Author Topic: Need advice about feral/stray cat  (Read 4455 times)

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
Re: Need advice about feral/stray cat
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2014, 10:54:42 AM »
An update on the cat saga:

Flinty the fox is getting rather fat and his the one coming just after 10, you could set your clock by him.

I purchased an igloo cat litter tray with cat door, put in some straw with a nice fleece on top and put that outside after wrapping the top in a black bag to stop the draught coming through the vents.  There it stayed not touched, however today I spotted the door isn't sitting the same way it was, and the blanket looks like it has been moved.

The only problem I have is that the cat whisperer next door has moved out and rents to a lady who smokes on her door step just when Tensing would be calling.  He runs when anyone comes close, so I guess he must come later in the night.

The Tensing project continues.  If it isn't our Maine Coon chap then it's another feline needing shelter as the Flinty is too big to fit in the igloo.

I hope now the days are getting longer to be able to see him more often like last year.

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2014, 16:29:34 PM »
That wouldn't surprise me at all. :rofl:

Well nothing much has happened as far as the food is concerned, it goes every night and no cat has been seen.  However, this afternoon the cat flap went - it's been locked for a while now.  I looked but couldn't see any feline, but it does look like a cat, whether it is Tensing or not I don't know, wants to come have a sniff inside.

My dog also woofed at something in the garden, and his used to birds.  Curiouser and Curiouser I say.

Offline lau200

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Moustache, the Flick and Hairy Pants!
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2014, 16:28:03 PM »
At this rate they will be forming an orderly queue outside your door  :rofl: sounds great so far though :)

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2014, 09:05:22 AM »
Thanks, at present it is unused.

For the last two days I've been watching for the Master at his usual visiting time.  The first night nothing, last night well we did get a visitor but not a cat,  it was a gorgeous fox who I've nicked named Flinty.  It just took the fresh meat off the top and nothing else.  I've never seen a fox so close before and he had a lovely tail.  The rest of the food had gone this morning, so I suspect Tensing may have visited again later.

There have been clues that there are two feeding off the dish,  the roast bones would be picked clean and then disappear over night,  this I suspect was Tensing doing the first bit and Flinty the second.  Plus of course there have been the poo presents,  fox poo is usually darker in colour then cats.  Both my brother and visitors have seen both fox and cat munching the yummies I put down.

Now it is sorting out the timing again. If Flinty is the visitor just before 10.30 it means Tensing is coming later so that will be fun finding out when.  Last night the fox came at 10.35,  I checked at 2.25 (up to care for Dad) and 3/4 of the remaining food was gone and this morning it was all gone.
I will watch again tonight and definitely on Sunday as that will be a roast remnant meal so a high quality to get the visitors early.

Offline Blue Rabbit

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Ben, Jerry, Archie and Zelda
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2014, 14:10:25 PM »
Ohhh I see what you mean!! A garden bag is a brilliant idea, hopefully he doesn't develop a taste for it and start nibbling! I know my lot would  :shify:

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2014, 13:58:16 PM »
Oh it's sealed inside a huge garden rubbish bag, with another for an over hanging roof.  I've got the small version out in the garden for pre tests, if it does go soggy within the bag, then I have a polystyrene box coming that will do the trick.

Offline Blue Rabbit

• Adult Cat
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2014, 13:09:00 PM »
The only problem with cardboard is what if it rains?

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2014, 09:02:47 AM »
Most definitely under the paw.   :rofl:

He left another poo present last night, and it was a much better texture, as I'd kept him on dry food for a bit to harden it up a bit.  His still as elusive as ever. 

The prototype cat box is too small, so once I find a box bigger I will make another.  I've already had one person ask for the results in the box research, I guess they want to make their own.  I may use two fruit boxes next time, but I didn't know if it would be ok because of the smell.  The other option is to do a massive order from my favourite online pet store and use their great boxes.   ;D

I've worked out his visiting time so I can sit and wait by the window to see if I can see the Master at his best.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2014, 16:31:27 PM »
Sounds as if Sir Tensing has got you right under his paw  ;D

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2014, 16:27:37 PM »
Well I chose straw as all the feral websites recommended it, but I do have an old cardigan or even posher mini quilts to go in there if the first attempts don't come to light. 

