Author Topic: Help educate about inhumane declawing - PawProject  (Read 5316 times)

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
Re: Help educate about inhumane declawing - PawProject
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2014, 19:37:50 PM »
Barbaric that's what it is. It also says a lot about our American cousins.  Disgraceful

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2014, 19:16:36 PM »

Awful isn't it  :'(

Utterly inhuman and inhumane  :(

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2014, 10:10:13 AM »
I have just looked up 'heart stick' as I had never heard of it before. I don't know whether I am more  >:( or  :'(

Awful isn't it  :'(
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2014, 11:32:59 AM »
I know we have a lot to answer for in this country but I was sad to find out recently how many stray dogs they have in America. I saw a story about a dog abandoned on a rubbish dump and I really thought it was in India until I actually read the story properly.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2014, 11:20:29 AM »
I have just looked up 'heart stick' as I had never heard of it before. I don't know whether I am more  >:( or  :'(

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2014, 09:45:53 AM »
Thanks Tan.  It beggars belief that US are so far behind the times  :(  It's shameful.

Really, you are shocked they are behind the times!?  This is a country that widely uses gas chambers and heart stick as "acceptable" forms of animal euthanasia and thinks cutting dogs vocal cords to stop them barking is OK.

In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 10:34:06 AM »
From all that I've read and seen on the internet, even in youtube vids, the US is becoming more aware that the rest of the world considers this practise cruel. I think the problem is that the American Veterinary Associations have dollar signs in their eyes rather than animal welfare. The proceedure must earn US vets lots of money, so it's in their interest to keep cat 'owners' ignorant of the real extent of the surgery and its possible consequences (such as increased biting and behavioural problems) and to make them think it's as routine as neutering.

I hope it won't be too long before the US public wake up to the reality.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 16:37:41 PM »
It beggars belief that US are so far behind the times  :(  It's shameful.

I agree, its quite strange. I do think that a lot of cat owners probably AREN'T made aware of what the procedure actually involves.

I am sure I read that a lot of declawed cats wont use a litter tray afterwards, thus making them more likely to be abandoned/ rehomed?

Thank goodness its not allowed in the UK, and hopefully the rest of the USA won't be long in changing their laws.....
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 10:59:13 AM »
How can a veterinary organisation try to stop a ban? It's beyond belief. I don't want to know what devocalization is  :censored: 

Glad to see the UK leading in some animal legislation although as it says it's never been popular here.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 08:36:34 AM »
Thanks Tan.  It beggars belief that US are so far behind the times  :(  It's shameful.

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
Help educate about inhumane declawing - PawProject
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 23:04:25 PM »
So very thankfully yes. It's USA that needs to stop.

Laws and policies governing onychectomy vary around the world. For example, many European countries prohibit or significantly restrict the practice, as do Australia, New Zealand, Japan, and Turkey. It is banned in at least 22 countries. The list below gives an overview of the situation in different parts of the world.

Australia
In Australia, declawing has never been common, and for all practical purpose, does not exist. Nationwide legislation was recently enacted that prohibits the declawing of cats except for medical need of the cat.[31] The Australian Veterinary Association's policy states: "Surgical alteration to the natural state of an animal is acceptable only if it is necessary for the health and welfare of the animal concerned. Performance of any surgical procedure for other than legitimate medical reasons is unacceptable."[32]

Brazil
In Brazil, declawing is not allowed by the Federal Council of Veterinary Medicine. [33]

Israel
In Israel, the Knesset Education Committee voted unanimously to send a bill banning the declawing of cats not for medical reasons. The bill has passed second and third readings on November 28, 2011, effectively making declawing a criminal offense with penalty of 1 year in prison or a fine of 75,000 Shekels.[34]

Europe
In many European countries the practice is forbidden either under the terms of the European Convention for the Protection of Pet Animals[35] or under Local Animal Abuse Laws, unless there it is for "veterinary medical reasons or for the benefit of any particular animal." Some European countries go further, such as Finland, Estonia,[36] the Netherlands, Germany and Switzerland,[37] where declawing cats for non-medical reasons is always illegal under their laws against cruelty to animals.

Austria
In Austria, the Federal Act on the Protection of Animals, in Section 7, states, surgical procedures "carried out for other than therapeutic or diagnostic purposes...are prohibited, in particular...declawing."[38]

United Kingdom
In the United Kingdom, declawing was outlawed by the Animal Welfare Act 2006, which explicitly prohibited "interference with the sensitive tissues or bone structure of the animal, otherwise than for the purposes of its medical treatment."[39] Even before the 2006 Act, however, declawing was extremely uncommon, to the extent that most people had never seen a declawed cat. The procedure was considered cruel by almost all British vets, who refused to perform it except on medical grounds. The Guide to Professional Conduct of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons stated that declawing was "only acceptable where, in the opinion of the veterinary surgeon, injury to the animal is likely to occur during normal activity. It is not acceptable if carried out for the convenience of the owner ... the removal of claws, particularly those which are weight bearing, to preclude damage to furnishings is not acceptable."[40]

United States
Declawing is legal in most U.S. jurisdictions. It is estimated that 25% of owned cats in the United States are declawed (Patronek 2001).

