Author Topic: Quick thyroid advice!  (Read 7394 times)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
Re: Quick thyroid advice!
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2014, 09:54:06 AM »
Isn't it just great when they associate pills with treats  ;D  Some years ago our Gandolf needed a little blue painkiller pill daily (pre metacam days) but we used to also give him a little dried food fish shaped bit of kibble that he use to adore (can no longer source them).  He used to gobble up his pill in readiness for his treat immediately after  :)

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Paws, Dopey, Chubby, Moses & Minty. All in a better place and never forgotten. We'll meet again and be happy together again.
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2014, 09:35:28 AM »
Great to hear things are looking more positive  :wow:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2014, 08:09:15 AM »
Max used to love that then I ran out of the stuff and only had M & S Tuna pate so he got the tablet in that and 18 months down the line him and kali kitten eat a tub of it themselves a week and I can't stand the stuff anymore :shocked: :rofl:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2014, 23:53:15 PM »
Beau is loving his Felimazole wrapped in Shiphams paste! The flavour is immaterial to him although I prefer the chicken over the fish cos it doesn't make my fingers stink  :sick:

This beats pill popping every time and would be well worth a try, at only 35p a pot which lasts a whole week? What's not to like?

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2014, 22:35:12 PM »
thats great news, glad he is feeling better and putting on weight ;D

Offline Stezzle

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Licky, Fudge, Sugar, Candy (RIP Miss C)
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2014, 14:34:13 PM »
I know its been a while but just wanted to give you a little up date on Liquorice. He weighing in at 3.2kgs now and still eating 4 meals a day. By his own choice he is a garden cat and likes to sunbath on the chair. We are all very happy. Xxx

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2014, 14:58:21 PM »
for the six weeks before he had the radioactive iodine treatment, I gave Trigger 2 Felimazole tablets each day, and he never showed any sign of a reaction to them, so here's hoping your cats will be fine too
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Stezzle

• Adult Cat
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2014, 14:47:55 PM »
How is the nausea, Stezzle? One of mine has just been diagnosed HT and is on Felimazole to start, I'm giving him 2 doses at 12 hour intervals. Did your vet say to split the Vidalta dosage?

Sending huge cuddles and more vibes to Licky and hope he's really turned it around.  :hug: :hug:

Hi Sheila. Licky has done nothing but eat today. He was sick the first two days and lucky no tablets came back up. He said if he was bring them up to split over two doses a day but licky is coping well on the one. He use to take them in treats but at present shows no sign of interest in such food apart from sachets. We are using a pill popper since i nearly lost a finger. We would rather stress him out once aday then several over 24hours just for tablets. As long as your cat is getting the full dose over 24hours then it should not be a problem but with Vidalta it has to be given the same times every day.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2014, 08:34:14 AM »
How is the nausea, Stezzle? One of mine has just been diagnosed HT and is on Felimazole to start, I'm giving him 2 doses at 12 hour intervals. Did your vet say to split the Vidalta dosage?

Sending huge cuddles and more vibes to Licky and hope he's really turned it around.  :hug: :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2014, 22:24:19 PM »
So pleased he is doing well  ;D ;D

Offline Stezzle

• Adult Cat
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2014, 20:13:43 PM »
Got back from the vets and he is very impressed with Licky. He weighs 2.5kg which is a good increase from the 2.3kg. He looks better and more energy and life in his eyes. He is hydrated and going back in 2 weeks to his check up and bloods. Only got a whole kg to put back on. Licky is small for a male cat and averages at 3.5kg but he has a big personality.Thank you everyone for your support, well wishes and advice.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2014, 14:43:25 PM »
Its not bad for a 3 month period all things considered and also have a box of needles a month and Insulin for Miss Millie diabetic

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2014, 13:51:47 PM »
Crikey Liz, I think the vets should be paying you a loyalty bonus!

