Author Topic: How did you find the name for your cat?  (Read 4764 times)

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
Re: How did you find the name for your cat?
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2014, 07:10:38 AM »

Barnaby may turn out to be a Detective Cat.  As in Inspector Barnaby, Midsomer Murders.    :shify: 

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Bebe & Bruno
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2014, 22:15:06 PM »
I love all the different names  :Luv2:

Bebe - was already her name when we adopted her. It was suppose to be baby but the original owners little girl couldn't say baby, it came out as Bebe so they kept it.

Bruno - well from the first time we met him at 3 weeks of age he was already the biggest out of his litter. He would 'remove' his litter mates out of the way to get milk and if they didn't move he would just sit on them. We decided we needed a name that represented his character. Then we remembered Frank Bruno....and so Bruno it was!!

Barnaby - well originally he was called simba but as he didn't know his name as his original owner only had him two weeks we decided to change it. We wanted to keep the 'B' theme going so we decided on Baxter.....but we kept saying Dexter which was annoying. Plus Baxter seemed too....mean sounding for him so we decided on Barnaby. Much softer and sweet, just like he is :)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2014, 07:10:20 AM »

I did wonder about Bane's name - it's a fab name, and suits him well, as  Harvey's does too.  :)

Offline Arcanegirl

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Bane and un-named
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2014, 17:42:49 PM »
Bane came to us already named, he belonged to a friend of mine. I still see my friend every week and I didnt feel right changing his name so we kept it.

Harvey was named with a Batman link (as is Bane) but also because we are fans of Sabrina the teenage witch (watching the seasons all over again just now) and Harvey just seemed to fit him perfectly.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2014, 17:11:43 PM »
  Baldrick 'cos he was scruffy & brown with a cunning plan.   
  Fabulous!  :evillaugh:

Actually I love all of your cats names and the reasons behind it.  Isn't it one of the most interesting subjects?  ;D

Offline siou2

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Taz, Marvin, Monty, Merlin & DS RIP Tasha & Baldrick
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2014, 14:58:39 PM »
I tend to name mine once I know their character - 

Taz (Tazmanian Devil) 'cos he's sweet one minute and then swinging off the curtains the next. 

Tasha (the terrible) as she ruled with an iron claw. 

Baldrick 'cos he was scruffy & brown with a cunning plan. 

Marvin (starvin') as I could nearly see though him when he turned up, was more apt then I thought as he's the slowest cat in the world and reminds me of Marvin the paranoid android.  :rofl:

Merlin - turned up as if by magic, got past my OH and makes an enormous amount of food disappear.

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2014, 10:27:51 AM »
Dexter was named after the TV series about a serial killer. It doesn't really go with him cos he is the softest most gentle cat around (unless poor Denzel is sleeping somewhere Dex wants to be....!)

Denzel - OH picked the name before we got the kittens, and we were originally going to get two boys. But 'SUPRISE!' i fell in love with Denzel.

Evie was Eve at the rescue cos she arrived there on New years eve. I like Evie better  :innocent:
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2014, 06:37:14 AM »
  Groucho ......... just seemed to fit and certainly wasn't going to name him Greebo   :P     

Why.  What's wrong with Greebo?  I thought it was a perfectly acceptable name for a cat.    :naughty:

[My suggestion, which Rosella dismissed out of hand  :evillaugh:]

How about calling your visitor Shadow?  Or Bagheera, after the Panther in the Jungle Book?  Or Indie (Indigo?)  Which reminds me that I think Inigo Jones would be the most splendid name for a cat interested in architecture, but I havent had one of those yet  :evillaugh:)

I love thinking up cat names, but I do think that it's also quite one of the most difficult things to do, to come up with the name which reflects the character of the cat you're naming.  And I do subscribe to the theories set out in old Possum's Book of Cats about cat names:

"The Naming of Cats is a difficult matter,
It isn’t just one of your holiday games;
You may think at first I’m as mad as a hatter
When I tell you, a cat must have THREE DIFFERENT NAMES."

The daily use name, the particular (peculiar) name, so that a cat may hold it's tail up with pride, and the name that no-one else knows.   ;)

We began with Suki The Slink - she was black and white and quite aloof, but loved to suckle on a jumper when she thought no-one else was watching.

Then came Paddy Padmeister, the venerable sage (AKA The Padster), followed by Flynn (because it went well with Paddy).    He was Flynn the Fearless (even though he once shied away from the largest earwig wot you ever did see!)   :scared:

MacBeenz MacSquee was next, and so named because he was just so adorable, and it had Scots overtones, so suited my OH, who is of Scots origin.

