Author Topic: flea/worm treatment and indoor cats  (Read 1999 times)

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
Re: flea/worm treatment and indoor cats
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 00:05:05 AM »
As your daughter is allergic to cat fleas, I'd treat the cats monthly in the summer and every two months in the winter. I remember the days of the old flea sprays which had to be used every three to four days! And they didn't work; more toxic than modern treatments too.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline CuteCats

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 12:30:50 PM »
I've used treatments less and less over the years on the indoor girls.  I think monthly is too often for these chemicals.

Offline girlinleeds

• Senior Cat
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 21:40:53 PM »
I use Advantage, and I order it from Medic Animal. Works out about £2.50 a cat. A lot less than a poorly sore cat. :)

Our stronghold is costing about £6 per cat/ per month at the moment from the vet will look at the advantage thanks

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Charlie, Poppy, Wordy and Ollie. RIP Bridge Baby Harry. x
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 17:12:59 PM »
I only usually treat my indoor cats in the spring/summer, but with I have treated them more regularly since we got Ollie indoor last year, as he had fleas and Poppy has a flea allergy.  Also next doors long haired cat comes in as well, and I don't know if she gets treated, we keep and eye on her coat, but we can't treat her. (difficult situation with next door and their cat).

I use Advantage, and I order it from Medic Animal. Works out about £2.50 a cat. A lot less than a poorly sore cat. :)

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 10:22:49 AM »
I have treated mine differently every year. The first year they didn't have any fleas as were treated by the rescue when I adopted them. So I didn't treat them at all. Last year they started scratching so I gave them one treatment of avantage. They seemed fine after that. This year they were treated last month and are now scratching again so I'm going to treat them again. I just play it by ear. Of course it's a bit different for you as your daughter is allergic to the bites. Although I think I'm pretty good at checking them with a flea comb and knowing when they have fleas.

When I had cats that went outdoors I still only treated them in the summer. I just don't like the idea of the chemicals but I know that fleas can be worse. This worked out very well for me. 

Offline girlinleeds

• Senior Cat
flea/worm treatment and indoor cats
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 20:40:03 PM »
Bella and Jess are indoor cats and we've been treating the with stronghold every month, me and dh were discussing if its necessary with them being indoor cats. I think they need treating over summer but maybe not over winter hes trying to convince me they dont need treating anymore. I'm very cautious as our dd has allergies and when barney got fleas, dd got bit and she would swell up (she got bit on her forearm and an area the size of my hand swelled up,she was only just three at the time so a massive area for her size) so i think shes very allergic to fleas so dread the cats getting them. what do you think, what do people with house cats do??

Link to CatChat