Author Topic: New kittens - blood found in stools in litter tray  (Read 2041 times)

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
Re: New kittens - blood found in stools in litter tray
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 20:54:36 PM »
Great update, hope normal service continues  :)

Offline tom_tom

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Zeus & Phoebe
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2014, 21:54:11 PM »
Hi Everyone thanks for all your replies and the kind words!

Rang the vet 1st thing and they seemed to think if they are otherwise fine and healthy it may possibly be down to the change of diet which we did yesterday.. she said this can irritate their little tums eg like a human baby on baby food then having some ice cream?
So back to some cooked chicken as recomended by the vet, and the good news is it seems "normal service" seems to have resumed today :) However they recomended to give them another ring in toomorrow with an update...
Regards 
Tom

ps will get some pix of the two tiny terrors up soon

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 11:50:51 AM »
It could be something as simple as worms.  Kittens get them from their mother so if they haven't already been adequately treated then they could have a heavy load.  Are the stools otherwise normal or they soft because they're often soft with worms.  Well worth talking to the vet about  it but I wouldn't worry overmuch at this stage if they're otherwise behaving normally.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 10:12:42 AM »
Same advice from me, kittens this young may have brought infections with them from their previous home, so best to separate them again from the older ones at least until you have a diagnosis. Keep one of the bloody stools to show the vet and it will help him choose which tests need to be done.

Mostly this will be down to an infection or intolerance (treats are a bit advanced for tiny tums) so stick with the food they are used to and plain water, certainly no dairy products.

Good luck at the vet.  :hug:

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 09:32:21 AM »
Obviously you should take to them to the vets, but it sounds like it may be colitis. One of my boys has a bit of a sensitive tum and I have found that even a couple of treats can be enough to get a bit of blood in the stools. I would not feed them treats or have any additions in their water for the time being.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 07:32:15 AM »
Hi Tom

Difficult to say what may have caused this, but it's definitely one for the vet, methinks.  It's good that you've made a note of the routine - take this to the vet when you go, as it may help him/her identify the problem. 

Do you have piccies of your babies?  Not for the vet, just for us  ;D

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 01:25:34 AM »
Can only suggest the vet as you are going to do..............hope all is well

Offline tom_tom

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Zeus & Phoebe
New kittens - blood found in stools in litter tray
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 00:53:02 AM »
Hi Folks

Any help or advice greatly appreciated!
I have just now performed the nightly litter tray clean, and have noticed blood in some of the stools in the tray  :(
We received two kittens last Saturday at 9 wks old and generally they have been seperated from our othe two 1 year olds.
Their 1st visit to the vets on wed reported they were in good health with no issues...
If I recall correctly tray routines have been normal until today, the only differences today are:
- this was the first day we introdued them to the older ones for a short time, there was a bit of hissing and the old hit out which we expected.
- they had a few treats (felix goody bag, some a few dreamies, and a bit of a webbox cats delight stick treat) and a drink of the older cats water which contains the liquid oral care addative
- they seemed to tolerate each other quite well and today was the first day they have all 4 had a  bit of a play together.

I'm not sure which of the two it was yet but one of them (Hades) had a wee after I cleaned the tray and that looked normal

I will obviously ring our vet in the morning but just hoping someone may have an idea of what this may be, or can offer some advice please?

Thanks in advance

Regards

Tom

Link to CatChat