Author Topic: house cats  (Read 10834 times)

Offline maddercow

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Cash, Izzy and Scruffycat the stray.
Re: house cats
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2014, 19:18:50 PM »
A more primitive version of that is 'paper tunnels'.
Get some newspapers and open them, prop them on the floor with the point up (like a house roof) then do the same with another placed end to end with the first, like a long roof. Throw a catnip mouse into the created tunnel with words of encouragement, such as "Go get 'im" or "Mouse!".

Your cat should dive into the paper tunnel, hide from another cat, if you have one, and they'll start playing with eachother. You may have to keep rebuilding the tunnels.

Hee hee, you do indeed & have lots of papers to hand 'cos they get shredded! Messy but great fun.

Amazing the simple games that cats love, they are like kids, get them expensive toys & they prefer the boxes...ah, cardboard boxes & paper bags, yet more fun.

Another good cheap home made toy...get a large smarties tube..or Pringles etc, cut a few just larger than dreamie sized holes in it, put dreamies in & watch cat roll it around until dreamies come out..Empty or put it away at night or it will drive you insane!

X

« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 19:20:55 PM by jo.austin2010 »

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2014, 19:00:04 PM »
A more primitive version of that is 'paper tunnels'.
Get some newspapers and open them, prop them on the floor with the point up (like a house roof) then do the same with another placed end to end with the first, like a long roof. Throw a catnip mouse into the created tunnel with words of encouragement, such as "Go get 'im" or "Mouse!".

Your cat should dive into the paper tunnel, hide from another cat, if you have one, and they'll start playing with eachother. You may have to keep rebuilding the tunnels.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline maddercow

• Hero Cat
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2014, 18:46:30 PM »
Another thing I've just thought of that my cats really enjoy is putting a big throw or sheet over a chair. One with legs works the best. They will play for hours under it. I also put it over the cat tree to give them a bit of a change and they love hiding and playing underneath.

Ah yes, we call that 'playing forts' after that cute bit in Friends  when Joey & Chandler made a fort out of boxes! Throws & cushions strewn across the floor also make for fun & games, as does a duvet cover over the ironing board.....being ironed..totally irresistable to Cash & very annoying for me as I have to stop ironing until he has got bored & out of the cover.

How much fun is changing the sheets for cats as well? Takes me half an hour to do mine around the cats, they get all wrapped round the stuff coming off the bed, leap around on that, amush each other rom behind the pillows, then get under the clean bottom sheet, then scoot about & usually wrestle on top of it, they get under the duvet cover then IN the duvet cover...great fun to watch.

It can be pretty dodgy out there for cats, depends where you live of course, but the hazards are too many to list. Being run over is the least of them..there are some VERY nasty people around I am afraid.  I would love my two to go outside I really would but after the most heartrending experiences I made my decision. Wish you could meet my Iz & Cash, am so proud if them, they are full of energy & very active, it just takes a bit of time & imagination to enrich their lives, most of the cats I see outside are just laying about snoozing in the sun anyway, mine can still do that!

X

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2014, 10:52:53 AM »
Another thing I've just thought of that my cats really enjoy is putting a big throw or sheet over a chair. One with legs works the best. They will play for hours under it. I also put it over the cat tree to give them a bit of a change and they love hiding and playing underneath.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2014, 06:58:12 AM »

Hippykitty, am still hoping Fred and George will turn up safe and sound, but like you, my views on keeping cats in a secure environment is something which is changing - and like you, through bitter experience.  :hug: :hug:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2014, 20:37:48 PM »
HippyKitty  :hug:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2014, 19:01:08 PM »
I never forget Dreamies - Bonnie would never let me ;)

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline MrsPurrfect

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: George, Milly and Ollie
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2014, 17:22:34 PM »
I'm so glad my Bonnie is an indoor cat - no worries what so ever.

DREAMIES
Cat Grass
DREAMIES
Comfy bed, be it a human or cat one as they sleep more than anything else ;)
DREAMIES
Scratch post
DREAMIES
Toys that you know they like and will play with on their own when you are not able to join in
DREAMIES
Cat nip
DREAMIES

Mary

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: You forgot to mention the Dreamies Mary  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2014, 16:55:05 PM »
Having lost 3 cats in the last six months (Pebbles, at the old house, Fred and George at the new), I'm going to have the garden cat-proofed. They're ex-feral and wouldn't adapt to indoor only, but I don't want to lose another to some accident or nasty neighbour.