Ross was named after "Ross and Cromarty" - again, Scots based areas we loved to holiday in.  He was also known as Ross Fray Bentos, or "Beefy" because he grew to be a big lad (albeit never an old cat, alas.)

Tinks was named before he came to live with us, and he's kind of grown into it.  :evillaugh:  AKA Mr Tinks or Dickie the Tink for reasons which are better left where they are....  :evillaugh:.)

Moray has again the Scots overtones, but rhymes with Murray, and suits his general exuberance.  AKA Murray Mint, or Murray Monsta (and sometimes "Norah" because that's what Kindle predictive text does to "Moray".  :evillaugh:)

I love "Clark Man Cat" - that's a name with class  ;)

Offline lau200

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Moustache, the Flick and Hairy Pants!
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2014, 19:40:22 PM »
Clark Man Cat: his markings looked like a white moustache and reminded of Clark Gable and he was a stray originally and i used to say "that man cat is here again" and it stuck  ;D

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2014, 00:27:34 AM »
Unimaginative names

Theo Wallcat
Tufty
Chubby
Pursley
Beau
King George

Chosen by others good solid names

Sylvester
Sam
Polly

Moments of clarity
Kuki
Kato

They looked a bit oriental

Over to you  :shy:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2014, 23:13:19 PM »
Lol at least I was polite  :rofl:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2014, 21:32:56 PM »
czerny pivo  ;D

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2014, 21:24:02 PM »
Pivo prosim  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2014, 17:45:32 PM »
Good try HK! I'm afraid the facts are nothing like as exotic though. Mr S and I had a weekend in Prague some years ago and we learned the stuff about the Czech alphabet while we were there. We picked up enough of the language to order ourselves black beer  :naughty:

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2014, 21:14:55 PM »
Slugsta, do you mean that your mother went to Prague and had a holiday romance nine months before you were born?  :allears:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2014, 20:15:22 PM »
Gill, my Czech connection is no more than a weekend in Prague, I'm afraid! I do agree about that accented 'r' - we asked how to pronounce the word for 'three' and were told that most English people find it impossible. Good job there were only 2 of us  :rofl:

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Chelsea (March 1994 ~ March 2012 - Rest in peace my darling), Luna and Cleo plus Simba the Ginga
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2014, 14:24:03 PM »
Luna and Cleo were changed from Bib and Tucker. Luna has a white bib and I guess Tucker just goes with it.
We went through a whole load of sisters names such as Kate & Pippa, Venus & Serena and Roxy & Ronnie but they kind of named themselves. Luna settled in her new home in two minutes flat and was running round like a lunatic and Cleo was really shy but all of a sudden came out from under the bed and started rolling over so we now have the moon goddess and the queen of the Nile.

Simba was named at the rescue and answered to it so as he looks like a little lion it stayed.     

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2014, 10:13:06 AM »
Purdy, if you don't know the gender of your visitor, try a name which can be turned into either a male or female name. For example, when I rescued Lucy and her three kits, I knew she must be female so gave her one of my middle names which was also my paternal grandmother's name. Lucy is also one of those names which can be changed (she was a mum, so had to be a female) : Luce; Lucy; Lucius; Lucifer; Louis; Louise. I didn't know the sex of her kits, so called them George, which could be changed to Georgette or Georgina; Cyd, which could be Cyd as in Cyd Cherisse, or Sidney, or Cydric (I fancied a Viking name for him); Pebbles was first named Leslie by the vet when taken for a flu diagnosis (he was the first I trapped), but quickly changed to a name which described his patterning, which would suit either a male or female cat.

Names for your black visitor....mm....Maybe you could hold a competition on Purrs, the prize? having the cat given the chosen name.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2014, 02:05:41 AM »
Thanks Gill, that is really interesting  ;D I love the way the Czech alphabet has different accents so that there is only ever one way to pronounce each letter - 'so easy that even women and children can use it'.*

* In the opinion of the man who developed the alphabet (whose name I can't remember).

OMG didnt know the last!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wish he hadnt made the r with an accent lol...............tri............r with an accent, must be one of the hardest words to pronounce.

So what is your Czech connection?

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2014, 19:30:21 PM »
Thanks Gill, that is really interesting  ;D I love the way the Czech alphabet has different accents so that there is only ever one way to pronounce each letter - 'so easy that even women and children can use it'.*

* In the opinion of the man who developed the alphabet (whose name I can't remember).

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2014, 19:14:42 PM »
I loved Czechoslavakia, and it just kept popping into my life and was trying to learn Czech so knew that kocka was cat. Thought it rude to call a cat Cat lol but Kocka sou nded good and she answered to it right from the start, its pronounced Koch-ka cos of an accent over the c.  It was going to be temporary and thought she may have a home  but no to both!

