Author Topic: Need advice about a cat, not stray  (Read 4695 times)

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
Re: Need advice about a cat, not stray
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2014, 11:54:21 AM »
Pav I hope you have 2 lovely days off with your Felicity and Mr Jingles  :hug:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2014, 06:14:36 AM »
  Thank you every one :hug:

No Alison, i am afraid not :( Have been looking for him every day but no sign of the poor boy. I am off for 2 days but am going to  ask the shopkeeper on Friday if they have managed to get him to the vet ? If they havent, i still have  my cat carrier at work if he shows up i will take him to my vet. Thanks for asking :hug: :hug:   

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2014, 23:40:17 PM »
Pav you are wonderful and so caring :hug: :hug: :hug:

Any news on the shop cat :hug:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2014, 20:42:59 PM »
Thankyou Pav.
 :hug: :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2014, 19:50:49 PM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2014, 19:26:08 PM »
Oh Pav.   It's an unequal world, and no mistake.   :hug:

Offline lau200

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Moustache, the Flick and Hairy Pants!
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2014, 18:40:42 PM »
Pav  :hug:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2014, 18:27:35 PM »
Pav  :hug:  :hug: Bless you for caring!

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2014, 06:31:50 AM »
 Mary, i doubt it too :( Sending you some gentle hugs and hope you having a better day :hug: :hug:

Gill, i do wonder why the old people left Mayhew they were there for such a long time and helped me with number of strays through the years . I am very disppointed as i still havent heared from the rescue officer >:(

Heather, that is why i couldnt understand why they refused my offer of taking him and pay for his treatment :-:

Gill, i so agree with you. That was my thouhts when i left work on Friday to come home as i was crossing the road to get to tube i saw a woman on payvment sitting on a carrier with a small white dog and lots of plastic bags next to her. She didnt look right hard to explain but kind of lost and very sad as i got closer i looked in the carrier and there was a beautiful blue long hair cat in there i say long hair as s(he) had long hair around the neck but hardly any fur on the body! I stoped and said to woman aww she is beautiful but noticed the woman got really upset by me talking to her and started pulling the dog. At the same time there was a group of young people crossing the road and they started laughing at her and pointing that really upset her and she started mumbling something :( So i asked her if she needs some help or would like some food for her cat but she just ignored me. I didnt want to disturb her any more so i just walked towards the station but wondered if she has become homeless with all the bags and kept thinking of the poor cat in the carrier that how she is going to get her out to feed or go to toilet and with having pets where is she going to stay? I just cried all the way home but the sad thing is that it seems no one cares any more people have no time or sympathy. There is  somuch sadness in this world, i just wish i was stronger and not so sensitive :innocent:  Gill sending you lots of gentle hugs too :hug: :hug: :hug:
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 06:39:15 AM by pappilon »

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2014, 00:49:55 AM »
I so despair of people that I have lost my faith in humans by 99% .
The world is full of cruelty and evil.nowadays , was nothing like this when  I was a kid and getting worse by the day .
Somedays the cruelty and ignorance just makes me so depressed, good job I have my cats .

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2014, 20:26:15 PM »
Even if they did take him to a vet (which I doubt) any treatment is going to cost them a bit, they don't sound like owners who would want to pay any vet bills. Don't really want to think of the alternative :(

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2014, 18:36:30 PM »
Its amazing how change of staff make a complete change of policy  >:( >:(

I  hope they  do take him to a vet  :hug: :hug:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2014, 12:23:15 PM »
Disappointing receptionist and not nice when people you know leave.

It's so annoying when people will not listen to you and take your advice. They might surprise you and take the cat to the vet but I doubt it.

Fingers crossed he shows up and can get sorted soon.

Mary  :hug:
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2014, 10:32:56 AM »
 Thank you everyone  :hug: :hug:
 No sign of him again, so i decided its best if i ask the people who work in the sqaure, there is the gardner who maintain the park and the council guy who clean the roads. They both said they've seen him in the morning and pointed at the shop and said he is from there :-:
The council man said he used to sit in the shop before but not any more he also said the shop keeper told him some times he doesnt come in for 4-5 days and they dont understand why!! :(