I'm still on the 'fence' regarding indoor only cats, but my perception of the outdoors as a safe place for cats is changing.
Strange, I kept indoor-outdoor cats from 1983 - Oct 2013 and only lost one to a freak accident in all that time. I had multiple cats for that period. The roads were much busier around the old house, but none of the cats (not really sure what happened to Pebbles) to my knowledge were involved in an RTA.

So it's cat proofing for me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZYLwlfK7S8

I know, she's a breeder, but the fencing looks great.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 21:04:15 PM by Hippykitty »
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline maddercow

• Hero Cat
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2014, 12:47:15 PM »
Hi girl in leeds,

I too had to make the indoor or outdoor decision and it took a bit of heartsearching. We had had a spate of cat disappearances in the village plus losing a cat on the road..that really made the decision for me. Cash had never been out but when we got Izzy from rescue she had been an outdoor cat (she was only a year old). She took to being indoors no problem surprisingly, possibly helped by being in a cage in rescue for a month or so.

As everybody else has said, it needs a wee bit of money, time & effort but I firmly believe now that my cats are very happy, healthy, active and above all safe. Is just a case of setting aside a bit of time to play with them and because you have two they will spend alot of time duffing each other up as well.

Mine have a tree although they seem to have grown out of it a bit now. I am sure you have one already but Da Bird or Flying Frenzy
toys are fantastic, they really make them jump, leap..  wears them out.  The cat cubes are great too as is red dot laser toy if used carefully. I got a pack of 6 different herb sweeties in Purrs shop & they stimulates them, if only for a short while, the valerian drives Cash nuts. I also got mine a kids pop up tent from Wilkos, they LOVE it, is not practical to have up all the time but in short bursts it goes down well. The tunnels are fun too, again, not out all the time but every now and again.  All the small toys go in a wicker box with a lid that the cats can lift up themselves so sometimes we wake up to toys strewn all over the carpet but if it keeps them amused...!

Cats like to be high up so any shelves they can sit on high up will be welcome. I encourage mine to chase any flies in the house
(not the spiders though, I rescue those).  Cat grass, non toxic plants etc are also good to have to emulate the outdoors.  Mine LOVE wildlife programmes and snooker too, you can even get dvds for cats!

Best toy I ever got for my cats however is one of those cheap dressing up hoola skirts... sounds weird but hang it on the back of a chair & it provides hours of fun as they hide behind it, jump out at each other or da bird/frenzy and generally go mad kicking about under it.

I am sure your cats will be fine indoors, Jess won't know any different and it sounds as though Bella isn't that keen anyway. I can honestly say that, apart from during these beautiful spring days when I sometimes get a bit of a pang of guilt, I don't regret the decision to have indoor
cats.

Jo  X

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2014, 21:00:48 PM »
Cat tree ordered and on its way  ;D  The reviews warn that the assembly instructions are somewhat lacking, so that should be 'interesting'!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008HCJY7S/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
[/color]

OMG that is fantastic - a bottle of wine or some chocolate might come in handy for when you start putting it together ;)

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2014, 20:26:59 PM »
If I was a cat I would be getting very excited by that and the box it comes in. :yesss:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2014, 14:43:27 PM »
Cat tree ordered and on its way  ;D  The reviews warn that the assembly instructions are somewhat lacking, so that should be 'interesting'!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008HCJY7S/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2014, 23:07:59 PM »
that looks fab! but pets at home are usually over priced for stuff like that...

I would definitely look at zooplus or other sites first!
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline girlinleeds

• Senior Cat
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2014, 21:20:35 PM »
dh saw one in pets at home today he liked and i said you'd be able to get a much better one online he found this one and i may have promised the ladies it when i get paid  :naughty: http://www.amazon.co.uk/SCRATCHER-TREE-ACTIVITY-CENTRE-BEIGE/dp/B002L2BC70/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2EXUVVXTXPQHC&coliid=I1MHNLH2ZE5JAQ

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2014, 14:37:46 PM »
Thanks for the ideas guys. Unfortunately, I am not only totally inept when it comes to any DIY (I'm the kid who always managed to glue my finger to my nose in craft sessions at school  :rofl: ), I'm also physically incapable of doing much of it. Mr S has no interest in providing cat toys, so I think I will have to put my hand in my pocket  :)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 14:39:16 PM by Slugsta, Reason: typo »

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2014, 12:55:35 PM »
Purdybear - I've been eyeing that one on Amazon for months, but they also do it in beige at Zooplus.....  :Luv:

On an American site, I also found one that attaches to your doors (a bit like those things you put over the top of a door with hooks on for bathrobes and towels and stuff, but with cat platforms, floor to top instead.)    Thought that was a great idea.

