Author Topic: south yorks - made a mistake :(  (Read 7743 times)

Offline ronandcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
    • LostCatsBrighton
Re: south yorks - made a mistake :(
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2014, 10:17:54 AM »
Great news glad to hear.

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2014, 09:18:37 AM »
I am so glad about their happy ending!
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline Tigerlily (Allison)

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Toby
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2014, 08:52:55 AM »
Great news!  ;D ;D
http://www.cat-rescue1.co.uk/

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16
Always in my thoughts, forever in my heart

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2014, 22:12:23 PM »
That is such great news, thanks for letting us know  :briggin:

Offline midgecat

• Adult Cat
    • 8 Lives Cat Rescue
  • Slave to: mog, jango & sooty, honey & amber, and flipper ......... additional guests welcome :)
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2014, 20:45:03 PM »
Sorry to go on about this but I just have to share it.  The adoptive humans of these two just put a video on facebook.  They're stroking Jak and he's purring away, rubbing up to them, tail in the air, happy and loving as anything.  They'd been settled and ok in their new home.  Jenny being loving whilst Jak aloof.  But this is just incredible.  Four months with their new humans, and about 6 months from coming into rescue and they're both completely different cats.   Utterly amazed and delighted for them, and in awe of what their humans have managed to do.   :wow:

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2014, 07:31:48 AM »
 :wow: great
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2014, 00:19:43 AM »
You have made a huge difference to the lives of these two!  ;D

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2014, 20:50:33 PM »
 ;D :hug: :hug:

Offline midgecat

• Adult Cat
    • 8 Lives Cat Rescue
  • Slave to: mog, jango & sooty, honey & amber, and flipper ......... additional guests welcome :)
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2014, 19:41:51 PM »
It just gets better :)  Another update today.  Jen curled up asleep in the woman's lap all afternoon.  Jak (the more fearful of the two) snoozing by the guys feet and trotting after him around the house.  How good is that :)

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2014, 08:22:14 AM »
Great news  ;D
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline CuteCats

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2013, 16:15:28 PM »
Brilliant news!  :)

Offline KittyNic

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Sam, Codex, Jacob, Munchkin & Chutney too!
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2013, 15:59:26 PM »
That's wonderful news indeed! Well done on your perseverance.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2013, 15:12:23 PM »
Great news that they are settling in new home  ;D ;D

Offline midgecat

• Adult Cat
    • 8 Lives Cat Rescue
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2013, 22:05:22 PM »
oh ok.  i used the pet remedy plug in for about a couple of weeks before they went and i do think that made a difference, especially to Jenny.  to the point where she changed when i switched it on - its quite a small room and the smell was almost over powering if left on for too long.  didn't know they did a spray too.  i've not seen much difference with feliway ...

i  was quite surprised it affected her because she's been completely unmoved by catnip or valerian

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2013, 21:31:53 PM »
This is such a fabulous update Midge.  ;D May I make a suggestion?  :shify: Pet Remedy spray smells like stinky feet but is seriously effective at calming cats (almost to the point of adoration!) sells cheapest on e-bay for a 200ml bottle - spray it on bedding and sleepy places - I'm a convert and when re-homing it is an absolute godsend. 8 out of 9 cats (yes really  ;D ) approve. Tell the new slaves?

Here you go http://www.ebay.com/itm/PET-REMEDY-CALMING-SPRAY-200ml-PLUS-a-MINI-SPRAY-FREE-for-CATS/121220533033?_trksid=p3693.m2452&_trkparms=aid%3D333005%26algo%3DRIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D265%26meid%3D3724945177625747216%26pid%3D100102%26prg%3D1140%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26sd%3D121220533033%26

Offline midgecat

• Adult Cat
    • 8 Lives Cat Rescue
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2013, 21:09:20 PM »
there wasn't a lump in my throat at that point sheilarose, however when i just received a second email from their new human .....

"Another quick update - Jenny ate some treats out of my hand and let me stroke her ears and is now lying in one of the cat beds. Jak has taken up residence on the mat next to the radiator and is gently poaching as we speak! "

..... there certainly was.  i so feared that jen would go back to being untouchable and jak would completely retreat.  looks like they've managed to hold on to something that they've gained here and their new humans are set to bring out the best in them.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2013, 17:16:54 PM »
That really is a fantastic outcome! Well done for giving these 2 a chance  :briggin:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2013, 14:46:34 PM »
That's one of my favourite posts of the year.  ;D

Everything crossed that these precious babies have now found their forever home.  :crossed:

Full credit to you Midgecat, your dedication and strength gave them their chance, thank you so much for all you did. I bet there's a little lump in your throat, No? I know there is in mine.  :cuddle:

:thankyou:

Offline midgecat

• Adult Cat
    • 8 Lives Cat Rescue
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2013, 14:29:02 PM »
I hardly dare post this cos I can't believe our luck.  Had an enquiry about adopting an adult cat (or maybe two), I tentatively suggested Jenny and wondered if I was pushing my luck to mention Jak as well.  But this wonderful couple were interested in both, even after they'd been to meet them!  Lovely people, no kids, wanting to offer a home to cats who are more difficult to re home, happy to just let them be and come and go as they please once they're settled.

