Author Topic: advice needed please!  (Read 1617 times)

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
Re: advice needed please!
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 00:27:20 AM »
I'm assuming that you had no choice in the place you moved to otherwise you would have chosen something more suitable, I'm sure. So given the situation, neuter your cats if they are not already, and supply them with at least four litter trays which are cleaned daily. Spend time playing da Bird with them and purchase a large cat tree for them to climb and to scratch (instead of your furniture), spray this with a catnip spray to encourage them to use this.

Clean up after their messes using biological washing powder dissolved in warm water. Never use bleach or disinfectant. The latter is fatal and the former will encourage spraying.

If this fails, consider moving to a quieter road if you have the choice, or rehome the cats. Think of the cats' welfare rather than what you want to be the case.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 13:31:15 PM »
Firstly....are all your cats neutered? And when did you move? Cats toilet to mark territory as well as to "do their business." So if they're toileting where they shouldn't, that may be the case.

Also, if you have four cats who you are keeping as indoor cats, you may need to look at the amount of litter trays you have available to them. Remember they're used to not HAVING to use the same area to toilet.

Mimicking the mental stimulation they'd receive from outside matters too. Interactive toys, large posts with cubbies and shelves are all quite important to ensure they feel they've enough freedom to be themselves.

Scent marking areas they can scratch with catnip spray and can't with something like Pet Behave Spray can help too.

If it's possible, cat proofing your garden may help matters as well. :)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 17:57:37 PM »
My Benglies have always been indoor cats but I recently moved from a quiet village where they would have been safe if they had escaped into town - the first thing I did was to get my Courtyard completely cat proofed so now they can go out there and I know they are totally safe - your poor cats must be very confused as to why they are now being confined and I hate to say this but if your new house in not safe for them if may be kinder to consider re homing
When I was househunting my main priority was the suitability for my furbabies
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 13:54:23 PM »
tbh I am not suprised they are doing this and agree with the other two that you need to find away of making them safe so they can go outside .

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 12:48:30 PM »
This must be a nightmare for you! Would you be able to build a wire run out from the back door, or something similar?

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 12:27:59 PM »
I can understand your worries over letting them out, I wouldn't risk it either.  Having said that, I would also be concerned that they're used to going out and now they can't.  Would it be possible to cat proof your garden in some way so that they still feel the fresh air but they aren't at risk from the road?  I can't think of any other suggestions really, and not sure that entertaining them more would stop them wanting to go out  :( I don't envy your position as I would want the best for them.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 12:31:51 PM by Janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline HayleyRose

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Elsie,Eddie,Effie And Eskie
advice needed please!
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 12:24:37 PM »
My 4 cats used to be outdoor cats but we moved a few months ago and I didn't want them out as we now live next to a main road. But they are ruining my house, they are weeing and pooing wherever they please and are becoming very destructive because they must be bored. I'm worried that if inlet them out something will happen to them, I love my cats so much and couldn't stand it if I lost them.
Any advice welcome...

Link to CatChat