So i decided to go back to the shop and talk to them one more time . I said to him i saw your cat on Wednesday and he didnt look good. He said yes toomuch fighting >:( I said but you know why he is fighting and he said NO :Crazy: So i explained to him all over again about boy cats and territories. Then he said the cat must see a doctor? I said yes he needs a vet and i have my vet which i can take him if they help me catch him i will have him treated and nutered and bring him back in 3 days, i even offered to pay for his treatment and gave him my vets card to see its genuin but he said he has to speak to his uncle and ask me to come back on Monday :tired: I asked him to call the uncle while i was there and tried to make him understand the cat needs urgent help he called the uncle had a chat and said my uncle said he will take him to this doctor!! :(
I wait couple of days and will check with the shopkeeper if they have taken him , if not then i have to decide whats best to do as i spoke to Mayhew and was told not to turn up with him and wait for their officer to get in touch. The rehoming and rescue officer i knew are not there anymore and receptionest wasnt helpful at all she kept saying just answer the questions :Crazy: and dont attempt to catch the cat our officer has to do it. She wouldnt give me the chance to explain the cat might not be around when your officer turns up. Not impressed with them.
Thank you every one for taking time to reply. :hug: :hug:
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 11:15:06 AM by pappilon »

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2014, 19:17:04 PM »
Hope he is ok.
Yes, I agree about taking him away and getting him treated and a loving home found.
Thanks for caring.  Xx

Offline lau200

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Moustache, the Flick and Hairy Pants!
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2014, 18:26:12 PM »
Fingers crossed hes ok :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2014, 13:58:09 PM »
I hope he turns up Pav  :hug: :hug:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2014, 11:24:09 AM »
Me too  :hug:

Mary

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2014, 06:55:52 AM »

Got fingers crossed for today Pav.   :hug: :hug:

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2014, 05:19:42 AM »
  Thank you every one :hug: :hug:

I am afraid no sign of the little guy yesterday :( I stayed later than usuall and walked around the square and checked under the cars but didnt see him. Been thinking of him all night as it was very windy and wet . I hope he comes around today :-:

Have a great Friday.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2014, 17:39:25 PM »
Happy New Year Pav!

Offline Tigerlily (Allison)

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Toby
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2014, 08:29:32 AM »
What a tricky situation Pav  :( I hope you can do something for this lad, but only if you stay safe.

Happy New Year  :hug: :hug:
http://www.cat-rescue1.co.uk/

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16
Always in my thoughts, forever in my heart

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 07:10:31 AM »

A Happy and Peaceful New Year to you and to yours Pav.   :hug: :hug:

I suspect this cat may have dental problems, which will make it difficult to eat.  Could be his teeth, or an abcess.  As you say, being spring, his tendency will be to go looking for top totty, so fighting will be the norm for him.    And I daresay they may not allow him in their home due to the fragrant Tom Cat smell.   :tired:  Poor little lad.

It makes me think of JS and Donna with The General.  If ever there was a cat that relaxed like an old saggy sofa it's him.   :Luv: :Luv:  He's just blossomed, now that he knows he's cared about and looked after.

Good luck, Pav.   :hug: :hug:

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 05:35:13 AM »
 Aww Mary, Thank you for the link and pictures :hug: :hug: It brought back lots of good memory  :) No i wont be jumping the fire  :naughty:

Thank You Gill, you are right i will give them a ring this morning just to make sure.

I hope you feel better soon :hug: :hug: :hug:

Alison , recieved your lovely card and parcel. Thank you :hug: :hug:x

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 23:34:32 PM »
Have a great New Year Pav  ;D ;D ;D

I would check with Mayhew before doing anything to make sure they will take him.......I do hope so  :hug: :hug:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 22:43:09 PM »
Didn't realise you celebrated Persian New Year Pav. Have a wonderful time.

Sal-e no mobarak.

Are you going to be jumping over fires?

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/03/19/what-is-norooz_n_4989838.html

Mary

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 21:54:04 PM »
 Thank you Slugsta, all i am concern is his wellbeing. Also seeing as he struggled to eat. :hug:

KittyNic, not sure if the police would be interested and as for RSPCA , from experiance if they decide to do something it could take a very long time. :(

Thank you Mary, you could be right as there is massive problem with Mice in all hotels and restaurants in the area and could be the reason he told me not to feed him. I cant say
 I think i should take my cat carrier to work tomorrow and hope to see him . He let me touch him while eating so hopefully i'll be able to pick him up :-:

Tomorrow is Persian New year so i might not be around to update but i would on Friday.

Once again Thank you every one for your thoughts. :hug: :hug:
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 21:55:36 PM by pappilon »

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 21:13:59 PM »
Maybe like a lot of shop owners, he got the cat to get rid of mice?  I think he lied about feeding him 5 times a day.

He obviously doesn't care about the cat's health or he would have said he would take him to the vet instead of being nasty with you Pav.

