Author Topic: Hayfever in cats???  (Read 1566 times)

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
Re: Hayfever in cats???
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 10:46:25 AM »
 :thanks: She is ok, and the sneezing seems to have stopped.

Either it was just a coincidence or just that the pollen count was extremely high that weekend.
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline Noodle1

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Marley Shiloh
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 23:52:55 PM »
I am very late on adding anything to this thread so it may not be relevant at all. However, I thought I'd add anyway...just incase  :)

Firsty; I hope Evie is okay. Secondly, cats can get hay fever as when my little kitten was poorly the vet told us that cats can get hayfever and sometimes symptoms can be itchy sore skin as well as sneezing and sore eyes. Hope this helps  :)

Cuddles to Evie

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 02:19:39 AM »
Have only just seen this thread.
Yes, I had a cat with hayfever: Samantha. She lived a good long life but was troubled by allergies. She was allergic to fleas, one bite would bring her out in big welts; I couldn't burn incense when she was in the room otherwise her breathing went a bit asthmatic (which could be brought back into rhythm by making her purr and relax); and every spring/summer she would sneeze frequently.
I sometimes wondered if she had a grass seed lodged up her nose, but it happened every year. She would have a clear trickle from her nose and eyes too, but nothing major and it didn't seem to bother her. I didn't take her to the vet specifically for that problem, though he did keep and eye on it if she had to go for something else.
It only happened intermittently, not all summer, and didn't seem to distress her, just be a bit of an annoyance.

I prefered not to medicate her for this.
She lived to be 19 and died from severe renal failure a year after her close friend Polly had died.  :(
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 09:56:00 AM »
Maybe its not if it manifests itself in itchy paws then.

Didn't hear any sneezes yesterday until I brought some freshly laundered clothes upstairs which did smell of conditioner, so maybe she has a sensitive nose (like me!) It made me sneeze too  :-:

Offline mad_lilli

• Hero Cat
  • Lady Marmalade of the fluffy trousers
    • Cruelty Free, Vegan Skincare Freshly Made in the UK
  • Slave to: Marmalade, Teddy, Crystal, Marco (Thug 1) and Polo (Thug 2)
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 15:50:43 PM »
Ted had a 'pollen allergy' when he was younger. It took the form of itchy skin and he ended up with nasty sores all round his neck. I had to give him piriton tablets (NOT a simple task). But he seems to have grown out of it!!
RIP beautiful Lilli 01.08.1999 - 02.01.2016 
My shadow since February 2002
I'll love you forever

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 14:31:18 PM »
Not a cat but I have had a dog with heyfever.  They lick their paws a lot and the only way to stop it is to bath the feet in water.  My dog never had itchy ears or eyes, but my current dog does do the sneezing, so I suspect his got a heyfever probelm.  I suppose they could have breathing problems as well, as humans can get asthma from it, so I suspects animals can too.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 14:14:14 PM »
sorry no idea, although I do have a friend with a horse who gets it so I suppose anything is possible!

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 13:53:30 PM »
Nobody?!

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
Hayfever in cats???
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 21:41:14 PM »
I have read that cats can get hayfever and think that Evie might have it?

Over the weekend and today she has been sneezing. There is no mucus or anything, just the occasional 'dry sneeze'. Her eyes are clear too.

I dont often get hayfever myself, but have had to take some antihistamines myself the last few days too!

Obviously I will monitor her for any further symptoms, and she seems her normal self.

Has anyone hafta cat with hayfever before? Thanks!

Link to CatChat