Author Topic: Introducing Mojo and Lola!  (Read 6390 times)

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
Re: Introducing Mojo and Lola!
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2014, 17:46:48 PM »

Are  you still having a dual play session with them, with a flying toy, and if you are, does Mojo seem more interested in her or the toy?  It sounds like it's something you'll have to work extra hard at (a pain when you may be feeling tired or anxious yourself  :hug: but definitely worth persevering with)

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2014, 17:30:47 PM »
Is the Feliway seeming to help? If not, it might be worth trying the Pet Remedy instead - it's cheaper than the Feliway, so that's one good thing!

It really is still very early days, don't give up hope.

Offline Rachel28988

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Mojo & Lola
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2014, 17:06:21 PM »
Hello all - an update for you.

Things are still much the same, cats will eat together and ignore each other for a short space of time if distracted. But within a few minutes it ends up in a chase and little Lola getting cornered and bitten. She does instigate quite a few of the fights herself mind.

There's no hissing or growling from the older cat so I'm sure he just wants to play too but is too rough. Just starting to lose hope that he'll ever calm down! I feel bad still having the kitten separated in another room for most of the day.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2014, 13:48:09 PM »
The art of introductions is slow and sometimes very slow, not days not weeks but sometimes months!

A cat who has had her own space for a time thinks it belongs to them. another cat is an intruder.

Usually if both cats are young they get on well or tollerate each other quite quick but sometimes an energetic yoiung kitten has no fear and the older resident cat gets scared of there over the topness.

Offline Rachel28988

• Kitten
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2014, 13:30:25 PM »
True, maybe I'm just going too fast. I'm just a bit stressed because I've had 2 weeks off work with the cats and was maybe a bit too optimistic in thinking they'd be friends by next week. I don't want to have to go to work and leave Lola shut in the spare room for most of the day.

I'll withhold squirty for now  :-[

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2014, 13:26:17 PM »
please don't squirt him, I tried it myself and they end up wondering why you hate them - it is really early days don't loose heart

Offline Rachel28988

• Kitten
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2014, 13:12:52 PM »
Hiya - no improvement as of yet :(

I've managed to feed them in the same room but if anything we've gone backwards - think Lola is now scared of Mojo and runs under the settee whenever she sees him and tries to get back to her den. I've tried playing with Mojo until he's tired and trying to distract him with toys but as soon as Lola enters the room all eyes are on her. My next idea is to enlist the help of a squirty bottle to stop Mojo when he gets too wound up as that's the only thing 'devil cat' reacts too

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2014, 13:42:05 PM »

I dont think he's stressed.  I think he's mega excited, but it's important that he doesnt begin viewing Lola as "prey"

The plug ins may well help to calm him down a level, and the interactive play with the wand toy or a laser pen will hopefully not only wear him out, but distract him from seeing Lola as his personal toy.

Offline Rachel28988

• Kitten
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2014, 13:38:55 PM »
Okay thanks I will do - I bought some stress relieving drops I can put in his food too. Tbh he doesn't seem that stressed just gets too wound up. Think we need to try and tire him out before future introductions.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2014, 13:36:53 PM »

If Feliway doesnt seem to calm me laddo down, you could also try Pet remedy - it's a similar type of thing, but some cats respond better to one type of plug in and some to another.

Offline Rachel28988

• Kitten
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2014, 13:28:30 PM »
Thanks I'll try that, I've bought feliway diffuser and spray as well, hope that helps.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2014, 12:17:47 PM »

Rachel, I wonder if the better way to hold their interactive sessions for now will be purely with the wand toy initially?  You may even need to get two, and play with one of them in one area and one in another area at the same time - sounds like Mojo needs to get himself really tired out in order to stop him picking on Lola.

Offline Rachel28988

• Kitten
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2014, 11:54:37 AM »
Put them together again this morning and they started off playful fighting but again went too far, to the point little Lola was screaming and Mojo wouldn't get off her and stop biting her I had to grab him and take him to another room, I'm sure I saw some fur flying too. Will this ever get better????   :(

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2014, 06:48:35 AM »

Am loving all of these photographs.   ;D ;D

Offline Rachel28988

• Kitten
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2014, 21:35:37 PM »
Yes I agree  :thanks:

He definitely doesn't have any manners!

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2014, 21:34:10 PM »
It's possible that Mojo didn't have a mummy to teach him his manners, that's why I was asking about his background.

Offline Rachel28988

• Kitten
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2014, 20:51:52 PM »
Oh my gosh! What beautiful markings he has! Can see why you couldn't resist him ;)

Aw I feel for you, Mojo is also a devil cat - was part of my reason for getting a kitten to try and use up some of his energy xxx

Offline MrsPurrfect

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: George, Milly and Ollie
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2014, 20:29:05 PM »
The pics are great.  I really like the one of Lola peeking out from under the settee and Mojo lying in wait  :rofl:

I didn't notice much of a size difference with George and Milly but when we got a third addition to the family about a year and a half ago it noticeable then.  Not just the size but the weight.  Milly, who's a little fatty, felt like a ton weight after I'd been paying with Ollie.

Here's a pic of Ollie when he was a little furball and before he turned into Devil Cat  :)

Offline Rachel28988

• Kitten
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2014, 20:13:14 PM »
Aww George and Milly are beautiful!!!  :Luv2: I hope mine get there one day!