Amazingly I managed to get them into their carriers!  The place I got them from used catch pole noose kind of things.  Jak walked into the carrier when I put it up against him.  I picked Jen up and put her in.  On reflection, having felt I was doing no good to them - that's one heck of a change in 6 weeks.  It helped loads that a lovely friend from another rescue was on call for if I couldn't manage it.

They arrived at their new home and slid themselves into a corner - obviously anxious, but not terrified as they were when they arrived with me.  Their new mum messaged me this morning to say they'd both been out and had something to eat and used their lit tray.

Cautiously hopeful that we've found a happy ending.  Thanks for your support around here.

Offline KittyNic

• Senior Cat
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2013, 10:45:19 AM »
It sounds like you're doing the right things and that given time Jak will become more friendly and less scared.

I look forward to reading more about the progress you make with him.

Offline midgecat

• Adult Cat
    • 8 Lives Cat Rescue
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2013, 21:33:19 PM »
Thanks for asking KittyNic.

We now have a pet remedy 'plug in' plugged in ;)  I think Jen is enjoying that at least.  It's quite a strong smell  so I don't have it switched on all the time.  But when I put it on she seems to get all purry and cuddly.  Jak looks a little more relaxed and will play with wand sort of toys with me.  He still hisses at sudden movements and I can't get to touch him.

I got valerian and mixed herb toys from Purrs shop, but as with the cat nip toys they seem completely unmoved by them.  (Unlike the rest of the gang who have seized on them with huge excitement).  Perhaps its a family thing that these two just don't have the sense of smell.

They're now "top cats" on cat chat and I've advertised them in the discussion forum there.  No response as yet, other than that someone has posted to say that they appear close and it would be a shame to separate them.

Here's their latest blog post: http://8livescatrescue.wordpress.com/2013/12/20/6-weeks-in-the-house/

Offline KittyNic

• Senior Cat
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2013, 12:46:40 PM »
How are things going now, midgecat?

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 22:29:11 PM »
Definitely agree with the others, you're being way too hard on yourself. How could you have assessed the severity of a cats nervousness without meeting them? And due to the very nature of rescue, that's not something that happens before they come to you for help most of the time.

I definitely agree that Pet Remedy diffusers are wonderful. They're a herbal compound rather than a synthetic pheromone simulator. Also, Sheila makes a valid point regarding cats seeming bonded; I cared for two "free ad" kittens years ago and they seemed very bonded but I was offered homes for them in separate places. I felt awful but weighed things up and decided to see how it went for them - the "quieter" one of the two came out of her shell totally as soon as her litter mate went to his new home.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 20:31:23 PM »
Oh definitely, your feelings will certainly trigger reactions in them. Don't be too worried about splitting them up, though... cats tend to do very well on their own and often even better when they haven't got their security blanket friend.

Mum will be happy as a companion cat for another household, and presumably would be ok with older kids, but son may be ruining her chances of a forever home as he's not to be trusted. All he may need is to be an "only" cat - often the case with strongly dominant males.

As far as lashing out is concerned, do you have some substantial gloves, maybe soft gardening gloves? These might allow you to handle him more confidently and not have to jump or pull away when he swipes.

Offline midgecat

• Adult Cat
    • 8 Lives Cat Rescue
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 20:13:22 PM »
Thanks for your understanding and support :)

They're in one room away from all the other cats.  I'd ordered some valerian toys since they both seem completely unmoved by catnip.  Have added some pet rescue diffuser to the order too now.  They've also got rescue remedy in their water now. 

Mum cat is friendly and I think would be fine as a pet in an ordinary home.  It's her boy who struggles.  But they seem close - often find them curled up together.    Not sure if he will ever be able to fit into a family.   And equally I'm not sure it would be fair on mum cat to be an outdoor / stable cat when she IS affectionate.  And not fair to separate them.  Sigh.

