Author Topic: When is the time to introduce to the great indoors!  (Read 2356 times)

Offline Kate S

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Miaowser (RIP baby boy) & Rocky (RIP fella- too short a time with us. The new boss Joey
Re: When is the time to introduce to the great indoors!
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2014, 08:00:19 AM »
I have bought a harness, but yet to be fitted, so I'm not sure how this will go! Thankfully, although he is looking out of the window, he has not been desperate to get out, so hopefully this will continue for a while. I will put some of his litter out in the garden when it's time as well.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2014, 07:33:15 AM »
Good idea about the pen, Hippykitty.    :hug:

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2014, 01:32:52 AM »
When you do allow him out - and I agree with what others have said about waiting longer - try to familiarise him with the sights, sounds and smells of his home on the outside before letting him go off on his own. If he will take to a harness, walk him round the garden, hold the end of the harness while you sit and allow him to explore on a long leash.

I moved house recently with five cats. I kept them in for a couple of months, let them out and never saw one of them again, another went missing the following week. I think Fred, who didn't return from his first outing, was confused because he expected to see all the clues he would have seen at the old address and he didn't recognise the new house from the outside. Why George went missing is a mystery.
But this is why I recommend going very slowly in introducing your cat to your outdoors. Even if he's closely bonded to you and to the indoors, outdoors and the sight of your house from outdoors will all be new, and he needs to learn to recognise it.

So try a harness or a large pen in the garden (out of direct sunlight) so that he can bond with your garden.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Kate S

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Miaowser (RIP baby boy) & Rocky (RIP fella- too short a time with us. The new boss Joey
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2014, 19:08:54 PM »
Aah the laser toy! Is on my shopping list next :wow:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2014, 12:33:27 PM »
Just to say can sympathise with the feet playing this morning it was a joint attack from my 3 youngest Sergai who is 10 months and the Bengally hooligans who are now 8 months Quaver and Minstrel who move as a pack!!

the below link is for the freestanding laser toy from the Purrs shops it has a timer setting aloing with 4 speeds and my indoor only cats love it in fact our timer no longer works due to Pyper Bengal Intervention so now runs till the parent turns it off

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/shop/best-cat-toys/cat-toys-Interactive/Dart%20Frolicat-Automatic%20laser%20cat%20toy

I am on week 4 of Bengal kitten playtime in the outside world = they get a couple of hours in the morning and all day at the weekends apart from that they are house cats as they are still to little and having been born here when Mum was on foster have no fear of anything like Sergai and some of my other youngsters who are former ferals now all tamed down
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Kate S

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2014, 09:26:46 AM »
Thanks everyone. I will keep him in for now. Last night he was calm, except playing with our toes at 5 this morning! But he was just hungry. . I think he is getting used to us and the flat (fingers crossed). He likes his toys, so I will keep indulging his mad half hours as and when.

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2014, 18:19:44 PM »
Sparrowhawks! How big are your cats?

5 months. Too big for.sparrowhawks but they do come in the garden and take pigeons.  ;D
It is mainly the roads. Two very busy A roads either side which in the last 2 or 3 year's have claimed more cats than I can count on two hands
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 19:21:34 PM by hollycat »

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2014, 18:16:38 PM »
Sparrowhawks! How big are your cats?

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 14:51:36 PM »
Hi. Personaly I would never let my two out it is just too dangerous.  Cars, Sparrowhawks and Buzzards. Not to mention Foxes.
They will however be going for walks on a lead. They are getting used to it now  ;D ;D

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 13:54:57 PM »
Another one here who would say keep him in a while longer if you can, and for very much the same thought processes as Sam and Cutecats. 

Offline CuteCats

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 12:45:27 PM »
I agree with Sam.  I think maybe letting him out could give him a taste for freedom too.  We tried harnesses on 2 kittens for a while, but it is was very difficult.  They tried to drag us up the tree in the garden and over the wall.  One was scared of a neighbourhood cat on the wall and shot straight back into the house!  I guess some have more luck though.  An enclosed garden is good anyway, when he's calmed down a bit.  Those hormones can last quite some time.  Billy had the snip in March, and it was at least 8 weeks before he calmed down.  He loves the house now and gets on pretty well with the 2 indoor Girls.  :)

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 11:55:37 AM »
It is recommended to keep a new cat indoors for at least 5 or 6 weeks (longer if you can) so they can really bond with the house and you.

If he was only done yesterday then he will still have hormones coursing round his system so it is a good idea not to let him out until he is less driven the his desire to look for "love".

I wouldn't worry about leaving your little one indoors when you are at work .... most cats sleep at 15 hours a day and if no one is in the house he will curl up and snooze the day away ;)
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Kate S

• Adult Cat
When is the time to introduce to the great indoors!
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 09:38:39 AM »
Good Morning everyone. Our new addition had his castration yesterday and is doing well. he is due to have the rest of his jabs on tuesday. he is of course now desperate to go out and is recking the place! Especially at night, when we try to sleep. The vet said if he is going mad, to allow him out with a supervised visit. I have a cat flap and enclosed garden. I was wondering does anyone have experience of using a lead/ harness? ( He is used to a collar). He is still a little nervous ( although he sat on my lap this morning for about 30 seconds  :Luv:) so I am worried he will run off.  I have got some treats for him to train him with the cat flap door.If I do let him out for a while, I will have to keep him locked in again Monday and Tuesday while I am at work, and I know this will upset him again. I am going to Pets at Home today to get extra toys etc to entertain him. Sorry if this sounds all very neurotic, but my previous 2 adopted us and so knew the neighbourhood. Any advice please? :thanks:

Link to CatChat