Author Topic: Nandrolone - any experiences?  (Read 1467 times)

Offline poppysmum

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Mr Chips
Re: Nandrolone - any experiences?
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 17:37:03 PM »
Thanks Gill for your good wishes and Liz for your helpful advice. He's not so great today. Will decide re. the steroid after some more research I think and another chat with the vet. A friend has told me her experience of the drug is not positive - her dying cat (kidney failure) went completely ape after the injection, running around the house up and down stairs and generally going mad -  this was a 20 yr old cat and she feels it hastened his death. Anyway, will make up my mind by Monday. Thanks again.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 05:30:50 AM »
Have used the seteroid to some effect with one of our late ferals Miss gracie she had a mouth tumour and we also use Cpmplivet a food supplement to help as well 2 pumps a day is equal to a 4kg cats full day of calories it is palatable but I add some human tuna pate on top and mine wolf it down - I have 2 on it at the moment one is hyperthyroid and her numbers are all over the place again shenis nearly 16 and one of my youngsters who despite exhauastive tests we still have no idea whats wong with her but she was a very poorly 1.5kgs 12 weeks ago and is now a bounding 3kgs with her Complivets and Ronaxane tablets and is eating me out of house and home

Just love your baby for as long as you have neither the seteroid or the  Complivet will make them last forever just keep the appetite and calories going in xx
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 00:24:49 AM »
Sorry to hear about Mr Chips and hope he will have a painfree peacefull time ahead.  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Sorry cant help on the steroid.

Offline poppysmum

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Mr Chips
Nandrolone - any experiences?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 21:11:32 PM »
Hi all - am new here but am hoping for some advice re. my lovely old boy Mr Chips.  He's 14 yrs and was diagnosed with inoperable abdominal cancer a month ago. Vet said 'days' to live at the time - I was in total shock - but here we are 4 weeks down the line, 3 vet's opinions and two homeopathic remedies later and he's still with us ....... Now starting to lose his appetite a bit (everything else still OK apart from slight weight loss). Vet has suggested the steroid Nandrolone to stimulate his appetite and 'restore some muscle' but much as I want him to be as happy and comfortable as possible I have doubts about this drug as after some research on the net it seems to have variable success and possible adverse side effects in certain cats. He is not yet ready to go, I know it, and even though we may not have much longer I don't want to give him something that will make his last weeks unhappy or stressful . Grateful to hear of any experience others may have had with this drug.  :thanks:   

Link to CatChat