Think it helps just to share it with people here.  I can walk into their room feeling a bit less hopeless about it and maybe they can respond to that.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 08:56:40 AM »
I don't think you've made a mistake at all, there are some cats that will never be tamed and, as Liz has found, need to be found a suitable environment for their temperament. I took a cat last year who savagely attacked me and OH, we were utterly devastated by what we assumed to be our failing, and returned her to the rescue she had come from. Only now do I know for sure that it was a glitch in the cat's psyche that caused her attack, not my treatment of her, and was not a reflection of my abilities as a rescuer.  :hug: :hug:

Please don't despair. There are homes for feral and semi feral cats out there, talk to your vet who may keep an eye open for a suitable farm/stable environment especially if he has a large animal concession at his practise. Otherwise as others have advised, ask all your local rescues to be put on their lists.  :)

Meanwhile, although I don't rate Feliway (and Felifriend spray is positively dangerous in my experience) I do love Pet Remedy plug ins and sprays, Zylkene powders for de-stressing their food and a drop of rescue remedy in drinking water.  ;D I also like to give over-anxious cats a stinky valerian toy to beat up, pee on and generally get rid of some pent up aggression with.  ;) Try the Purrs shop  :innocent: they have some really stinky ones!

Offline KittyNic

• Senior Cat
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 21:01:40 PM »
Firstly, well done on re-homing twenty cats. Remember your success!

I'd also recommend a Feliway plug-in to help calm the newbie. There are two camps on these plug-ins (those that swear by them, and those that don't rate them), but I think anything is worth a shot to help the situation.

Some cats need longer than others to acclimatise and settle to a new home even if it is just a foster home.

Definitely speak to other local rescues and see if they can go on their waiting list. Your own health (both physical and mental) is important and you must make sure you're

Also if you feel that you can't continue re-homing from your own home, perhaps work on helping other more established rescue centres by fund raising or promotion to find homes for their cats in the time you feel you can spare.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 20:47:55 PM »
Hello and sorry to hear that things are getting on top of you

I am Mother to the Clan cats and they are made up of Feral, Domestic and my Pedigrees an NFC, 2 Ragdolls, my own Physco Bengal and my 3 Foster Bengals - Mum and 2 kittens and their pets my 3 Border Collies

Can I suggest some Rescue remedy in the water, and some Zylkene capsules broken and spread on to the food this tends to take the edge of the nastier ones - I use it here on my ferals when they first come in and it does take the edge of and is a natural product with no side effects.

I would also confine to one room and no hiding place apart from a cat carrier with the door off and a hooded bed then they feel safe and its gets them used to the cat box and if you can a large dog cage covered on 2 sides with a blanket covering it to give them a safe place a large dog crate means a litter tray and bed can be added - I use the clip on water bowls not freestanding then it at least stays in the water bowl feel free to pm me and I can offer further advice as I have several unhandlables but can get them in to crush cages and they visit the vets twice a year for boosters and program injections
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 18:39:38 PM »
I can't offer any practical advice but agree with the others, please try not be so hard on yourself  :hug: Rehoming 20 cats is a brilliant achievment  :hug:

Do you think the boy you're struggling with has the potential to be tamed? If not then perhaps you could be on the look out for a stable type home for him where he'd be fed and looked after and have human contact if he wanted - I know it's not ideal as in an ideal world every cat would have a safe and loving indoor home but it's far from an ideal world  :hug: If you think he has the potential to become more domesticated then could you ask local rescues to put him on their waiting list, at least in the meantime he is safe, warm and loved - even if he doesn't show it back! :grouphug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 16:23:10 PM »
So sorry that you are struggling  :hug: :hug:

Rescue is such a hard and demanding thing to do and hopefully some rescue near you will be able to help.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 16:03:52 PM »
don't be so hard on yourself - its no easy task, might be worth seeing what other local rescues are around you to see if you can get any support from them

Offline ronandcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
    • LostCatsBrighton
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 16:02:26 PM »
Sorry we can't help you being so far away but as a suggestion have you tried a Feliway plug-in, wev'e tried it here and it seems to work well. Wishing you success, Ron

Offline midgecat

• Adult Cat
    • 8 Lives Cat Rescue
south yorks - made a mistake :(
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 15:13:22 PM »
Please don't kick off at me ... I know I've made a mistake and regret it hugely.

I'm a new, pretty much single handed rescue.  I've taken in and re homed about 20 cats over the summer and felt I was doing pretty well.  Then I took in a couple of "timid" adult cats who needed an urgent rescue place, only to find they're a lot more than "timid", at least one of them is.  After several weeks here he's still hissing quite often, and lashing out at me.  The other cat, his mum, was similar when she first arrived but has settled into a friendly purry puss.  They seem quite attached to each other so should probably stay together.

I don't feel I have the skills to help him settle, and couldn't even get him into a carrier to take him elsewhere if a home were offered.  I'm at work full time, struggling with depression, feeling I'm not able to do my best for him and its leaving me feeling that I just can't cope with any of it any more.

Link to CatChat