Author Topic: A Cat's Purr  (Read 2846 times)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: A Cat's Purr
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2014, 07:13:54 AM »
Jaffa purrs when he's eating too.  especially if I've just come in from work and greeted him and got him all purred up - he just keeps on going whilst eating his tea!

Offline Nicola (RockysMum)

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Chester & Beau and my beautiful bridge babies Rocky, Jake & Bailey. RIP my boys
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2014, 15:42:15 PM »
I love to hear cats purring! Bailey purrs like an engine.
I'm a terrible insomniac and I swear him cuddled up next to me purring helps me sleep. Unless he's on my head at the time  :rofl:
He also purrs sometimes while eating, it's the weirdest sound when combined with him chomping loudly!

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Charlie, Poppy, Wordy and Ollie. RIP Bridge Baby Harry. x
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2014, 17:15:01 PM »
I love their purrs. Charlie sounds like a tractor, even with our night time ear plugs in we can hear him.
Poppy is a purry dribbler.
Wordy has a chuckely purr, and Ollie is learning his.lol

I love to put my head on their tummy and let the purrs go through me.  :Luv2:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2014, 06:50:00 AM »
The Siren Song of Miss Noni Baroni, Hula Princess.  I love that!   :Luv:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2014, 23:32:16 PM »
Noni has a loud and very rich, deep purr. 

It's an extremely contented purr that attracts Billy (her shadow), Ruby and Bobby within seconds.  They all gather round and head butt her.  Am pretty sure she would like them to stop  :innocent:

She does her best to ignore them and dribbles in an effort to put them off but it never works  :evillaugh:

Bless Ross  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2014, 07:48:22 AM »

I love the sound of a cat's purr too - gentle or loud, I dont care when it's generated from a place of contentment.   :)

Moray's purr is loud, but Tinks has a quiet purr - a shy purr, which makes it even more delightful when you can coax one out of him.  :Luv:

Ross used to have  a mega purr - he would purr on the in breath and the out breath, and it always made me smile. 

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 16:42:59 PM »
Both Alfie and Cleo have good purrs, Mr S complains about the former as it is usually demonstrated in the middle of the night whilst lying on my chest  :briggin:

Punky, bless her heart, used to have a good purr but also an interesting range of loud wheezes and snores.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 15:24:10 PM »
Misa purrs like a concorde  :rofl: :rofl:

Sasa will occasiobally purr when being stroked.

lupin never purrs and hates being stroked, he is an indeorndebt independent terroist!

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 11:33:31 AM »
Jaffa purrs like a tractor and will start up almost as soon as you look at him.  Mosi purrs very quietly - you can usually only hear it if you place your head on his chest.  But every now and then a big purr erupts - its a sort of cross between a snort and an asthma attack!  Hard not to laugh.  He sometimes looks a bit bemused himself - like "where did that come from?"

Offline Greenlaner

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Billy
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 01:10:13 AM »
Hard pressed to ever hear a purr from my Billy . Well loved and cared for that he is.  He has a deep contented sigh though.

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 23:13:44 PM »
Dexter has a good purr, but only when he wants food!  I wouldn't change them for anything, but would love it if Denzel had a 'proper' purr!
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline beowulf

• Adult Cat
  • Willow and Jessie's provider
  • Slave to: Willow and Jessie-Moo
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 22:53:44 PM »
i love hearing a cat purr, i definatly find it relaxing, Willow purrs so loud we have started to call her motorboat  :evillaugh:

is there any thing as cute as having a purring cat snuggle into you?

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 22:08:46 PM »
Aaw bless her, may be you should blow her nose  :evillaugh:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 19:26:49 PM »
It is interesting. However, Denzel has the most pathetic purr I have ever heard! She sounds like she is trying to breathe through a really snotty nose  :rofl: its ridiculous!
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 18:15:47 PM »
They also purr while going through the pain of kittening, so maybe purring releases endorphins as natural pain killers and self-comforters.

Listening to a cat purr certainly has a relaxing effect on me so I'm not surprised that purring heals pusscats.  :Luv2:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Link to CatChat