painting the entire house,  building all sorts of things like her doors. It hasn't rubbed off on me sadly, I wouldn't even attempt to put a shelf up!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2014, 15:47:26 PM »
Thats brilliant and could do with some DIY lessons

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2014, 15:45:27 PM »
 :shocked: Helen your mum so go into business!

Offline wickywack

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Daisy
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2014, 15:43:53 PM »
well done to your mum - this is impressive! We don't have as much room as you do but I wonder if a concertina door would work as well?

Hmm this has got me thinking!!

Thanks for the pics and description  ;D

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2014, 15:37:09 PM »
Pics...

It took nearly a day to do but bearing in mind my Mum is an OAP who is not a builder/carpenter by trade and just has regular DIY level compentence and I am a DIY dunce  :evillaugh:

It was actually quite easy, the first thing was two batons on each wall, the batons had a 'channel' dug out where the two side panels slotted into and were screwed in. A door was then attached to each side panel. We added the top bit as at the time one of my cats was very athletic and I think he would have easily jumped over. The top bit was just a baton across with a thin channel dug out and and then a bit of painted plywood slotted in. If you wanted to make it look a bit more preofessional you can use plasterboard sheets, third pic is of doors she put in her own house and built plasterboard bit above it herself  :Crazy: She did hers after she did mine so I complained about my sub-standard workmanship  :evillaugh:

If I wanted to remove the whole thing there would literally be four screw holes on either side to fill on the walls. I think it would have taken 1/2 a day but it took a bit of extra time as my Mum had to use a circular saw to cut strips off the doors as they didn't quite fit  :doh: There is enough room to get upstairs when the doors are closed, the angle of the pic makes it look a bit tight but even with both doors closed you can get up/down the stairs. Due to space issues the doors open different ways, second pic is of both doors open ie when I'm home.

Offline wickywack

• Kitten
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2014, 14:41:17 PM »
Ooh the screen idea is great! Nice and high!

Do you mind me asking how your mum created the internal porch?? How long did it take etc?  Do you have a picture?

:shy:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2014, 14:38:53 PM »
I had this issue and used a 'shoji' screen - very similar to this.... http://www.naturalliving.co.uk/acatalog/window-pane-shoji-screen.html#.U61yuUAuJ8M

My hallway is around 7ft wide so I had a 5 panel one. It just zig-zags accross the hall and is secured top and bottom with a hook/eye to the skirting board/kitchen door frame. This worked for around 4 years with no escapes but now I've built an internal porch ie two doors and side panels separating the front door in front of the stairs. I'm in no way DIY minded but my (pensioner!) Mum came and did it for me  :shy:

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2014, 13:48:35 PM »
if your back door is easily accessible, you could put a sign up in the front asking callers to come round to the back - which might give you a better look at them too

Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2014, 13:45:08 PM »
Definitely worth asking, Dawn.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 12:45:31 PM »
sorry to hijack but that gate looks like it might solve my when willow met tilly problem, I wonder if they do one a bit taller

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 12:39:14 PM »
I have the same problem. I just make people wait while I close the doors to the rooms they are in  :evillaugh: 

If you have suitable hallway you could fit another door internally to create an internal 'porch'.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 12:22:28 PM »

They're a Norfolk based company, so might provide a temporary solution.   :)

Offline wickywack

• Kitten
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 12:21:10 PM »
That looks good! 

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 12:19:47 PM »

God yes, Boilers cost a king's ransom these days. 

I have however found this which may help?

http://retract-a-gate.co.uk/online-store/bow-wow-barrier-48.html

Offline wickywack

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 12:11:09 PM »
We are buying and it is something we would like to do in the future but at the minute it is a very expensive solution that is trumped by a new boiler!!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 12:06:58 PM »

Mmmm yes, could be a tricky one.  Would you have an option of having a porch built at your new property?  (Sorry - dont know if you're buying or renting, and realise this wouldnt be practical if renting)

Offline wickywack

• Kitten
Cats dashing out of front door...
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 10:50:53 AM »
I hoping someone can give a little advice for a problem I am envisioning!!

We have two (indoor) cats - 1 is part dog, the other is a moggy through and through and its the dogcat I am worrying about!!

We're currently in the process of buying our first house and should get the keys in the next couple of weeks.

Were moving from an apartment, where when you open the front door, and the dogcat dashes out, it isn't a problem as there is a hallway which is safe and contained.

My concern is that she will do this in the new house, but will dash out onto the road into the big wide world! 

We've talked about 'solutions' and i have said that we could just use the back door and use the kitchen effectively as a porch area! but this isn't suitable when people ring the door bell etc..

We're still in two minds about introducing them to the outside - Daisy is 4 and Frankie is 2 and both very naive etc..

Any ideas? I've seen these retractable bow wow door barriers but they all look to be american sellers/websites...

TIA

Link to CatChat