Author Topic: My cat keeps bringing in birds...  (Read 1330 times)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
Re: My cat keeps bringing in birds...
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 09:33:09 AM »
I do sympathise but there is little that can be done to prevent an outdoor cat doing this  :(  I don't think it's anything to do with his previous background.  We have had a particularly bad couple of months here.  Little mouse the other night but mainly it's been birds.  Both fledgling and nestling.  It's that time of year  :(

The nestlings upset a great deal more as they are so vulnerable.  We brought one that survived overnight to a rescue and a fledgling to RSPCA hospital.  Apparently the advice with nestlings is not to return to the nest in case you disturb other nestlings.  You can feed mushed up cat food (cut up worms not good for nestlings) but it is a time intensive business and much better to find a local wildlife centre of RSPCA to assist.

:hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: My cat keeps bringing in birds...
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 09:22:08 AM »
they are just hard wired to do it I'm afraid mine only tend to catch stuff in the summer

Offline Stezzle

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Licky, Fudge, Sugar, Candy (RIP Miss C)
My cat keeps bringing in birds...
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 20:05:34 PM »
My cat Fudge was a lost cat which we took inm he was 6months at the time. Anyways he is now 1year older and he has brought in 3 birds in 2 weeks. One of which was a new born. Ive searchsd the area to see if we could find a nest and had no luck. Fudge has worn a collar since we got him but somehow still gets birds. He only brings in birds. I was looking for some advice and ideas of ways to stop him doing it or is it just a phase with him being young and it summer. Fudge has been done. I understand its his natural way but its getting too much.

Link to CatChat