Author Topic: Free feeding  (Read 3174 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Free feeding
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2014, 22:26:18 PM »
Mined all freefeed and Misa and sasa would be very unhappy if they couldnt but both are large but Misa especially is just an enormous cat.

Lupin who is 3 really doesnt eat enough but has just started to whine for more food and it would really help if he ate the meat! Yes sir more food if you want  ;D

I would be tempted to start your cat on wet food if he will eat it cos its biscuits that put on the most weight.

With mine biscuits seem to take a while to expand in their tummys and stop them feeling hungry..............if they overeat they upchuck itt  :innocent:

Offline gillian86

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Mully and Lexi
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2014, 21:23:40 PM »
Why not try a treat ball with some extra biscuits in it, just a little extra to the 45g? Food and game all in one.

Mine have always had biscuits down all day, But they were a little older than your little one. We put down biscuits early in the morning, and about 7 in the evening. Pouch shared between 2 of them, 70/30 split whoever gets there 1st.lol

I think they are good with the food, its the Dreamies making them tubby.lol

We do this he has a catit treat ball that we either fill with his normal food or tuna treats :)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 21:31:54 PM by gillian86 »

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Charlie, Poppy, Wordy and Ollie. RIP Bridge Baby Harry. x
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2014, 21:18:51 PM »
Why not try a treat ball with some extra biscuits in it, just a little extra to the 45g? Food and game all in one.

Mine have always had biscuits down all day, But they were a little older than your little one. We put down biscuits early in the morning, and about 7 in the evening. Pouch shared between 2 of them, 70/30 split whoever gets there 1st.lol

I think they are good with the food, its the Dreamies making them tubby.lol

Offline gillian86

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2014, 09:59:15 AM »
I think it depends on the kitten.  Generally I think it's best to let kittens eat as much as they want but once they are neutered their metabolism will be a bit slower and that's when weight gain can start if they over indulge.  I free fed Jaffa and Magpie when they were kittens but at bout 6 months of age it got to the point where I would put food out in the morning (approx the amount recommended for 2 cats their size for a full day) and Jaffa would have eaten the lot before I'd even left for work.  So I switched at that point to fixed feeding and that worked fine.  Since then I have always fed at set mealtimes (3 times a day as that fits in with work best) and found that has lots of advantages, especially if/when you need to feed 2 or more cats different diets.  I now feed mostly wet food anyway and wouldn't want to leave that down all day.

I have started giving him a little extra now if it seems to me like  he's still hungry. I have heard they can get fat easily once they're neutered so I will definitely make sure I don't over do it once he's had that done.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2014, 09:42:50 AM »
I think it depends on the kitten.  Generally I think it's best to let kittens eat as much as they want but once they are neutered their metabolism will be a bit slower and that's when weight gain can start if they over indulge.  I free fed Jaffa and Magpie when they were kittens but at bout 6 months of age it got to the point where I would put food out in the morning (approx the amount recommended for 2 cats their size for a full day) and Jaffa would have eaten the lot before I'd even left for work.  So I switched at that point to fixed feeding and that worked fine.  Since then I have always fed at set mealtimes (3 times a day as that fits in with work best) and found that has lots of advantages, especially if/when you need to feed 2 or more cats different diets.  I now feed mostly wet food anyway and wouldn't want to leave that down all day.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2014, 07:44:25 AM »

Laughing at Dawn's comment.   :evillaugh:

I agree, I think it's difficult to "overfeed" a kitten, and most will normally let you know if they're hungry.  We fed a mix of wet and dried food, but dried food was (and still is) available all day for those that want it.  I'd  say an average day as adult cats, ours get about 2 to 3 pouches each, but generally only clear their bowls first thing in the morning.  They tend only to eat the dried food when there's little else left.   :innocent:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2014, 19:22:26 PM »
My kittens have always eaten more than the pack recommends including the Bengallys who are now 8 months Quaver weighs in at just over 4kgs and his sister Minstrel is a petite 2.85kgs mind you Mum Pyper is just 3.2 so it does depend on the kitten some of mine sort of grew up to over 6kgs and are lean and leggy and blood donors now as well

I have food down 24/7 as cats are grazers and like to eat when they want not when we dictate, my lot get tea at 6pm. supper at 11pm and breakfast top up at 8am and we have several bowls of biscuits about the place
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2014, 11:06:48 AM »
Mully will be fine, I do home visits for the RSPCA when people want to adopt a cat and that is a question I often get asked.

As they grow up their taste in food changes as do humans.

Each cat is different and nothing is set in stone  ;)

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 10:47:36 AM »
I think you are right about keeping to 4 feeds a day, if you able to, as they have such little tummies at 11 weeks that can only hold so much and a small increase in his food won't hurt him I'm sure.

Offline gillian86

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 10:31:57 AM »
Personally I wouldn't be worried about over feeding a kitten. You dont say if it is wet or dried food?

For my two I always left out some dried food and gave them wet food in the morning, then again in the evening. They do need a lot of calories, so kitten food is a lot more calorific than adult food.

He gets James Wellbeloved dried kitten food, this is what the rescue centre told us to use as he was weaned on to it from milk and its all he's ever had. He also gets the ocassional freeze dried tuna treat, I think we are giving him the right amount just wondered if a little extra would be bad as he sometimes still seems hungry. I know leaving them food to graze on all day isn't a good thing as they need set meal times.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 10:15:24 AM »
I don't think I've ever stuck to feeding quantities on packaging esp with the little uns.  I'm not sure how manufacturers can have a one quantity fits all feeding recommendation for kittens in any event.  Then again, 4 out of our 7 (mainly the girls) are pretty porky  ;) 

I wouldn't be too worried about overfeeding up to say 12 months.  Just be sensible about not going overboard.  Perhaps be more careful after that, esp if he looks to be getting tubby.  Believe me, you wouldn't want a tubby tabby.  We have one  ;)

Just read through your other posts and must congratulate you on such a gorgeous little tabby monster.  Beautiful markings  :Luv2: :Luv2:  Sound like he's reached the chewing stage so you are learning to protect wiring etc  :shify:  Our Groucho chewed his way through the Hi Fi and telephone wires  :-: 

Mully sounds like one spoilt little chap  :) :) :)

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 10:02:24 AM »
most kittens are looneys anyway, I don't think you can overfeed them!
  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 09:52:29 AM »
most kittens are looneys anyway, I don't think you can overfeed them!

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 09:47:34 AM »
Personally I wouldn't be worried about over feeding a kitten. You dont say if it is wet or dried food?

For my two I always left out some dried food and gave them wet food in the morning, then again in the evening. They do need a lot of calories, so kitten food is a lot more calorific than adult food.
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline gillian86

• Adult Cat
Free feeding
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 08:59:07 AM »
Currently my kitten gets 45 grams of food a day split in to 4 meals, sometimes though he will meow for what we believe is more food. We will play with him give him attention yet he carries on so if it is hunger for more food is it ok to give more? We are feeding him by the guidelines from the back of the food bag but I read somewhere kittens need lots of food as they are growing. 

Link to CatChat