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2014, 15:25:54 PM »
That all sounds very comfy  :gold stars: but will he sleep on straw? I know my lot will happily wee and poo on straw  :sick: but might turn their perfect little noses up at bedding down.  :shify:

Mind you, my lot are not as needy as Tensing. :care:

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2014, 14:39:34 PM »
I've had an enjoyable afternoon making a feral cat home out of a cardboard box, duct tape, kitchen rolls, heavy duty garbage bags, two plastic lids for the doors and straw for the bedding.  It was only when I finished I realised I hadn't put enough insulation for the walls so that will be remedied on the next prototype. 

I will have to see if Master Tensing approves of ones servants efforts and think's it's worthy of his grand presence. :rofl:

PS I've rubbed fresh cat mint around the entrance and exit doors and shoved a bit in the straw. :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 14:41:44 PM by Purdy Bear »

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2014, 20:00:41 PM »
The problem is actually spotting him as it's virtually impossible in the dark when he comes round.  I'm hoping to have a closer look when the nights get lighter to see if his got an ear clip etc.   We have so many cats round here it worries me that I would get the wrong one if we were trapping, plus there is a fox that visits, they seem to divide the food between them.

I do intend to get him seen too once I know if he still has his bits etc.

Offline Blue Rabbit

• Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2014, 16:56:02 PM »
Have you thought about trapping him and getting him checked over at the vet and possibly getting him neutered? I only ask as it would be a good thing for him to get the snip, and he may well be owned and chipped.

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2014, 09:36:09 AM »
PS  I've just found this poo chart to show healthy poo etc:

http://www.foothillpethospital.com/pet_info-fecalscoring.html

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2014, 08:55:20 AM »
I've been keep a log of Tensing's visits, he usually comes around late evening to get his yummies.  Today there was a poo left by the side of the food and water bowl, it was brown and not black which I think fox poo normally is.  Is my big chap leaving me a present, as my previous cats normally have left mice?  I did give him a special delux can meat treat and some dental treats last night. 

I'm reading a book about Natural cat care which recommends using mental imagery to send to said moggy to see if they will cooperate and I feel him very close in the evening.  The book says cats are very intuitive so am I, so we shall see if it works.

Oh the cat nip is now climbing up the kitchen window and it follows the light source which is entertaining, maybe a good one for the kids to grow.

Oh if you need to know the poo was typical cat size so could have been either a cat or a fox!

Offline Skiddaw

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: The Munchkin and formerly to dear, departed Uncle M
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2014, 13:43:13 PM »
Love the name!  :Luv:

I do hope Tensing comes in from the cold very soon.

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2014, 13:40:25 PM »
Two things have happened to report to you.  Last night I checked just after 10 pm and he had munched his way through most of the food, I think I may have disturbed him half way as I was sure I could hear the typical munch from under my brothers car.  When I checked this morning all the food had gone.

I've also managed to have a word with my elderly neighbour and it's not her cat, the poor lady lost all of hers to old age.  She didn't know of any long haired Tabbies around locally either, so that maybe a good thing.  This old lady supported a feral community for years and now is really to frail for a cat but would like an older one.  I suggested she go and be a cat cuddler for a local rescue centre in stead.  She must be well into her 90's and not able to do everything herself so not a good idea for her to have another pet unless it's something like a snail.

Anyway now I know Tensing is about around that time I can keep an eye out for him

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2014, 17:25:55 PM »
That looks great! I do hope that Tensing makes good use of it.

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2014, 13:49:33 PM »
I've just found this great shelter for Master Sherpa Tensing, it's basically made from a cardboard box, and duct tape:

http://lyracat.wordpress.com/2010/10/03/how-to-make-an-outside-cat-shelter/

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 12:03:07 PM »
 :rofl:  Amazing isn't it, how the little fluff balls get us laughing, and entertain us. 

I put the food back in the normal place and it was completely gone to the last bite.  I can imagine the gumbling that happened while eatting.  I've cooked him some left over diced turkey for a treat, maybe he will forgive me. ;)

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 16:50:02 PM »
Purdy, my Alfie is 2 and a bit years old and weights a whopping 7kg. Yet he has the squeakiest meow I have ever heard! Meanwhile Cleo, our grumpy 12 year old girl, weighs 3.5kg and uses very unladylike language  :rofl:

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 08:57:13 AM »
We sort of had a small development yesterday.  I put Tensing's food in a slightly different place,  I normally place it by the water bowl, but as it was raining I placed it under the tree next to the rubbish bins.  Well about 8 o'clock I heard this soulful meow at my back window but by the time I got out there the cat was gone.  I went out this morning and the food was untouched.  I think Tensing was putting his paw down, insisting his servant put his food in the right place and keep it there.   :rofl:

PS  His a big cat but had a meow which was pretty squeaky for a cat his size, I expected something a bit more baratone.

