Author Topic: Suggested toys for house cats that don't require human input- ideas welcome  (Read 3039 times)

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
Re: Suggested toys for house cats that don't require human input- ideas welcome
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2013, 11:27:51 AM »
Someone ( i think Sam?) suggested this years ago and its a huge hit here- ping pong ball in the bath! hours of fun. we also use the mylar crinkle balls (if dry) and foam balls (at night as the ping pong balls can be abit noisy)

Yep that was me .. Zephyr still at the grand old age of 13 likes to play with his toys in the bath. If I can't happen to find a ping pong ball he will glady play with a mouse, or large ball of silver foil or anything really :rofl:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Bridge babies Lucifer & Neko. Sparecat, Saph
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2013, 22:27:59 PM »
Someone ( i think Sam?) suggested this years ago and its a huge hit here- ping pong ball in the bath! hours of fun. we also use the mylar crinkle balls (if dry) and foam balls (at night as the ping pong balls can be abit noisy)

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Billy and Zarny (Benji, Fred and Ginger, gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2013, 17:01:44 PM »
I would have to say the obvious catnip or valerian toys, mine have a toy box and have certain toys swapped and changed around but I always come home to find the smelly toys hiding in different places, so they play with those all day. Fred likes feathers too and there is a feather set in the purrs shop that doesn't attach and he likes to carry this around. Otherwise cardboard boxes and a Christmas tree seem to be popular at the moment! Oh and the cube always moves during the day too, so I know that gets some attention when we are out. I also randomly hide treats around the flat to keep them occupied for all of one minute when I am out the door :evillaugh:
...pick yourself up, dust yourself off, start all over again...

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 11:13:34 AM »
The dog version of the Bolt laser toy comes with a timer and 4 speed settings and although my lot have damaged the timer once switched on it runs for 8 hours and they love it all the Bolt ones need is the human to switch it on and walk away and mine love them, I have a laser pen from my tutoring career which I play outside with the dogs after 11pm when all the planes are gone and they love it and a great toy in the snow as it tires them out and is easier on the human legs than football ;D
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 10:23:16 AM »
The 'bolt' laser does look good fun  ;D but it still has to be initiated by a human slave, it seems. I'd also like some things that Alfie, in particular, could play with when I am not around. He sometimes plays with the crazy circle for a few minutes but, even then, mainly when I have drawn his attention to it. Of course, I don't actually know what they get up to when I am not there...

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
I'm another for the crazy circle, our last cat Chloe loved it.  Most of our cats like balls of paper, cardboard boxes etc,  saying that if you have the money, time and inclination you could do a carboard box tower like this one  :shify:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI9W_VdV1l0

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
In our house, furry mice, ping pong balls and shoes laces are a favourite.  If you can find them large goose or swan feathers are also great (especially if they have been collected by mummy from river bank as they must still smell of bird ;) ).
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
 Aww and there is this activity mat which has toys hanging from top and you could add her favourite toys to it which is great to keep them busy.

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
 Here is the crazy circle :)Gill i do have the bird on plastic its great fun!

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
 Mr Jingles play with his crazy circle for ages, you can get it from Purrs shop and he also loves the colourful springs he throws them around, chase them and carry them every where. Its also sold in purrs shop ;D

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
I used to have a bird on elastic that hung on door frames...............he just loved it

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
When ever I comeback in to the living room I always find toy mice in the middle of the room and her feather on a plastic bendy stick.

I can actually be sat watching TV and Bonnie will play with her feather on a stick in front of me -it's brill.  I was a bit bothered about her hitting herself in the eye with the stick but it never happens.

There's always the sofa, curtains, wallpaper, carpet  :evillaugh: :naughty: :hug:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
Add in this

http://www.glow.co.uk/bolt-pet-laser-toy.html

I have one on the window sill in the familyroom and the dog one which is bigger and NFC proof on the floor hours of fun
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
Suggested toys for house cats that don't require human input- ideas welcome
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 17:17:22 PM »
Sadie is a lovely much loved 2 1/2 year old house cat whose slave plays with her often.  Her slave would however like her to have some toys that she can interact with when her slave is not available to entertain her.  Has to be safe for Sadie to use when humans not around.  I thought maybe :

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/shop/best-cat-toys/cat-toys-Interactive/bergan-turbo-track-interactive-cat-toy

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/shop/best-cat-toys/cat-toys-Interactive/Cat-Activity-Brain-Mover

Any others?

Link to CatChat