Clio, Licky and Stezzle  :hug:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2014, 11:24:00 AM »
Glad that he is fine, I am trying to get Clio feral stable again as my vets are happy to operate on her so that I am not having to stalk her to take tablets and think of new ways to hide them, she will be 16 years young in September

My MIL's cat had his thyroid removed at 18 with good results as well, have to say that Vitalda is expensive compared to felimezole just looked at the vets bill for March and scared myself as bills for the last 3 months are now in to 4 figures but have had 3 dentals, 3 spay and chips and the normal injections and bootster

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2014, 10:09:43 AM »
so pleased that licky is ok.  ;D ;D

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2014, 08:07:07 AM »

A lovely, positive post Stezzle.   :hug:  Paddy was diagnosed with Hyper-T shortly after he had a stroke, aged 15.  We had him for a further 5 years, and that was with the Hyper-T being largely untreated.  He was on felimazole initially but  was an absolute booga to medicate, and the vet decided it was more stressul for Padster to be subject to daily wranglings than it was to see how he progressed.  His condition was  monitored with our vet at regular two monthly intervals as he wasnt a suitable subject for surgery.

He led a very fulfilled life until his last four months, when he deteriorated considerably.    Here's to you having a while yet with Licky.   :)

Offline Stezzle

• Adult Cat
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2014, 07:59:34 AM »
Licky was on 15mg once a day before he stopped eating. He has diagnosed with thyroids two/three years ago.

Altho the main signs of thyroid is over eating and weight loss. Its also can be not eating as the disease progresses. My vet is excellent. His own cat has the condition so i trust him to do the right thing. Since upping his dosage he has ate two sachets yday and slowly increasing each day. Licky is due back the vets today (three days later) for a check up and to take more bloods.

Lickys thyroids are now at the later stages and therefore its very different in some ways to early stages. We are aware he is going blind in his right eye, this is due to his blood pressure which we were treating but as its progressed (thyroid) so does that.

Licky is doing great. He is up and runnig around, meowing and asking and eating food.

We know we arnt looking at years head for the dreded day but at least he can go the bridge on his terms. thyroids is a serious disease and its not going away. It will kill in the end no matter how many tablets you give them but at 16years old and him not slowing down, i am sure he has a uear or two left and i want him to enjoy this time which i think he is. Xxxx

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2014, 15:54:47 PM »
Our Clio is on 10mg in the morning and 15mg in the evening I try and give the tablets about 10 hours apart for that very reason - also Max my other Hyper T gets his Felimizole and Millie diabetic gets her injections around the same time

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2014, 14:14:39 PM »
Thank you all and hope that stezzle sees this and Lickyy is ok

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2014, 13:18:31 PM »
He is on 20mg of valita (2x 10mg) but its making him feel sick. I was wondering if anyone knew if i could give him one 10mg in morning and then one a bit later on. He is still having his 20mg in 24hours but its not so much on his stomach, as its still very sensitive?

This is NOAH link for Vidalta but you really should speak to your vet  :hug:

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/MSD_Animal_Health/Vidalta_10_mg_ACY-amp_ADs-_15_mg_prolonged-release_tablets_for_cats/-58685.html

Relevant bit to your question.....

Maintenance phase Follow-up visits every 3 to 6 months are recommended. The dose should be adjusted individually based on clinical signs and total thyroxin concentration (TT4). It is advisable to check TT4 10-14 days after dose adjustment. The therapeutic dose of Vidalta ranges between 10 mg (one 10 mg tablet) and 25 mg (one 10 mg tablet and one 15 mg tablet) once daily. Some cats require doses of less than 10 mg carbimazole daily. Every other day dosing with 10 mg or 15 mg of carbimazole may be sufficient to control the disease. Dose increases should not be made in increments of greater than 5 mg. Doses above 20 mg have only been trialled in a small number of cats and should be used with caution.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 13:19:26 PM by Rosella moggy »

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2014, 13:09:05 PM »
I don't know anything about hyper t but I hope Licky rallies.  If the meds are making him sick is there not another med for hyper t that he can try?

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2014, 13:05:17 PM »
This one is more recent Stezzle  :hug:

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,40429.msg782939.html#msg782939

What did Licky's blood results show?  I assume still very high thyroid results if on 20mg dose?

As he is so poorly and only weighs 2kgs, I would ring vet and seek his/her advice.  No point giving Vidalta if it is making him go off his food.  Vet will know whether maybe better to try Felimazole.

:hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2014, 12:24:58 PM »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2014, 12:13:45 PM »
Bumping this up, was hoping someone could help.