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2014, 11:51:10 AM »
This is one that has 2 large ragdoll cats on it with a review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih_VCOYhndo

Theres a lot of DIY videos on You Tube for how to make your own cat towers.  In my research on Amazon this one seemed to come out well, but as I've no cats at the moment I can't review it:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Leopet%C2%AE-KBD008-2blue-Scratching-Height/dp/B007K5NQ8G/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1396867704&sr=1-1&keywords=cat+tower

I think this is a review of the American version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wQ8JbOzetg

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2014, 10:12:35 AM »
Yes, love that pic!  :Luv2:

I got this one, its slimline compared a lot that widen at the base and is still sturdy when the cats jump on it.

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/scratching_posts/large/large_cat_trees_height_180_cm/84900

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2014, 23:50:22 PM »
Rosella you do realise that if you get a bigger scratch post with more shelves that you will have to get more cats to fill those shelves  :naughty: ;) :hug:

I love that pic and could look at it time and time again - a proper cat tree if ever I saw one  :Luv2: :hug:

Short on money you say, well if you are a bit handy you could get some pieces of wood and some off cut carpet pieces and some bobbins from a mill (don't ask me where LOL) and some rope to wrap around the bobbins and get building???

Good luck.

Mary

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2014, 20:37:09 PM »
Lovely photo! I promised Alfie a tree but don't really know what to get. He is a big lad so it can't be anything flimsy - but money is limited. Alfs doesn't seem to play on his own, he likes me to play with him but I can't always do so. I'd love to find something that he will play with on his own!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2014, 12:04:52 PM »
Never tire of seeing piccies of your glorious gang Rosella, and that cat tree is just purrfect!   :Luv:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2014, 09:49:11 AM »
I can hear the sighs of "oh no not that pic again" from some members  :evillaugh:

We got this cat tree from Kalven when Dinah, Millie Angel and Ruby first arrived in January 2009.  It doesn't have any flashy hidey holes or the like but it has certainly seen some action and is still going strong. Even though our cats are indoor/outdoor, it is quite simply the best money we have ever spent and loved by all (currently 7) of ours.  It is positioned right in front of French windows that give an excellent lookout for intruders and birds feed on pyrancantha berries nearby and nest in the beech hedge providing lots of entertainment.

Offline girlinleeds

• Senior Cat
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2014, 09:08:39 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions, at the moment have toys everywhere. Like the idea of putting them away at night in a box, do that with dd never thought to do it with the cats. Would love some suggestions for scratching posts/cat trees, seen as im not buying a new cat flap can use that money for fun stuff for them.  Have never seen either of them above waist height but thats were they spend most of there time either sofa back/windowsill/kitchen counter

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2014, 08:54:46 AM »
Mary mentioned cat grass, you can buy this in seed form as oat grass or as a pre packaged indoor garden. pets at Home do a good one.

Sue mentioned toy rotation, another fine idea. I've taken this a step further in that all George's toys go back in his toy box each night and then he's allowed to choose one each morning. When he gets fed up it goes back in the box and he's allowed to choose another. This keeps both him and Kuki entertained without cluttering the floor with dozens of toys.  ;)

The scratching post I just bought for Sly is also a huge hit  as is the one I won at Orcshun, so if you have tree dwellers I can fire in some recommendations.

Offline SamMewl

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
    • Yorkshire Cat Rescue
  • Slave to: gizmo, gingurr, nemo, mittens and brujo. always with me, leroy w murgatroyd
:) Please text CATS22 £5 to 70070 to feed a cat for a week :)

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2014, 08:18:58 AM »
I forgot to add that you can train your cats to walk in a harness if need be, and then take them out in the garden or for a walk if you don't have a high density of dog walkers around.

This video shows Lava, a cat that travels with his pet parent in a truck round the USA:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XchKg74eieU

He also goes by boat sometimes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpHsdx9ES80

And ferry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4awS4Ts1L-Q

I guess you could plan trips out if they did walk on harness, just like you would for yourselves, take them on picnics in a quiet space.  I feel just because they are indoor cats doesn't mean they can't have supervised outdoor time.

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 20:43:45 PM »
I'm so glad my Bonnie is an indoor cat - no worries what so ever.

