Author Topic: Microchip Cat Flap  (Read 1398 times)

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
Re: Microchip Cat Flap
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 20:03:09 PM »
Yes, by letting Evie out when you choose and any of your cats who are outside Will be able to get back in regardless of any curfew, as curfew only prevents any cat exiting the house during the times you choose.

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 19:37:11 PM »
 :wow: brilliant response Sue! I will def get a microchip one then. I have seen the prices and know they are a lot more expensive,  it was just the wires that would of put me off a bit!

So if I wanted to,  I could let D & D go as they please,  but just allow Evie out during the day then? that would be ideal  :wow:
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 17:54:32 PM »
Hi emmy-lou

There are both mains operated (Petporte) and battery, but I would strongly recommend the battery operated Sureflap.  They really are first rate.  Sureflap have a real commitment to what they do, and customer care and service are their number one priority. 

I've bought three of their flaps - one of the regular Sureflap catflaps (which we donated to a neighbour), one of the larger pet door types (because Ross was a  big lad and struggled with the smaller sureflap) and one of the new dualscan flaps.  They all work off batteries, and battery life is good.

The pet door  has a curfew function, so you can set the door to lock during certain times - handy if you like to keep cats in overnight.  The dualscan means you can elect to give certain cats unrestricted access to the outside whilst keeping others as indoor cats only.  Moray is also growing into quite a large cat, and yet he manages the dualscan flap without difficulty.

All are simple to fit, and with the exception of the Pet Door  (which is larger), will fit an aperture from the standard Staywell flap.

All of them can be used as fully manually operated flaps should you prefer .  If you decide to buy one, I'd recommend buying direct from the Sureflap site, as you'll then be supplied with their most up to date model.

http://www.sureflap.co.uk/

They're pricier than ordinary cat flaps, but they are worth every single darned penny.  There are a few of us on Purrs who've bought these flaps and they don't disappoint.  (Now there's a company I'd be proud to work for.  If ever they wanted a north east rep, I'd be delighted to oblige  ;D )

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
Microchip Cat Flap
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 14:16:59 PM »
This might sound like a bit of a silly question, but I cant find an answer online  :-[

How do they work with regards to power? I thought they would be battery, but when searching I have found adaptors as an accessory for them. We are getting new double glazing and wanted to put a cat flap in (but I didn't want our 'visitor' coming and going as he likes)

I dont really want to have wires being fitted around new patio doors  :shocked:

Also its no doubt been asked before, but recommendations for best cat flaps microchip or otherwise?  :thanks:
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Link to CatChat