Author Topic: microchip cat flaps  (Read 1648 times)

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
Re: microchip cat flaps
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 11:09:21 AM »

In short, yes.   Your inside cat wouldnt be able to get out, but the cat that was still outside would be permitted to gain entry back into the house.  Once in, he wouldnt be able to get back out again until the curfew had expired.  It doesnt take the cats long to eget used to it.

A joiner - by gum, that's a profession that's worth having in the family  ;) ;D

Offline girlinleeds

• Senior Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 10:44:22 AM »
Question about the pet door as trying to get my head round them. If I set the timer and one cat came in but the other was still out would the in cat be stopped from going back out but the other one still able to get back in??

My fil was a joiner which means dh thinks hes fantastic at diy

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 07:56:25 AM »

Am also a real fan of the Sureflap, having been put on to them by Sheila- I have both the larger Pet Door (which has the curfew mode you were wondering about) and the dualscan cat flap, which enables you to give selected pets indoor/outdoor access whilst restricting another cat to indoor only, for times when you may need to keep one cat in whilst letting one out (for example when you have acquired a new kitten or cat, or when you ned to take a cat to the vet and they disappeear on you with that innate knowledge cats have when they learn of a vet appointment!)

Installation of the Sureflap is straightforward (unless you have a husband like mine or share his DIY "talent"   :evillaugh:) and the ordinary size sureflap will fit the aperture used for Staywell flaps.

Battery life is good.

I agree with Sheila - I would buy direct from Sureflap, to ensure you get the most up to date model, but whoever you buy from ultimately, make sure you register your flap with Sureflap to validate your warranty.

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 23:02:10 PM »
I have the sureflap pet door which is slightly bigger than the normal flap so you may need to enlarge the hole a bit - but you can programme the pet door to lock overnight.  It locks 'out' only so if a kitty is still outside when the curfew time is due  (or if kitty is let out of an open door like my hubby does sometimes!) it will still let them back in as normal - it just won't let them back out again.  I would thoroughly recommend it, the batteries are so convenient and it has the functionality of timer locking that you want  :wow: 
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 23:05:18 PM by fluffybunny »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 22:30:21 PM »
Which ever you decide for be sure to check the measurements  to make sure you cat can get through

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 19:56:27 PM »
We went with Surefalp and very pleased we did  ;D

We have no electicity in the back of the house where the catflap is so battery power was our no. 1 concern, but the flap works perfectly for all our 8 (9 including Tufty) cats.

Can't fault it - make sure you get the newest model which has a quiet closure - the older ones have a clunky click that spooks some cats.For that reason alone I suggest you buy direct from Sureflap as Amazon and Zooplus may still have the old version in stock.

One thing to note = microchip cat flaps work so long as the chip is in "sight" of the reader. We have one old boy whose chip has now slipped down below his shoulder blade, and the top-of-the-range Sureflap Dual (IN and OUT control) - which has (physically) a shorter sensor for exiting cats - would not read his chip on exit - hence some toileting issues ensued.
However, 8 out of 9 cats did use it successfully, so I really cannot complain. Also their customer service has been excellent.

So if you think you will need to control exit as well as entry, Sureflap are the only company to offer this. Their standard (IN control) flap however has been a steadfastly reliable asset for us, and even with 9 cats coming and going freely, we only have to replace the 4 AA batteries every 6 months.

Offline girlinleeds

• Senior Cat
microchip cat flaps
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 19:27:55 PM »
we're going to replace our normal cat flap with a microchip one, but which are better the sureflap or petporte?? I like the petporte as you can program it to lock overnight which i dont think you can do with the sureflap , but the sureflap runs on batteries so would be easier to install. Any opinions on them?? Thanks x

Link to CatChat