DREAMIES
Cat Grass
DREAMIES
Comfy bed, be it a human or cat one as they sleep more than anything else ;)
DREAMIES
Scratch post
DREAMIES
Toys that you know they like and will play with on their own when you are not able to join in
DREAMIES
Cat nip
DREAMIES

Mary

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Charlie, Poppy, Wordy and Ollie. RIP Bridge Baby Harry. x
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 20:25:21 PM »
My 4 are only allowed into the enclosed garden when we are home, they aren't overly bothered.

They have lots of interactive play, it's good for them and me. They love the flying frenzies and we have got a few different attachment.

If people comment on them not going out I ask would you let the children out on their own?!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 19:50:28 PM »
It helps to put toys on a rotational basis too, so they dont get bored of the same old toys.  As Susanne said, variety is key to keeping them interested.  :)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 19:25:56 PM »
I think a good thing to do with indoor cats is to move things around so that environment is slightly varying and provides more stimulation.  I move cardboard boxes around so that one day they are in one corner of the room then the next they are at the other end etc.  just try to keep surprising them with new things.  I brought out the cat basket this morning in case I had to take Jaffa to the vet in a hurry and as it's not been out for a while Mosi is curled up in it at the moment!  Zooplus have some good toys to provide stimulation.

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 19:21:12 PM »
Jackson Galaxy recommends a few things on his programmes but first you need to find out whether your cat is a ground/bush/tree dweller.  That means to watch them whether they have paws on the ground,  on low furniture or high on the top of things.  Once you know this you can cater for their needs.  He suggests:

Cat shelving
Cat trees by windows so they can watch the birds outside
Scratching posts
Extra cat litter boxes where THEY want to go.
Toys toys and more toys and to play before you go to bed to ware them out.

If you do have an outside area have you thought of making an enclosure,  it could be as small as a small shed or as big as you like.  One I saw had a pond, seating and everything inside.  They are usually made with wood and chicken type wire with walkways to join them to the main house through a cat flap in a window or door. 

Here's the first in my YT play list for cat condos, shelving, enclosures etc it might give you some ideas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNyhB38pB0U&list=PLvgviF5YwTE3FQQrvbTiCkzEVauC2F-6R

In the USA their cats are predominantly indoors due to the predators they have over there.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 19:22:45 PM by Purdy Bear »

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 17:35:46 PM »
My two are indoors. They love the honeysuckle prawn from purrs shop and cat nip toys. I also grow grass for them or collect it from the garden, they really love it. Xander really likes his treat ball and I made a puzzle out of loo rolls piled on top of each other which I put treats in for Buffy.

You can get DVDs for them to watch if they get bored. See if your two are interested by letting them watch some you tube clips like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-bEtoNzGHY

I really want to put some shelves in the hall for them to climb and and run along this summer. If you have room and are handy I think it's something they really enjoy.

I must say I spend half my life glad they are kept indoors and the other half feeling guilty. They seem perfectly happy though. In fact they seem the most content cats I've ever lived with. 

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 16:21:56 PM »
It sounds like they will be quite happy as indoor cats  ;D

Wot Sue said, if you dont have them, I would get some of the cubes from the purrs shop as well (if they in stock) You wouldn't think they would provide as much entertainment as they do, and your cats can run and slide into them to their hearts content while you are out!  :evillaugh:

Even our visitor cat who I would say is 7+ likes to pounce into them when they are lying about!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 13:01:57 PM »
I bet it is a weight off your mind- no doubt about it.  Am glad your DH saw the sense of your argument -it's a battle that so far I've lost in our house.   :hug: :hug:

I would think about maybe getting a couple of wand toys like Da Bird or Flying Frenzy, and maybe some toys where the cats have to work to puzzle out how to extract treats from them.   I'd also think about making sure they have a couple of tall cat trees/platforms for climbing, chilling out on and relaxing, especially if you can put these somewhere handy for a window or patio.

I do know people who have indoor cats that enjoy having bird and squirrel feeders close by, so they can watch the birds coming and going and the cats seem to find them equally fascinating. 

Offline girlinleeds

• Senior Cat
house cats
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 10:56:08 AM »
Had a heart to heart with dh last night about bella and jess. Bella has been inside since she was ill last september and jess is to young to go out but that time is fast approaching. I said last night how worried I am about letting them out poisonings/cars/dogs and so on. Bella is quite happy inside and I said im worried that if we let them out over the summer jess might not adapt to being a house cat over winter (havent heard of any poisonings this year tbh) and I cant cope with the worry of them being out over winter. Dh had agreed to keep them both in as house cats and I feel like a huge weight has been lifted. It was nice last summer having bella outside but at least this was I know there safe. They already have hundereds of toys but any suggestions on any other house cat must haves

Link to CatChat