Hope Licky OK  :hug: :hug: :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2014, 23:16:15 PM »
There are a number of other threads about this drug so you need to do a search.......I am afraid I dont know anything about this except it has come up as a problem many times

Offline Stezzle

• Adult Cat
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2014, 22:38:09 PM »
He is on 20mg of valita (2x 10mg) but its making him feel sick. I was wondering if any one knew if i could give him one 10mg in morning and then one a bit later on. He is still having his 20mg in 24hours but its not so much on his stomach, as its still very sensitive?

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2014, 21:36:13 PM »
Waytogo Licky!

Offline Stezzle

• Adult Cat
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2014, 21:11:51 PM »
Licky is an incredible cat. He just keeps trying. We are not out of the woods but at least he has given us some to work for. I am sure the vet would happily keep him for himself as he said that Licky has an amazing temperment, beautiful and just an incredible cat. It made me so proud to hear. Just fingers crossed for some food in next 24hours. Thank you to everyone for the support and words of support. Even if he only lives another week then at least we have given him a chance. Xxxx

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2014, 21:04:57 PM »
My goodness that is great and sending more good vibes  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Stezzle

• Adult Cat
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2014, 21:03:53 PM »
Today has been a massive roller coaster because Licky is home!!!

The called and ask for me to pick Licky up as he can go home.

Got there and he said Licky has been following the vet round all afternoon, running round. His blood came in and his thyroids are unstable, massively so got to force two high dose tablets a day. Done first lot at vets and he is at least smelling food and meowing as normal. Hopefully over night or morning he will take the dip and eat. Xxx keep you up dated

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2014, 15:44:30 PM »
Stezzle and Licky  :hug: I have everything crossed for you  :crossed:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2014, 14:17:35 PM »
Sending huge vibes for licky   :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2014, 13:48:44 PM »
that is good news, hope the bloods are ok

Offline Stezzle

• Adult Cat
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2014, 11:45:37 AM »
The vets just phoned and told me that Licky has picked up and been doing really really well over night. Still no blood results but going to phone when they come in. They want to keep licky in over night again as he is responding well to the treatments they are giving him and going to try him on food. My Licky hasnt given up but they said he is still weak but bright eyed. Bless him soo much.

Offline Stezzle

• Adult Cat
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2014, 11:32:29 AM »
We are just waiting om bloods to see if there is a reason for his refusely of food. He is having water but not interested in food. He was fine on thursday and been the vets 4times since,  so its a shock at how fast it may come to this. I am going to get his paw print and have it tattooed on me. The vet has known licky since he was little and has cats of his own. Therefore he is upset but i asked him to personally do it and he said he will if we cant figure it out. If Licky hasnt given up then i wont pts until he has. Currently he is at the vets and as been over night to help him more. I just feel lost and i want him home but either way he is coming home. His twin sister Candy was torn apart by a dog 6 months so i think he is heart broken and wants to be with her. Xxxx

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2014, 23:03:44 PM »
So very sorry Stezzle and afraid 2kg is about as low as they can go, Ducha was about that and knew he had given up but its just so devastately heart breaking  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2014, 22:58:50 PM »
So very sorry to read this, Stezzle.  :hug: :hug:

It us the most valuable gift you can give, and at 2kilos he simply has no reserves left.  :(

Gods speed Licky.  :hug:

Offline Stezzle

• Adult Cat
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2014, 19:17:45 PM »
Hi guys.

we took Licky the vets as he started getting angry and we couldnt get anything in him. They are keeping him over night on a dripand we get his blood results back tomorrow too. We have decided that if they bloods give us no answers or they cant get him to eat that we will do the right thing and pts. He looks depressed, weighs 2kgs and i think he has given up. It kills me inside because he is my soulmate cat. He watchs me up for work, have our meals together and go sleep together but i have to consider his quality of life and his ending going forward. I dont know what else to do. The vet suggest its the best thing and at 16years old he has lived a long and happy life. He loved me as much as i loved him and forever that will be special. Xxxxx

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2014, 16:26:37 PM »
How is Licky today?

Offline cathycat

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Alfie
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2014, 02:05:57 AM »
Hope Licky continues to feel abit brighter. :hug:
Bridge cats Ellie,Harvey,Eddie,Charlie,
Miss you all so much. xx

Link to CatChat