Author Topic: Advice needed on whether to get another cat?  (Read 1806 times)

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
Re: Advice needed on whether to get another cat?
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 19:36:19 PM »
My introduction went fairly smoothly but even after 4 years together (I think) they don't snuggle together and don't really play together.  He does wash her occasionally and she rubs up against him but for the most part it's a resigned acceptance of each other.   In my situation though the cat I already had (Robbie) had been used to living with another cat and liked the company of other cats  - even allowing for that though he wasn't best pleased with Sky's arrival. 

She would definitely be more happy on her own as he can be a bit too lively for her.

Offline Helen M

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Bobby & Beau (Dolly RIP)
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 18:42:38 PM »
Good luck. People have given you good advice and having a back up plan that if the cat does not click with your own cat that they would take the new cat back is good. Do not feel that you have failed if it does not work, it could purely be a personality clash.
Personally having recently taken on a new cat, my advice is take it slow and take time with both cats  making especially  sure you spend time with your existing cat so that you do not put their nose out of joint.
Please join the Purrs save a life draw - £2 a month is all it takes!
Help the rescues to help the cats in their care plus the chance to win £££  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,38217.0.html

Offline girlinleeds

• Senior Cat
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 17:51:35 PM »
Good luck, weve been thinking about getting another cat for a while but havent built up the courage yet.  Hope you hear from the rescuse soon

Offline Amelia190

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Pepsi
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 16:08:39 PM »
Thank you both. I am nervous about getting another cat for those reasons, but since it's so hard to tell I think I'm going to go with my gut and get another cat. We've got in touch with a rescue center and currently waiting for a reply on one of their male kittens. I'll keep you updated :)

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Chelsea (March 1994 ~ March 2012 - Rest in peace my darling), Luna and Cleo plus Simba the Ginga
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 13:27:52 PM »
If I could wind the clock back I wouldn't get our third cat again. Although he is lovely, my other two are sisters and six months in its no better. They hate him, he tries to be friends and does all the submissive stuff but likes to run around and chase them so he gets hissed and growled at from the top of my wardrobe.
We've tried scent swapping, slow introductions and feliway but none of it has worked.
I'm not trying to put you off at all as two cats who get on are an absolute pleasure, just letting you know it doesn't always go smoothly.

Offline maddercow

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Cash, Izzy and Scruffycat the stray.
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 12:23:12 PM »
She might surprise you! I have never had any problems introducing new cats but I have heard horror stories.

Do choose the new cat carefully bearing in mind your own cat's character, the rescue people should be able to tell yu all about the cats they have. A younger cat would definitely be a good idea and possibly a little boycat.

My two have never actually curled up together by the way, they spend alot of time time chasing, playing and grooming but when it comes to the serious matter of sleep bum to bum is as close as they get!

Good luck and keep us posted.

X

Offline Amelia190

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 17:06:19 PM »
It's a difficult decision. I would talk to a local rescue and ask them for their help. If the cats don't get on at least they will be able to take the new cat back. They will know which cats get on with other cats as well.

Thank you! I think I'll ring the rescue lady we got my current cat from, thanks again!

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 15:08:07 PM »
It's a difficult decision. I would talk to a local rescue and ask them for their help. If the cats don't get on at least they will be able to take the new cat back. They will know which cats get on with other cats as well. 

Offline Amelia190

• Kitten
Advice needed on whether to get another cat?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 19:44:51 PM »
Right, where to start... :Crazy:

I would really like to adopt a kitten as a friend for my 3 year old indoor cat. My cat is never on her own, there will always be at least one person at home (usually me) during the day and night so it's not a case that she's always on her own and I want to get another friend for her, I'd just love to see her cuddling up with another cat and having a playmate. The only problem is, I'm really not sure whether this would be a good idea. The only interaction she's had with another cat since she was a baby was when a neighbors cat ran into our house and she hissed at it. I'm pretty sure that's normal though? She seems very protective of her house and her territory and I'm just worried she'll never accept a new cat. Really not sure what to do for the best, any advice is appreciated!  :)

Link to CatChat