You are like a magnet where cats are concerned Pav  :Luv2: :hug:

I would take him to the rescue asap.  Hopefully the shop keeper will not say anything to you and he will not get another cat.

Mary  :hug:

Offline KittyNic

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Sam, Codex, Jacob, Munchkin & Chutney too!
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 20:48:33 PM »
Is it worth speaking to the local RSPCA or police regarding neglect?

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 19:30:50 PM »
What a horrible situation to be in! As long as you can do so safely, then I think you would be right to coax the cat away. It's not something to be taken lightly but, at the end of the day, the cat's wellbeing must considered.  :hug:

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 18:58:14 PM »
Thank you Sue :hug:
I agree, i do think is ignorance. He maybe feeding the cat 5 times a day but if the cat is so thin and still starving then it could be some medical condition.
Sadly in many countries including where i come from people think is enough just to feed a cat and leave it just to live his/her life . Very few people have their cats neutered  >:(
The shop keeper is from Turkey and he is just treating the cat as they do at home but i find it cruel to leave a cat in this condition the wounds can get infected and its spring so it will be more fighting for the poor boy, also i think as they close the shop at 11pm if the cat is not around then they leave him out to sleep thats why he looks so grey and dirty :(
I doubt if the cat has ever been to a vet! I think Mayhew would take him as he is in a bad condition i wouldnt mind to take him to my vet but then once he is treated re homing him would be a problem thats why i thought Mayhew.
The sad thing is the guy can always get another cat  :(
Sue, thankyou but i will be fine. I work across the square from the shop and if i take the cat i make sure he doesnt see me. I just feel guilty taking him away knowing he belongs to some one but then i cant just leave him be . He must be in pain and discomfort.
Thank you  :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 17:59:30 PM »

Oh Pav.   :hug: :hug:  How horrible.  Always a tricky one, because of course we don't know the bigger picture.

I think, given the state this cat is in, if you can manage to coax him away (maybe with a food bribe) without the owners seeing, then I would do so,  and see if the Mayhew Trust would take him in for re-homing.  I wouldn't mention anything to the owner.  Maybe approach the trust on the basis this cat has been living rough, and seems to be in a bad way.  I doubt his present owners will have microchipped him, given he hasn't been neutered, and your well intentioned advice was dismissed so curtly.

It sounds likely that he's either not being fed properly, or he has a medical condition which isn't being treated.  Given that he's entire, together with his cuts and wounds, it sounds more of a case of neglect than illness (although he may well be ill if he's been neglected for some time, which does seem to be the case).  Could be ignorance rather than wilful mistreatment, but the fact they didn't want to even consider your advice doesn't bode well for the long term welfare of this cat.

One thing I would say though Pav - have a care for yourself.  You have a big heart, and we love you for that, but please be careful.  This owner chap doesnt sound over friendly.   :hug: :hug:

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
Need advice about a cat, not stray
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 17:05:57 PM »
 I need your opinion please.

Very close to where i work there is this B/W cat which belongs to one of the small shops which sells groceries. I saw him first last year sitting in front of the doorway and he looked fine i asked and they said its their cat.Three weeks a go as i was leaving work i saw a B/W cat under the cars moving from one car to another and rubing his face he looked very thin the whites were all grey as he was living rough :( So i went to the same shop but there dont sell cat foods so i got a tin of tuna and fed the cat he was starving and as i got close i realize he is a full Tom. I went back to the shop and ask if he is their cat and the guy said yes i told him my concern about him being so underweight and he said he walks toomuch and always fighting in the park :( There is a small park in the sqaure and thats where he meant!
I started explaining to him the reason for him fighting and if they have him neutered but the guy response was you what? I am not doing it and told me not to feed him cos they feed him 5 times a day  >:(
Today i saw the poor cat again under the car and he was lieking the cars so i got close to him and he was in such a bad state covered in deep cuts and wounds on his head and bad sores with fur missing all over his back :'( I had some cat food in my bag so i fed him he was starving and got some water from work and he drunk that too i sat with him and noticed he was strugling to eat. He looked really rough and dirty  :'(
Here is where i need your thoughts , is it wrong if i take him to Mayhew rescue and ask them to treat him and have him neutered and find him a home? He is in a very bad state and looks weak, i am not sure how long he survives out there , i dont think the shopkeeper cares and no point to go and talk to him as he made it clear last time that i shouldnt interfier.
What is the right thing to do?
I am sorry for the long post.
Thankyou

Link to CatChat