Misa was called Ben! by CP and Sasa who had been there for well over a year was called Honey but she didnt answer to that but does to Sasa.............pronounced Sasha, accent over second s lol.

Misa pronounced Meesha cos accents over i and s.

Ducha is prounced Dooka cos u is oo lol and Franta well that is just said as it is and is short for Franticek, c is ch, yes that accent aagin and Franta is Frankie but he chose to stay as Napoleon  :innocent:

maybe he knew that part of his pedigree name was Czech and one name in it was Napoleon.

Ducha and Napoleon were litter mates and came from a very good lineage on the male side and a lady in the Birman club had a relative, may have been the Grand Champion himself but have forgotten but they were also related to one of Kirsts cats. This cat seemed to be used for breeding in the south of england.

Lupin has a rubbish pedigree and his feet are way under standard with white dripping up one leg and short white on one front foot..............think his breeder was messing around experimenting so instead of mating a blue and seal point she bred different colorpionts together.  However he is so handsome but his temperment is not very good, vicious, nippy, scratchy and cos birmans are so intelligent he works out how to do as much damage as possible!!

Sorry gone off the name topic lol but find birmans so interesting.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2014, 18:04:12 PM »
ooh names...

when I got Jaffa I also had his brother (the B&W in my avatar).  I couldn't think of names at first but Jaffa was eventually named Jaffa because he's orange  :shify:  Around the time I got them there was a ginger cat in a cat magazine who had won a cat show and was called Jaffa so that sowed the seed and then a friend named her puppy Jaffa so I decided my gingerbread man was a Jaffa!  Magpie was called Magpie for obvious reasons.  That and the fact that he was a Newcastle United fan ;)  So they became Jaffa and Magpie (not hard to work out who was who in photographs!).  Or to give them their full titles Jaffa is Jaffa Cake Stripey Paws (he became Sir Jaffa Cake Stripey Paws later in life as you need a bit of maturity and gravitas to carry that off ;)) and Magpie was Magpie Fluffy Features.

Mosi was altogether a more tricky one to name.  All sorts of names were tried out but I fancied a Somali name with him being a Somali cat (although they don't come from Somalia).  I couldn't find a Somali name that sounded right but I found some Swahili names that did and reckoned that was close enough.  Mosi means first born - Mosi was the first of his litter to be born and his mum's first litter - and I later found out it is also a native American word meaning cat.  His pedigree name is Advish Hobgoblin so his full name now is Mosi Hobgoblin  ;D  Or NOMosiNOGetDownFromThereNOW  :innocent:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2014, 14:32:50 PM »
I don't usually like giving animals 'human' names. We thought we were finding a temporary name for Alfie, just until we found his home and returned him. When Mr S suggested 'Alfred' I said 'no way!' but agreed on Alfie. By the time we found his family and they had agreed to let us keep him, the name Alfie had stuck.

Cleo belonged to my SIL, we agreed to take her when SIL and her hubby decided to travel on their boat. At that stage, Cleo was called 'Fliss' but that is the name of our son's partner so it had to go! We aldready had 'Alfred the Great' (The Great Alfredo) so decided that Queen Cleopatra would do nicely. I also wonder if she is deaf, not just because she never comes when she is called...

Gill, what is the Czech connection please?

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 13:05:34 PM »
I'm getting steered towards the name Kate,  I've already got a Connor so looked up the name of that characters wife and yep it was that, also I have a great love of Captain Kate Janeway plus Kate Mulgrew who played her.  The only problems are that I have an Aunty Kathy and the cat maybe a boy!  I can't imagine calling Arnie in the middle of the night.   :rofl:

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 08:48:22 AM »
Our two girls were called Bits and Bobs when we got them from the rescue which are cute names but didn't really suit them. We decided to give them names associated with either films or music, because we love both; Drum and Bass were nice short names that went together.

Drum answers to her name but Bass answers to nothing at all (recently we briefly wondered if she was deaf - she isn't :sneaky: ).
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 01:36:02 AM »
All my cats until Lupin had czech names, Kocka means cat and she was a probably dumped cat and I hated them..........cats that is. She taught me about cats and was the most loving adorable and  and sat on my shoulder.

Misa and Sasa are short for Michael and Alexandra in czech.

My two birmans came as Napoleon and Wellington and I added Franta and Ducha in front.  Napoleon seemed to be deaf and convinced the vet too and didnt take any notice of either name. I got cross one day and shouted Napoleon and he turned round and looked and answered to Napoleon for the rest of his life  ;D

Ducha would not answer to Wellington but did to Ducha.

