Author Topic: Toy recommendations please!  (Read 2165 times)

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
Re: Toy recommendations please!
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2014, 15:56:45 PM »
There are a lot of things he doesn't like Susanne  ;)

If he likes string why not dangle some from handles on doors or cupboards or get a kitchen roll tube and thread some string all the way through it or put a hole in one end and dangle it.  He might lay with these on his own.

Screw up some tin foil or paper and leave it on the floor for him to play with in his own time?

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 11:17:09 AM »
To be honest my two are hopeless when it comes to toys. I keep buying them things. They are indoor only so I feel I need to give them stuff to help stimulate them. In the last few months I've got them the cat track with the ball inside, Xander played with for a while now goes nowhere near it. I got them the red dot and they just keep looking at the mouse/torch part not the dot. They have a big cat tree they sleep on it but never use it to play. They do like the valerian and honeysuckle toys but that doesn't really help them get any exercise. Xander also like the treat ball.   

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 09:47:54 AM »
Yes the red dot is always a winner.

You could also stimulate him mentally by getting a puzzle feeder thing? I havent used one (and cant think if mosi has any dried food - you can always put some dreamies in)

I was looking for a square white one I had seen ages ago, but there are loads of different types

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_bowls_feeders/plastic/186182

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_bowls_feeders/plastic/slow_feed_cat_bowls/232754

http://www.viovet.co.uk/Aikiou_Stimulo_Cat_Activity_Centre/c18016/

http://www.viovet.co.uk/Nina_Ottosson_Cat_Treat_Maze/c14221/?quick_find=138167&gclid=CMT8zs-Eg78CFQfJtAodSx0APA
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 23:14:56 PM »
Try a tunnel toy, like this or a variation:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/90cm-Long-Exercise-Play-Tunnel/dp/B008B7TDQ6/ref=sr_1_15?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1403043216&sr=1-15&keywords=cat+tunnel+play+toy

Ping pong balls are fun too, but they get lost very quickly so buy lots. You'll find them all again when you do the hoovering or move the furniture.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 23:17:27 PM by Hippykitty »
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 22:36:00 PM »
Teach him the red dot Susanne. Take it slow at first, really just dawdle the dot across the floor in front of his face an he won't be able to resist after a few passes.  ;)

The cat tree remains a firm favourite so long as it allows a view from the window. I would recommend a tall one with sleeping platforms, the one I won in the auction is very popular and recommended by the boys here.  ;D

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 22:07:45 PM »
Susanne, I have a similar problem with Alfie. He's not good at playing on his own, Cleo won't play and I am very limited in what I can do with him. He seems bored with everything I offer at the moment - other than playing with a feather-duster pushed under the door but I can't stay down and do that for long. He's not bothered by the ballinnacircle thing. I will be really interested in the replies!

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 18:10:47 PM »

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Toy recommendations please!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 17:31:46 PM »
It's that question again!  What's the IT toy?  ;D

I've decided that Mosi needs some new toys.  Now that he's on his own I am worried about him being bored during the day and then needing lots of play when I get home but all our toys are a bit old and tired.  Mosi is a lively and inquisitive cat who gets bored easily.  He has the usual cubes etc which he likes.  He won't play with things like balls, toy mice etc. unless I throw them for them.  He likes interactive play and is unlikely to start playing with a toy on his own (although he does sometimes stumble upon a toy and start batting it around).  I have lots of da bird type toys but he seems a bit bored with a lot of them.  He will play a bit but soon stops chasing them.  A piece of string works just as well and is actually one of his favourites at the moment.  Maybe I just need some new bits to go on the end.  He likes it when I wave a feather or something under the door with me one side and him the other.  I can see his ears moving forward in deep concentration before he pounces to chase it under the door  ;D  He needs mental stimulation as well as physical.  A new cat tree is something I am looking into but that will be a few months away as I can't afford it yet.  But any suggestions for toys?

Link to CatChat