Author Topic: Chipping  (Read 3213 times)

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: Chipping
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2014, 09:44:51 AM »
he doesnt see to like it when he can't see me (like on the toilet  :scared: )

You mean you shut him out of the toilet?  Shame on you!  :evillaugh:  I wouldn't dare presume I can indulge in such activities without company.  The ultimate in multi tasking!  ;) 

Incidentally that reminds me of the time when my sister came to stay years ago and Jaffa was still quite small.  She went to the loo and did shut the door but failed to notice that Jaffa has sneaked in.  After a few seconds I heard a shriek and "Jaffa's in here.."  I did laugh as my sister isn't the most animal friendly person.  She sounded so horrified  :rofl:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2014, 22:30:10 PM »
This is what I suggest you try and get used to SB  :) until he is, ahem, less inclined to follow the ladies  :hug: :hug:

http://youtu.be/z2a7Nb7a-F8

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2014, 22:16:36 PM »
With Rosella on that one no need to go out till castrated and 8 foot walls have paw holds and they can climb very well as youngsters

I currently have an 8 month old who has weekend privileges but is grounded through the week, 2 x 20 week old Bengal kittens who have never been out and will not be going out until they are done and even then it will be at least May/June before they get weekend days out supervised and will be grounded the majority of the time till I feel they are up to a full day out

No need to let them out but if your vet does early neutering and he weighs more than 2 kgs that would speed up your plans and then at least he wouldn't wander looking for the ladies
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2014, 22:04:40 PM »
This probably will sound like I'm a nut case but c'est la vie  :sigh:

I wouldn't let an unneutered tittentat outside if I lived in Colditz.  Male hormones won't kick in just yet SB but you are making a rod for your own back by introducing the freedom experience before you need to.  He will mither you to bits to go out all the time.  8 foot walls sound good but, if it ain't necessary before he is neutered, I simply wouldn't risk it  :hug:

If I'm honest I don't want my little boy to go out at all but know he has to one day. He'll only be allowed out when I feel comfortable that he's grown up enough. I'm using 6 months as a guide based on my family and friends cats although I live in a more urban area so am taking that into consideration.

We have lost 2 cats to the road in a very quiet area and I can't tell you how much I do not want you or Frankie to experience that pain  :hug: :hug: 
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 22:06:30 PM by Rosella moggy »

Offline Blue Rabbit

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Ben, Jerry, Archie and Zelda
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2014, 14:15:12 PM »
I would be wary of taking a vet's advice of when cats can go outside. Vets say it's ok for kittens to leave mum at 8 weeks and it's not ok at all, ideally the earliest they should leave is 10 weeks, and 13 weeks is better. Vets know loads about healthcare and that's great, but they're not so clued in on behaviour.

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Frankenstein
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2014, 13:11:25 PM »
I'll be a mess :D

We have an 8 foot walled yard so it will be a while before he can jump out of it. The vet has said he's happy that from next weekend Frankie can come outside supervised. He was already stressing last weekend when I was doing some gardening, he doesnt see to like it when he can't see me (like on the toilet  :scared: ) My partner is away over the weekend so it will be nice to introduce him to the yard as I pot some plants. Saying that, I'll probably too busy making sure Frankenstein stays in site :p

Offline Skiddaw

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: The Munchkin and formerly to dear, departed Uncle M
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2014, 16:00:47 PM »
Me too. So glad Frankenstein (I just love the name!!  :evillaugh:) has been chipped.

Hope he enjoys exploring when the time comes. If you're anything like me, you'll be out looking for him if he is out of sight for more than 10 minutes at a time.  :Luv:

Offline KittyNic

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Sam, Codex, Jacob, Munchkin & Chutney too!
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2014, 12:07:54 PM »
I definitely recommend chipping. I only got my Codex back after she went missing for five months because she was chipped.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2014, 20:38:02 PM »
Alfie has been with us for almost 18 months now - he came to us when he wandered and got lost from his previous home - and I still have hysterics if he is late back for a meal!  :-[

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2014, 20:27:30 PM »
I want him to go out and explore, I just want him to be safe and to not go far. I'm hoping neutering him will stop him wandering far after the ladies. I do think if he wants to go out he should. There's a huge Park near my house and loads of other cats on my street for him to play with/batter.

The first few times he goes out alone I'm going to be in pieces tho :p

Offline Blue Rabbit

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 20:14:10 PM »
Thanks again for some awesome response!

<snip>

If I'm honest I don't want my little boy to go out at all but know he has too one day. He'll only be allowed out when I feel comfortable that he's grown up enough. I'm using 6 months as a guide based on my family and friends cats although I live in a more urban area so am taking that into consideration.

<snip>

Snipped this just as I wanted to respond to this particular point. He doesn't have to go out if you or he isn't comfortable with it, it is entirely a matter of choice!  :)   None of my 4 go outside, and it's not because one is a pedigree but because I don't trust people. There are numerous benefits to a cat being a house cat and they can still get outdoor access via a run or a cat-proofed garden.