Declawing was outlawed in West Hollywood, California, in 2003, the first such ban in the US.[41] The ordinance was authored by West Hollywood Councilmember John Duran and sponsored by The Paw Project, a non-profit organization started by Dr. Jennifer Conrad based in Santa Monica, CA.[42] The California Veterinary Medical Association challenged the law in court.[43] The CVMA maintained that West Hollywood had overstepped its municipal authority by enacting an ordinance that infringed on licensed professionals’ state-granted rights. It did not directly address declawing as an animal welfare issue. The CVMA initially prevailed in Superior Court, but in June 2007, the California Court of Appeal overturned the lower court ruling, thus reinstating the law banning declawing in West Hollywood.[44]

In 2004, California became the first state in the USA to enact a statewide ban on the declawing of wild and exotic cats. The bill was introduced by California Assemblymember Paul Koretz and sponsored by the Paw Project.[45]

In 2006, the United States Department of Agriculture enacted a ban on declawing of all wild and exotic animals held by USDA-licensed owners.[46]

In April 2007, the city of Norfolk, Virginia outlawed declawing by persons other than veterinarians (Municipal Code Sec. 6.1-78.1).[47]

In 2009, the California state legislature approved a measure, sponsored by the California Veterinary Medical Association (CVMA), intended to stop other cities from passing bans similar to West Hollywood's.[48] By including in the bill all professions licensed by the state Department of Consumer Affairs, the CVMA got the bill pushed through, and it was signed by the Governor in July, 2009. However, the bill's effective date, January 1, 2010, provided enough time so that seven more California cities passed local bans against the declawing of domestic cats: Los Angeles, San Francisco, Burbank, Santa Monica, Berkeley, Beverly Hills, and Culver City.[49]

In 2012, a California bill, authored by Senator Fran Pavley and sponsored by the Paw Project, was signed into law that prohibits landlords from requiring declawing and devocalization of animals as a condition of tenancy [1]. In 2013, the state of Rhode Island enacted a law, similar to the California law, [2] prohibiting landlords from requiring declawing as a condition of occupancy.

Ethical viewpoints on declawing in the US
Declawing is widely practiced but ethically controversial within the American veterinary community.[2] Some American and Canadian veterinarians endorse the procedure, while some have criticized and refused to perform it.[50] Two animal protection organizations in the US, the Humane Society of the United States and the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, discourage the procedure.[51] The Humane Society of the United States has supported legislation banning or restricting declawing.[52] Opposition to attempts to ban or restrict declawing has come from veterinary trade organizations, such as the California Veterinary Medical Association. On the other hand, the American Veterinary Medical Association states that declawing "should be considered only after attempts have been made to prevent the cat from using its claws destructively or when its clawing presents a zoonotic risk for its owner(s)."[53] Surveys suggest that 95% of declaw surgeries are done to protect furniture.[54]

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 22:17:32 PM »
I understand it is illegal in UK thank heavens unless strictly necessary for medical reasons.  Tell me I'm right  :scared:

I think you are right - I certainly hope so!

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 22:02:58 PM »
I understand it is illegal in UK thank heavens unless strictly necessary for medical reasons.  Tell me I'm right  :scared:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 16:55:51 PM »
thanks for this Tan, I hadn't realised that de-clawing involves amputating the terminal phalanx  :( I can't understand why any vet would be prepared to carry out such a procedure when they are supposed to have animals' best interests at heart  >:(

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
Help educate about inhumane declawing - PawProject
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 12:21:42 PM »
The Paw Project - Working to end the inhumane practice of declawing through education and legislation. 
THE PAW PROJECT's mission is to educate the public about the painful and crippling effects of cat declawing, to promote animal welfare by ending the practice of declaw surgery, and to rehabilitate declawed cats.
Info: www.pawproject.org

Join and share the facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/pawproject

Help educate about declawing by watching and sharing the inspiring film.
The Paw Project Movie - Official Trailer - http://youtu.be/Qw8OJN4ctyo
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Qw8OJN4ctyo" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Qw8OJN4ctyo</a>

The Paw Project Film is now on demand! The PawProject is now available on Netflix!
http://goo.gl/Q1rfzM

About the film
In the United States today, six out of ten pet owners consider their pets to be family members. Today, 36,117,000 households have a pet cat in the home. (" U.S. Pet Ownership Statistics." U.S. Pet Ownership Statistics. N.p., n.d. Web. 22 July 2011.) Currently, approximately 25% of these cats are declawed. While cat owners are unaware of the true nature of this surgery. They are never told that it is an amputation of the last toe bones in a cat’s paw; and it actually does more harm than good.

THE PAW PROJECT is a documentary that takes us inside the issue. Sharing testimony from industry professionals and pet-owners alike, THE PAW PROJECT examines the emotional and physical cost that a cat pays when declawed; and reveals the profit that the procedure generates for veterinary doctors across the nation. Despite the physical and behavioral harm inflicted on cats that are declawed, many veterinarians continue to recommend the procedure, which costs upwards of $900.00 per hour – even for very young kittens.

Veterinarian Dr. Jennifer Conrad wants it stop. While it often puts her at odds with many in her professional field, she continues to lead the struggle. Step by step, the film follows Conrad as she refutes arguments from representatives of the California Veterinary Medical Association (CVMA), and the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA), all in her effort to protect the well being of these felines. THE PAW PROJECT chronicles her journey from her work as an exotic animal veterinarian in Hollywood to legislative hearings, where she urges elected officials to ban declawing.

THE PAW PROJECT MOVIE IS NOW AVAILABLE ON DEMAND AND ON DVD. SEE THE FILM AND JOIN THE MOVEMENT TODAY!
See it online (rent or buy) at:
iTunes
Amazon Instant Video
Google Play
YouTube
The Paw Project is supported by private donations. The tax-deductible contributions are used for costs of surgical facilities and supplies, educational programs, and anti-declawing efforts.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 12:27:49 PM by Tan »

Link to CatChat