Author Topic: Cat Nip Mint  (Read 2039 times)

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
Re: Cat Nip Mint
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2014, 20:05:10 PM »
Seeing as it's happy in it's pot infoors I'd leave it for now .... It can outside when it's a bit warmer  :hug:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2014, 12:21:30 PM »
The Cat nip plant I purchased is now well on the way to being 12 inches high.  My question is when do I plant it out?

Round here the Crocuses and Snowdrops are up and our Daffodils have begun to show their heads in the garden, but I'm not sure if the last frost has passed.  Should I wait until there is no frost, then put it out in the lean too to make it hardy and then plant it in the outside pot?

NB  I am a complete novice with gardening and usually kill any house plants except Cacti,  I'm surprised the Cat nip has lasted the course. :rofl:  It's on my kitchen windowsill at the moment, and in about a 6 inch (across) pot.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 13:16:15 PM »
Glad to help  ;D

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 10:38:19 AM »
Sam thanks for those links I will go take a look.

I found this tutorial how to grow the Cat Mint:

http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/herbs/mint/catmint-plant.htm

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 19:31:25 PM »
Not sure if you can get mini version of cat nip .... but it comes in a trailing version.  There are lots and lots of varieties of "Nepeta", it's a member of the "mint" family so most of the varieties are quiet "vigorous" (weed like) once they take hold.  Not all are stinky and cat attractors though.   

As you can probably tell I have grown a fair few different types of cat mint and have learnt by trial and error which ones my cats like.   ;)

Trailing variety: http://www.brooksidenursery.co.uk/nepeta-plug-plants-pack-of-5-plug-plants-269-p.asp

This link gives a list of different varieties:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nepeta

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 13:46:27 PM »
Thanks everyone.

I received the seeds today so I just need to find a suitable pot to start them off in.

Sam - Thanks for the links I've ordered a plant, and some Rosemary seeds I had been searching for.  How one kills Rosemary I will never know but I succeeded last year.   :rofl:

Does anyone know if cat mint comes in a mini version?  I was think of putting one lot in some hanging baskets over the front door, enticingly out the way for some moggies.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 13:17:08 PM »
I've grown it from seed in pots (started off inside then put it in bigger pot outside when warmer).  It has done well but I didn't get any flowers.  only got flowers on plants I've bought from garden centre.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 09:01:49 AM »
Cat Nip is really easy to grow but you have to remember there are loads of different types and not all of them are as "potent" as others.  I have found that the Nepeta Six Hills Giant is a safe bet ... fast growing, very pretty flowers (if it stays in the garden long enough to flower ... my lot tend to eat all traces before the poor plants can take hold lol) and very potant.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plants/plant_finder/plant_pages/570.shtml

You can also buy plants from here:  http://www.crocus.co.uk/plants/_/nepeta-six-hills-giant/classid.3263/

Offline onyx

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Fonzie and Chloe, plus Amber and Izzie the doggies
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 07:41:05 AM »
i planted some from seed a few years ago, and it hasn't died yet!   it just lives outside, and gets watered when i remember.

not too sure it is the healthiest.... as healthy catnip spreads like wildfire... but, its still around! every winter it looks like it dies, but in the spring it comes back.

the cats love it - but you have to remember to smoosh the leaves for it to work. if you were planting it now, i'd probably start it off inside, and then gradually move it out when it gets warmer. i think??? i may have done that with mine.

i have also tried to grow valerian, but that was far, far less successful.

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
Cat Nip Mint
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 16:29:26 PM »
I want to grow some Cat Nip Mint to put out to entice said Tensing out of his Yeti type existence (see my feral/cat stray thread) :naughty:.  Does anyone have experience growing the plant, I will be growing it from seed.  I'm a complete novice for growing things and usually kill indoor plants by over watering. :rofl: 

We have had cat mint in the garden many years ago but it sort of arrived as we never planted it and it's long gone now.

Link to CatChat