Author Topic: Should I adopt another cat?  (Read 2542 times)

Offline Reets

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Bruno
Re: Should I adopt another cat?
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2014, 21:39:17 PM »
I think the key word there is "usually" and they would almost certainly consider you unless they thought you were a hoarder, or didn't gave the resources to give the adoptees a good home.

I think this is correct - they want to avoid hoarders.  I know of several instances where they have re-homed to homes with resident cats already in place.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2014, 08:39:28 AM »
Thank you sheilarose and Jiji. I probably over-reacted at reading that, but it seemed so silly, as so many responsible Purrs peeps have multiple well cared for cats.

I've emailed them, pointing out that they may be unnecessarily restricting available homes for their cats, and that there's a difference between a hoarder and someone who has a number of cats who are well fed, neutered, vaccin'd, chipped and given health care when needed. Just having that statement on their homing page will put many good potential forever homes from contacting them. They can easily sort all this out during the homecheck.

I'll keep looking for a pusscat to join my small tribe of spoiled cats.  :Luv:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2014, 05:45:20 AM »
There could be many reasons they put that there and as Sheila said it does say usually not never. You could give them a call and even if they said no there are still plenty of cats out there needing the loving home you can give them HK. I am sure the purrrfect cat for you and your fur family is out there somewhere  :)

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2014, 22:51:43 PM »
I think the key word there is "usually" and they would almost certainly consider you unless they thought you were a hoarder, or didn't gave the resources to give the adoptees a good home.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2014, 21:59:47 PM »
I've just been looking at the Ward End website, and found this:

We usually do not rehome cats or kittens into homes that have multiple cats already.

You can find that statement on this, rather long, page:
http://www.wardendcatrescue.org.uk/3.html

:what:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Reets

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Bruno
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2014, 13:17:55 PM »
Ward End are great, our boy came from there.  They have an outbreak of cat flu at the moment and can't take any cats.

Lovely, lovely people.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 01:37:22 AM »
Thanks for the info. I've had a tortie and white before: Grissell (Griselda). She was lovely and very affectionate. She was given to me by a vet I was dating as she'd been brought in with a broken leg and the owners refused to pay the bill saying, "you can keep the bl@@dy cat!". I was renting a room at the time and had to convince my landlord to let me have her. She could be temperamental at times, but was much easier to care for than an ex feral. I could give her pills!!

When Fred and George went missing Petlog told me that because I had a premium policy with them (which I took out when I had to change my address) they would contact all my local vets and rescues for me, putting out an alert in case they were brought in, so I didn't contact them myself. But I've looked at the CatChat page which gives all the rescues in an area and there are a couple not too far away.

Was there once a member called Julie who worked at Coventy Cat Rescue, or CovCats? I vaguely remember her recommending the people who adopted two of Fred's colony.
I don't drive and Coventry is a long taxi run from here and my one car-owning friend smashed her car up not too long ago. It wasn't her fault, I must add.

There's a rescue in Ward End, which isn't far; South Birmingham CP; and WellCat, for starters.

So in theory, you agree that it's a good idea? It seems a case of two's company...

Thanks so much for the input.  :thanks:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 17:00:20 PM »
Sasa although a semi feral is the least norty tortie there is I think, itsd just she is scaredc of people but now loves being strokes.

Every cat has their own personalty...........oh she gave Misa a two fisted bop last might cos he pushed her away from her biscuits when she was eating!!

Coventry Cats is a great choice and Angie very helpful, she bought Napoleon and Ducha too me.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 07:00:31 AM »
They're not called nortie torties for nothing, HK. Not met one yet that was calm of nature. Bags of personality, yes, independent, yes, calm? Nope  :rofl:

I'd have a chat with your local rescue (I assume you have their number as you will have given them details of your lost boys?) and see if they have a cat that fits your requirements.

Have a look at Coventry Cat Group, they're not far from you and Angie knows her all her cats purrsonally. It's a Purrs registered charity and a smashing day out if you haven't been to the rescue before.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 02:46:21 AM »
I've just read through Treacle's thread in the cats needing homes section, and I really couldn't handle another escape artist after having three go missing in a short space of time. This has put tremendous stress on me, along with the other things I've had to deal with, such as moving house. I'm not sure he's the right companion to Victoria either.

I would be looking for a non-dominant gentle cat who gets on very well with other cats. I think one who looks like her might help as she had a sister (who I called Winnie, but her new people call Midred) in the colony who looked like her. Victoria and Fred were part of a feral colony of 8 I rescued many years ago; the other 6 found homes and I kept Vic and Fred. One of my close friends has Alfie, one of the youngsters from the group. According to all I've heard, this group settled very well as they weren't as 'wild' as Lucy and co.

Although my own preference is for black and white cats, I think Victoria would like a tortie and white friend.

I feel I've done my bit for cats with personality issues and ferals; it would be nice to have a loving, trusting domestic who doesn't think I intend to kill them every time I try to put some flea drops on him/her. Maybe a cat who needs a home as the result of his person dying or moving where cats aren't allowed, rather than a street cat. I suppose I should be saying 'she' as I think most tortie and whites are female (?).

I'm sure Victoria is grieving, but I think this is being worsened by the way she's isolated in my cat family. I think a friend might take her mind off her grief and allow her to be part of an alliance.

Naturally, I would tell whichever rescue I go to (this area doesn't have many rescues or vets) that I may have to return the cat if Victoria takes a dislike to the newcomer.
I'm in South Yardley in Birmingham (UK).

Sorry this is such a long post, but this is something which has been at the back of my mind since Fred and George went missing. I had decided to just focus on the remaining 3 until noticing Victoria's isolation.  :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 01:02:43 AM »
You would have to do the introductions very carefully and Victoria could be grieving.

Gill doesnt Treacle wander?

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 22:41:46 PM »
I have a lovely ginger boy looking for a home if you want to check the thread. Treacle with regret is looking for a forever home, depends on where you are and if you decide to get another one.
He is fine with my cats now except Winston who,he hates, I think its because Winston can't see and his eyes look so big sometimes. He likes to do his own thing ,but mine mostly ignore him . I am sure he would love a proper friend.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
Should I adopt another cat?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 21:28:58 PM »
As some of you may know, I used to have 6 cats, then back in October, a month before I moved house, Pebbles disappeared. Despite masses of publicity and the fact that he was chipped, he was never seen or heard of again. I sometimes keep in touch with one of the neighbours at my old address, and she hasn't seen him.
Then in April this year, Fred went missing from the new house, a week later George went too. Again I did all the usual leaflet drops, phoning Petlog, and placing him on missing registers. I had a few calls re sightings of Fred, but nothing about George. Neither have returned.

The feline dynamics in the house have changed. I now have those cats listed under my avatar. (The pic is of Victoria.) Vic is the sister of missing Fred; Lucy is the mother to missing Pebbles and George and also one of her sons who is still here: Cydric.
At first they were all gloomy and kept to themselves, but now Cyd and his mum are always together, snuggled together, washing each other etc. Victoria seems very much alone. When they are in at night she just sits in the window looking sorry for herself. I have to keep going to her to fuss her because I'm sure she's lonely.

Which is why I'm now thinking of getting another cat; someone who could be a companion to Victoria. As far as I'm concerned, the more the merrier.
What do others think?  :thanks:
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 21:35:50 PM by Hippykitty »

Link to CatChat