Lupin is part of his pedigree name which is A....... Lupinbud............I just couldnt think of a name for him and decided Lupin was it................he had been called Storm in his first home and boy do I know why! So he is the first cat without a czech name.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 22:49:27 PM »
Billy Whiz is quick.  Very quick  :scared:

Millie and Ruby coz I like the names.  Had never heard of the make up.  Weird or what  :shify:

Their mom Dinah was named after the cat at the start of Alice in Wonderland as that was the name of BIL's partner's cat when she was young.  I was trying to encourage her to visit as she is allergic to cats.

Boris came already named but OH likes chess so he thought of Boris Spasky and, when his brother Bertie joined us, he renamed him Bobby after Bobby Fischer.

HRH Princess Noni Baroni joined us already named by JackSpratt (Noni is a Tahitian herb I think) but we added "of the Hula Hula Hips" to her title  :evillaugh:

Groucho ......... just seemed to fit and certainly wasn't going to name him Greebo   :P   
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 22:52:28 PM by Rosella moggy »

Offline Bren22

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Carrie, Harvey & Jess & fostermum for CCG and all my lovely pets on the bridge
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 17:04:51 PM »
Jasper and Jess were born in a stable, I (for a second or two) considered calling him Jesus, but Jasper was more PC, and Jess was named from Postman Pat's cat.  Harvey is white so was named after the invisible white rabbit in an old film. When I adopted Carrie she was called Tinkerbell, so that had to go!  My foster families all have themed names, the present ones are mum (already named) Judy Garland, so babes are Glenda, Dorothy, Toto and Wiz. Previous themes were Star Wars and Magic Roundabout.  I think the main thing to remember is that whatever name you give a cat it will probably ignore you and if you choose a daft name you'll regret it when you're trying to call them in from the garden at midnight.

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 21:41:02 PM »
I gained Sooty (guess what colour he was?) already named

Milly was also already named

Geoffrey came with Milly but he was called Rio.  We were both absolutely insistent that he wasn't going to be called Rio; at first we tried Leo so it sounded similar, but it just didn't suit him.  I kept on saying "he looks like his name should be Geoffrey" and my OH was like 'there's no way I'm having a cat called Geoffrey'  :rofl:  Every time someone came to visit I asked them, and they all agreed that he definitely looked like a Geoffrey.  So, after about 3 weeks of arguing, I won  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 21:41:23 PM by fluffybunny »

Offline MrsPurrfect

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: George, Milly and Ollie
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 21:24:00 PM »
George was named after George Clooney (his full name is George William)
Milldred - shortened to Mily.  This was to go with George as in the comedy George and Milldred (her full name is Milly Grace)
Ollie because I liked the name (his fulll name is Oliver James)

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 21:00:06 PM »
I named mine and their litter mates, as I was fostering them, all after characters in Buffy. Willow and Spike went to new homes. I know Spike ended up as Maestro.

My old cat was called Grey Cat she started as little grey cat as we didn't know if she was going to be male or female. We saw her when she was a day old so the name had stuck by the time we got her. I used to love the Little Grey Rabbit books when I was a child.

My sister has just adopted a cat she calls her Bea. Apparently her real name (given by her original owner is Beyonce)  :rofl:

I find it really difficult coming up with names for cats. Thank goodness I don't have any children.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 18:23:12 PM by Mymblesdaughter »

Offline beowulf

• Adult Cat
  • Willow and Jessie's provider
  • Slave to: Willow and Jessie-Moo
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 19:17:25 PM »
Willow was called Heidi at the rescue cos she always ran away and hid from anyone who came looking  ......................we just drew up a list of names we liked after spending a while on t'internet searching for them......we just narrowed it down to something we both liked

Jessie was originally called Misty cos she was grey as a kitten but since she is now black we wanted to change it.....we did the same as Willow, drew up a short list (since we had Willow i wanted to call her Buffy  :evillaugh: but that wasnt allowed  :P ) i still like Molly but grand daughter decided on Jessie

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
How did you find the name for your cat?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 17:12:36 PM »
The black cat visitor to the garden still remains nameless, I just can't decided on one name, probably as I don't know the said moggies gender yet.  It made me think how you found your current cats names.

My bridge cats were named as follows:

Chloe - she as a sleek black and white cat and made me think of the cats of Egypt.  It started out as Chleo but end up Chloe as she liked it better.

Splodge - Dad named her after the splodge on her front.

Bubble and Squeek - My Mum named them.

Smokey - a grey and white tortoise shell.

Some of my friends cats were called:

Chauncey - ment love
Megan - that was my suggestion that my friend thought suited her cat
Fluffy - after the huge dog - he was a Norweign Forest Cat.

With my dog we went through the baby book and found dog related names and just chose one from there.

Link to CatChat