Author Topic: Ant problem- what is safe to use?  (Read 3373 times)

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
Re: Ant problem- what is safe to use?
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2014, 12:42:32 PM »
There could be a book and an epic mini series to follow - "Game of Drones....."    :evillaugh:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2014, 12:32:23 PM »

Am gonna get mine to knock me up some flat pack furniture.   ;)

:rofl:

I reckon there is even more mileage to be had yet from the carpenter ants  :naughty:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2014, 09:22:18 AM »

Am gonna get mine to knock me up some flat pack furniture.   ;)

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2014, 09:20:45 AM »
At my last house I had a very short lived invasion of ants. I like spiders, and was always rescuing them from the bath. They repaid me by eating the ants! I found that the ants had turned into empty shells (like rice crispies) and the spiders had sucked out the inside. I just cleaned up the dead remains.

So my advice would be to encourage spiders to the area where the ants are. Maybe go round your garden and catch a few spiders then offer them a meal of ants.  :evillaugh:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2014, 08:14:08 AM »
 :shy: :shy:

Offline lau200

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Moustache, the Flick and Hairy Pants!
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2014, 08:13:19 AM »
Mind you, I dont think ours will be carpenter ants - for one thing, I didnt see any of them with a little pencil stuck behind their ear.   ;)
:rofl: :rofl:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2014, 07:07:11 AM »
We used to have a big ant problem where I used to work, even worse for those few weeks in the summer when the dratted wings sprouted wings*! Nothing worse than arriving in the morning and finding your consulting room carpetted with ants  :sick: !

* Yes, I know it didn't happen exactly like that, but that was how it seemed.

:doh: :doh:   No, I can imagine.......

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2014, 15:20:46 PM »
We used to have a big ant problem where I used to work, even worse for those few weeks in the summer when the dratted wings sprouted wings*! Nothing worse than arriving in the morning and finding your consulting room carpetted with ants  :sick: !

* Yes, I know it didn't happen exactly like that, but that was how it seemed.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 07:46:58 AM »
I like ants in theory but not when my kitchen floor is black with them!  I have had major problems with ants over the years but thankfully they seem to have packed their bags and moved on as I've not had much of the problem for the past few years.  I used to buy those little ant traps (bait stations I think they are called) - you can get ones that you put your own bait in or ones that come ready baited.  They have tiny holes for the ants to crawl in but a pet or child couldn't get a finger in or anything like that.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 06:57:18 AM »

Hmmmmm........  Extract from Sam's link:

"....And if you're really unlucky, you might have the carpenter ant, an ant insistent on destroying the wood that holds up your house, so get professional help fast in that case!"

Thanks Sam!   :evillaugh: :evillaugh:  Mind you, I dont think ours will be carpenter ants - for one thing, I didnt see any of them with a little pencil stuck behind their ear.   ;)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 21:09:03 PM »
My hubby has been talking about pouring boiling water down the nest outside but i said i felt cruel :scared: i have read that they dont like talc so i have poured some johnsons around where i suspect they are coming in.... We will just have to see! Its the time of year i guess

I know what you mean Lau.  Our "pest control" measures consisted of sweeping them off with a soft brush.   :innocent: :shy:  I quite like ants.  They're very industrious.   :hug:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 14:52:24 PM »
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline lau200

• Hero Cat
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 14:26:23 PM »
Will try that, thanks Gill

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 13:15:54 PM »
They wont cross a chalk line! so draw one between the nest and your place so they will go back

Offline lau200

• Hero Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 13:05:31 PM »
My hubby has been talking about pouring boiling water down the nest outside but i said i felt cruel :scared: i have read that they dont like talc so i have poured some johnsons around where i suspect they are coming in.... We will just have to see! Its the time of year i guess

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 11:25:00 AM »

Cant believe you've just posted this Lau - we've just been raking out some rotten wood on a post upright that we needed to fill, and to our amazement it was home to a nest of tiny ants.   :shify:  We've had to turf them out.  Thankfully though, we havent had an ant problem in the house.  I've heard that the traditional method for killing off ant nests safely was to pour boiling water into the exit holes.   :doh: :doh:

You can also buy sticky strips which you can put on threshholds and carpet edges, but I'd be less happy using those where children and pets play, just to be on the safe side. 

Offline lau200

• Hero Cat
Ant problem- what is safe to use?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 08:00:30 AM »
There is an ant nest in the pavement outside our terrace house and now they have started to come indoors. We are trying to minimise anything that would attract them but with two babies, two cats and a rabbit running loose in the house there is only so much we can do. We need something that is safe for kids and pets as we cannot keep either away from the area where i have seen the ants. Any ideas?

Link to CatChat