I used to think Mojo was a small cat, but seeing him with Lola he seems like a huge monster!! Haha. I know he's just being bossy but its hard to not intervene when she's crying out... otherwise she'd spend the entire day hid under the sofa! fingers crossed they'll calm down soon. Here's some pics from today....   :innocent:

Offline MrsPurrfect

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: George, Milly and Ollie
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2014, 19:51:45 PM »
Hi ya

Sounds like things are going great.  I got George and then got Milly about one month after, so there wasn't a massive difference in size.  George did the same thing, pinning Millie down.  It was really just playing though and I left them to sort it out and if things looked as if they were getting a bit too rough I would just say "George" in a firm tone and he learned he had to stop.  The are now totally inseparable and love each other to bits.

It sounds as if it won't be long before you two beautficul furbabies will be doing the same.  Keep the pics coming

Offline Rachel28988

• Kitten
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2014, 18:49:15 PM »
Hiya, my boy was rescued from an air vent with three other kittens but no mum. Looking back, think he was too young when we got him as well.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2014, 18:35:21 PM »
Hi and  :welcome: your babies are gawjus!  :Luv2:

Please forgive my bad memory. I know that someone said their resident cat had not been brought up with other kittens. Was that you (apologies if not!)?

Offline Rachel28988

• Kitten
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2014, 13:01:13 PM »
Hiya! Yes he is neutered - and I'll be getting her done as soon as she's old enough, just in case.

I've tried distracting them, Lola is happy to play - but can barely get Mojo to take his eyes off Lola - he's only interested in pouncing on her! She spends most of the time being stared out from under the sofa.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2014, 12:00:08 PM »
Hi Rachel and a belated  :welcome: to you, Mojo and baby Lola  :)

Gorgeous little devils you have there  :Luv2: :Luv2:

Can I assume Mojo is neutered?  Thought I would ask just in case  :shify:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2014, 11:39:12 AM »

I would try to keep them both distracted so that playtime is for both of them to enjoy - best way we found of doing that is either with a flying frenzy or Da Bird type of wand based toy.  Sounds like Lola is a game little girl, and Mojo just doesnt know his own strength as yet.  Young cats are generally pretty good at letting each other know when things are getting a bit rough. 

Tinks and Ross used to have some very boisterous play sessions, and Tinks would often make the most noise but was usually the one who would silently stick the boot in when he thought no-one was looking.  ;)

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2014, 11:17:39 AM »
I am sure it won't be long before it sounds like you have a herd of elephants running around and they are taking it in turns to chase each other  :evillaugh: The main thing is their time together is closely supervised for now and that Lola has somewhere safe she can escape to, maybe an upturned cardboard box or two with small holes in. It is natural for kittens to play quite roughly, a few hisses, swipes and even the odd squeak are to be expected, they need to learn and respect each others signals, obviously if it turns nasty or one of them appears to be distressed they should be separated or maybe a verbal cue from you that things are going too far may be enough. Even now I have to tell my boys 'nicely' now and again which is usually enough to let them know one/both is going a bit too far and it's been a few years since they were kittens.

Offline Rachel28988

• Kitten
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2014, 10:15:37 AM »
She does keep coming back for more so I think she does enjoy it - but he does go too far when he gets wound up and won't leave her alone. Fingers crossed they'll find a happy medium soon! For now I'm still keeping them mostly separated and having a couple of supervised encounters a day.

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2014, 10:05:17 AM »
 :welcome: what lovely cats, Mojo looks much like my cat Algie  :Luv2: and Lola....well who could resist a beautiful face like that  :Luv: Hope the meetings continue to go well, it sounds like Mojo is liking having a playmate around even if he is a bit boisterous for the little one :) I am sure Lola will soon be putting him in his place  :evillaugh:

Offline Rachel28988

• Kitten
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2014, 09:17:51 AM »
Right, I introduced them another couple times yesterday and everytime ended up with Mojo chasing her and pinning her down, and a lot of hissing and trying to hide from Lola :( I know it's just playfulness coming from Mojo and he doesn't know his own strength but how will he learn? I've read things that say you should just leave them to it and she'll cry out if she's really hurt but it's hard to not to intervene when she's hissing and trying to runaway and hide. I don't want her to get hurt and Mojo just seems to see her as the best toy ever!

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 13:54:46 PM »
 :welcome: and good luck with Mojo and the baby  ;D

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 13:52:25 PM »

Well that's not a bad start.   :)  Sounds like she was just telling him not to play too rough, cos she's only little.   :-:  I dare say she'll be bossing him round for life now...... that's girls for ya.   ;) :evillaugh:

Offline Rachel28988

• Kitten
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 13:06:29 PM »
Took a big step today and put them together. Everything went great to begin with, sniffing each other a bit of playing. Then mojo forgot his own strength and chased the little one a bit - there was a lot more hissing on her part! So she's back in her safe spot for now but might introduce them again later. I'm relieved to think we are actually getting there, even if it is slowly!  :shy:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 13:01:21 PM »
Oh lovely to see your babies!!!  They're both gorgeous - love how chilled out Mojo looks.   ;D. Hoe have things been between them today?

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 10:46:03 AM »
They're both gorgeous and cheeky looking! Lola reminds me of my last cat, Jones - he looked exactly the same at that age. :Luv2:
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline Rachel28988

• Kitten
Introducing Mojo and Lola!
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 21:05:18 PM »
Hi guys, I'm new here!
I've got a 9 month old boy named Mojo and just last week got an 11 week old girl named Lola.
It was definitely NOT love at first sight! - But fingers crossed with all you guys help and support we can get them to be best of buds soon :-)

xxx

« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 21:05:58 PM by Rachel28988 »

Link to CatChat