Author Topic: grain free food for cats with kidney problems  (Read 1982 times)

Offline cathycat

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Alfie
Re: grain free food for cats with kidney problems
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 21:53:09 PM »
Thanks Susanne :-[sorry only just seen your post.Thankyou for the information :)
Bridge cats Ellie,Harvey,Eddie,Charlie,
Miss you all so much. xx

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 16:44:25 PM »
If you look on zooplus website the phosphorus content is given for quite a few of their foods (although you will have to work out the content on a dry matter basis) and there are lots of grain free wet foods that have a low phosphorus content (porta 21, Terra Faelis, Feringa to name 3) but I'm not sure about dry foods as I only fed wet to my cat with renal failure.  There is some controversy about whether low protein is necessary or desirable for cats with kidney failure, especially if it is in the early stages.  If your cat has early stage renal failure I would be inclined to feed a good quality grain free food (eg Thrive, Applaws) rather than an actual renal dry food but that's a personal decision and it does depend on various factors including how far advanced the disease is.  Does your cat eat any wet food at all?  As I'm sure you know, dehydration can be a big problem in cats with renal failure and wet food is the best way of getting water into them so if you can get him to eat any wet food at all that would probably help

Do you know about Tanya's crf site?  There are lists of canned and dry foods with the nutritional info, including phosphorus content, listed. 

http://www.felinecrf.org/canned_food_uk.htm

http://www.felinecrf.org/dry_food_uk.htm

Hope that helps.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 22:51:09 PM »
I buy Josera Carisimo from Zooplus and my three really like it - none of them has renal problems yet, but I give it to them to balance out regular dry foods

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/dry_cat_food/josera/289888
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline cathycat

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Alfie
grain free food for cats with kidney problems
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 22:42:44 PM »
Hi all.Could any one tell me if there is a food which supports kidney function for cats with renal failure but which is grain free?My cat Eddie has been given Hills k/d dry food for renal health at the vets but its got a lot of grain in it which has made his diarrhoea really bad.Previously he was having James Wellbeloved grain free which really suited him.but that isn't suitable for his kidney problems.I would of course run any suggestion past the vet but thought id find out if anything is available which has been tried and tested.Thanks
Bridge cats Ellie,Harvey,Eddie,Charlie,
Miss you all so much. xx

Link to CatChat