I am in no way knocking free-roaming cats, each cat has their own preference, but if you're concerned about letting him outdoors in your area and he shows no real interest in going outdoors himself, I wouldn't knock it! As long as he's got plenty of stimulation, hidey spots and places to climb that aren't your curtains, there is no harm in keeping him indoors  :)

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 18:45:35 PM »
Well we've just come back from the vets. He took his shot like a pro and he's a good weight. Vet asked about microchipping and I explained my concerns about the shot. He reassured me (helps he was pretty dishy!) so I agreed. Turns out there was an offer on so it was free too. Frankie is OK although he's fallen asleep :p

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 17:12:43 PM »
I get all mine ID Chipped when castrated/spayed as they are outcold with anaesthetic so feel nothing the quickest and easiest way

Much to everyones surprise I had my forever foster Miss Millie Id chipped and injected at the grand old age of 16 as she likes to have a 20 min walk twice a day outside so we felt it would be safer not that she goes far but she is a Clan cat and that's the deal

Also ensure any collar is quick release should he be a tree climber

None of mine wear collars but all are ID chipped and a couple of my ferals are ear tipped as well and all my house cats, indoor/outdoor and my out door only all ID chipped and done and that includes my 3 dogs as well

Here at the Clan we think we should have shares in the ID chip company lol ;D
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 17:10:08 PM »
I don't think it is unreasonable to get the 2nd vaccs done and delay the chipping a little, many people get the chip and snip done at the same time. This way, you will know for sure whether the vaccs upset Frankie without having the issue clouded by chipping.

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 17:07:29 PM »
Thanks again for some awesome response!

Money is not an issue, my main concern about today is how utterly poorly he was with the first shots. It took a good week for his appitite to return and I was close to taking him back the vets. I'm concerned that it may be an extra stress that he doesn't need if it's going to be like last time.

The issue of the collar (which will always be a breakaway) will be down to frankenstein and his ability to eat it :D

If I'm honest I don't want my little boy to go out at all but know he has too one day. He'll only be allowed out when I feel comfortable that he's grown up enough. I'm using 6 months as a guide based on my family and friends cats although I live in a more urban area so am taking that into consideration.

I also need the vet to look at his bottom....
My partner isn't coming with me so hopefully the vet will understand if I ask for us to wait.

You're comments about the council have made me think a bit more about it so thanks again! Xx

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 16:20:25 PM »
Is money the issue SB?  I am assuming not as it isn't that expensive.  Do you have other concerns?

We share our home with seven cats.  All chipped and (weirdly) just the 3 girls wear collars.  None of the boys wear collars for various reasons that I won't bore you with.  Chipping is so much more the norm now than it used to be.

Basically I can understand the collar debate on grounds of safety but think chipping is so obviously beneficial.  Do you think it might hurt Frankie perhaps because it won't  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Very much hoping you give lots of thought as to whether or not Frankie wears a collar.  If you decide in favour, I would urge you to ensure it has a breakaway clasp.  Please don't be fooled into thinking the elasticated ones are in any way safe as they are not  :hug:
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 16:22:33 PM by Rosella moggy »

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 15:49:31 PM »
I highly recommend it:

My story:  I had a cat called Splodge who routinely followed me to work.  My Bosses kids decided they wanted a kitty, took her collar off and then went on holiday with her.  It was only the fact I told everyone that my cat had gone missing that someone put two and two together and we were reunited.  The kids admitted what they did and were rewarded with two grey tabby kittens of their own.  Splodge later died age 26 and the vet thought it was her last fling. 

Story B:  Just recently near me an owner didn't have his cat microchipped, nor wore a collar, not neutured, and said cat escaped out of a door not to be seen since.  The cat was a house cat but still managed to get out.

We've had 4 cats die in RTAs on my road in the last year, all never had collars so they only way to trace them was through microchips.

A vet nurse told me they had one cat who had hopped abroad a postal van and had be found some miles away, it was only the microchipped that enabled them to find the owner.

If your cat escapes and has no microchip, nor collar to identify that cat then you will loose it as you would probably only have 7 days to find them at a rescue before it went up for adoption.  That is if the cat got that far as there are many who would take in a hungry lonely cat and keep it for months before getting it to see a vet.

If money is a problem then search out your local rescues etc as they will often microchip cheaper or for free.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 15:50:40 PM by Purdy Bear »

Offline Blue Rabbit

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 15:02:43 PM »
I hugely endorse chipping, for a number of reasons.

If your cat goes out and about and is unwittingly taken in by some kindly soul, they will take it to the vets or rescue, whereupon they will be scanned for a chip. If the chip is there the vet or rescue cannot let that person leave with the cat as the cat is legally your property.

If your cat goes out and about, a chip is much safer than a collar, as collars can and do strangle cats when caught on something. It means your cat's address can be found safely and you don't have to pay for new collars every few days (as I had to do at one point!).

In case of an RTA, vets and councils can check for a chip and let you know what has happened, which saves you weeks/months/years of worry, grief and heartache.

Kittens really shouldn't be let out until at least 10 months old, as they are just too kitten-like and are more interested in chasing a leaf than worrying about that oncoming car. Please consider keeping your kitten in until 10 months, and make sure he is neutered and up-to-date with vaccs, worming and flea treatments.

Also, here is a story of how a cat was reunited with her owner, even though the given address on her chip was in Spain!! It does work!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-25997769
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 15:03:33 PM by Blue Rabbit »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 14:47:30 PM »
these days all rescues check for chips if an animal is taken in, vets do also for rta and stuff, worse case even some councils check for chips if they remove bodies (not all but some) I'd say it was worth it for sure, its also some proof of ownership on your part, although rare sometimes there are disputes about ownership

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
Chipping
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 14:35:16 PM »
Hello All,

Frankenstein is back the vets tonight for his second shot. When we went for his first the vets said he would be microchipped at this point too.

If I'm honest I'm really struggling to believe chipping is effective with cats. Unlike dogs, when you see a cat you don't look for it's owners. My mother fostered animals all through my childhood and I've never heard of a cat being reunited with its owner through chipping.

At the same time, I'd be heart broken if Frankenstein went missing. We've grown so close he's my proper little buddy.

My partner is also in two minds about it.

Frankie wont be going out until he is neutered and the vet said they don't do this until they are 6 months so I'm guessing we can say to the vet that we would rather wait until then to make our minds up.

Was wondering if anyone had any opinions on this or been reunited through chipping?

x

Link to CatChat