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 08:32:30 AM »
I think Tensing has been taking lessons from the Yettis.  I was awake with Dad during the night so checked the food, and it was still there at 2.30am but gone at 7.30.  Mee thinks this is going to be harder then I thought!

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 15:19:25 PM »
No sighting of Tensing last night, and I waited for an hour to watch.  All the food was gone this morning and a nice little poo gift behind the bins.   He may well be sleeping there as it's under a conifer tree so lots of needles to soften the ground and well out the way of any eyes unless you've got night vision glasses.

I've added a second box and bed in the lean to out the back.  The temperature was roughly 3 last night and I'm now wondering where his spending his time, although he has a very thick winter coat on him.

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 13:52:37 PM »
I'm in SE London, and my nearest CPL is Swanley, so I will contact them if I need a trap.  I just need to speak to one elderly neighbour to make sure his not her cat, I know all the others around here.  I've got my Dad's carers keeping an eye out for him, as he scarpers when the front door opens and they've seen him more then I have.

I have the cat man next door who is a bit of a cat whisperer - he has 4 indoor ones - so I might get him on board as his whispered one stray into his home already. ;)

I was also thinking of moving Tensing's food up to where I can see him from the front windows so I can get a decent look but we shall see how that goes.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 12:17:56 PM »
Wedgies - My pet name for Norwegian Forest Cats  :-[ They can grow as big as Maine Coons, and also have a variety of colours so His Nibbs Master Sherpa Tensing may be either.

Can you borrow a trap from your local Rescue?

If not, try advertising for one on your local Freegle or Freecycle page - I used to borrow one from a local warehouse owner who had it knocking around in the back store.  ;D Eventually it became obvious that strays and ferals were going to be a regular thing for me so I went out and bought my own trap. I also invested in a chip scanner and must admit this pairing does take the guesswork out of dealing with strays.  ;)

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 11:27:29 AM »
I hope it is the cat that went missing in August  :innocent:

Shiela Wedgies????  :Crazy: never heard that before!
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 11:04:27 AM »
Can you get a photo of him? Even a blurred shot may be enough for his owner to recognise him, then post his nibs on NPR and AnimalSearch UK. Definitely keep on feeding him, and your box kennel sounds perfect. Once you have his trust you could borrow a trap and see about bringing him indoors for a chip and chop check and then hand him in to Rescue, if you have one locally with space that is?

Well done for looking out for him. And yes  Coonies and Wedgies do come in tabby flavours.

Where are you ?

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 08:49:29 AM »
Yesterday I put a nice tote box in the shed (it has a gap in the bottom of the door they can get under), it had a nice bit of polystyrene in the bottom with an old towel and cardigan on top to keep it warm. 

I looked at the local missing pet register and there was a long haired tabby male which went missing on August last year, so that might this chap.  His from about 3 miles away and the first time I saw him would have been December time (I think), so it may well be him.  I'm going to see if I can get a better look  at him and then contact the August cat owners to see if they have their chap back yet.

I'm going to call him Tensing, as in Sherpa Tensing of Everest Fame, as the cat is as big as a mountain.

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
Need advice about feral/stray cat
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 09:19:03 AM »
I saw the monster last night who was munching his way through the fox food (usually dog food, bones (not chicken) and kitchen scraps).  He is a humongous long haired grey tabby with a short tail, and absolutely gorgeous.    I say he cause his huge and I don't think an average female would get that big unless his a Main Coon or NFC - do they come in tabby.

He is very very scared, and was wairy of me a good 20 feet away so my plan is to just see if I can sit and be near him first, with the weather hopefully improving over the next couple of months that might be a good course.  I couldn't see if he wore a collar or had an ear nick so I may need to get the binoculars out.  I've only ever seen him a night, and his not vocal at all.

I'd love some advice about his nibs.  As far as I can tell his been coming round for a few months at least, and I don't know him from my area either.  We do have stables near here so he could be a feral from there, although he always comes from a different direction.

PS  I have a cat chasing dog!  And said cat comes into our front garden which is on a main road.

Link to CatChat