Author Topic: How long to keep them in?  (Read 1953 times)

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
Re: How long to keep them in?
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2013, 17:15:09 PM »
Thank you Sam. They are really showing an interest in going out now, so I'm trying to find the best flaps. I've already decided on the SureFlap microchip door in the pet size for the door from the garage (unused by cars) to the garden, but now I'm trying to find a one for the door from the kitchen into the garage. This won't be a microchip version, but I do want it to be lockable, and one of my cats can get through the four-way type, so I'm looking for one which has the sliding panel for locking.

Does anyone know who makes these?
I should probably start of new thread about this.  :thanks:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline SamMewl

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
    • Yorkshire Cat Rescue
  • Slave to: gizmo, gingurr, nemo, mittens and brujo. always with me, leroy w murgatroyd
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 01:28:16 AM »
i'm sure they will be fine already. its such a scary thing for cats moving, i remember when we moved to a better (for cats as well as for us!) house they were so distraught as it was as if the rules of the universe had changed. but cats are very adaptable. it might be an idea to unpack more of your things as the more familiar smells will reassure them. its a good excuse to take it slow on the redecorating too! and just do one room at a time.

they may well relish exploring outside, as cats that are used to the outdoors can find it both fascinatinga nd also a stress reliever.

i only kept my lot in for a couple of weeks after moving and they thought the garden was the best room in the new house. happy new house HK and gang  :)
:) Please text CATS22 £5 to 70070 to feed a cat for a week :)

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 18:46:02 PM »
I bought the cat tree which is helping to keep them from scratching furniture: they love it.
Sheila, I don't think I'll take them for walks round the area because I'm hoping they'll stay in the back gardens. I've noticed that all the semi's are conjoined by small side garages which form a dividing line between front and back which I'm hoping will divide the territory for the cats.

Speaking of territory. I have long french windows looking into the garden and strange cats, obviously not feral, have been coming up to it to see my cats who've been looking through the glass. There have been growlings and other strange noises from all concerned. So I think there may be some disputes in the first few weeks of them going out.

When I let them out (in Jan) I'll ensure they're hungry. But I'll also warn the neighbours before launching 5 cats on the area. The cats, being hungry, will probaby go to the neighbours for food, as they used to do at the previous house. There was a cat-enthusiast who would feed them and I have a feeling that the people next door will, even though the husband is concerned that they'll catch birds (he has feeding tables in their garden).  :thanks:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 12:38:11 PM »
George was in for almost a month after neutering, I made sure to take him out on his own (no distractions from the others) on a harness and lead. We went very slowly as far as we could while keeping the house in view, whenever a car, person or other scary thing came along we both bolted back to the house and came out again when the coast was clear.

Two days of this, front street and back garden, chasing back through the (pegged open) catflap or open front door until I was confident he know his way home from all angles, then he was allowed out with his pal Kuki who showed him all the places her hooman doesn't know about.

I'd let your calmest cat out first, have him do the reccies, then one by one let him show the others around. Definitely get the flaps sorted out, though, I'd be looking to let them out before the really bad weather lands, just in case one escapes before you're ready.

Yes, Gill made the most important point, when you let them out on their own for the first few times, make sure they're good and hungry - that way they haven't got a full tummy to go exploring on!  :shify:

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 01:38:03 AM »
Thanks Sue, I'm glad I'm not the only one who has multiple cat flaps! I'll have them put in before the cats are due to be let out. Touch wood, they seem to be quietening down a little, which I take as a sign that they're settling.

I'm at the stage of sorting out how I want each room decorated and looking forward to making the house my own. It's a lovely area, I'm so glad I moved.

Next cat purchase: a cat tree. A friend of mine mentioned that a local shop sells quite elaborate ones. Hopefully, this will keep the cats occupied and prevent them scratching the new three-piece which I'll buy after they are allowed out. Some hope!  :scared:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 07:26:11 AM »
It really sounds like you're doing everything yu can to keep them entertained, but as you say, it's natural they'll feel the upheaval of the move and being away from their familiar territory and smells etcc.  I would be of the mind I'd get the flaps srted before I began to think about letting them out (if you can stand it)  :hug: :hug:

I remember when we moved, the first thing we did was instal the cat flaps (we have an inner and outer door, so two were required - and like you, we also have one in an interior door from the lounge to the kitchen because of "wrong side of the doors" issues).  We declared Paddy wouldnt be allowed out for the first two or three weeks, but Pad had other ideas, and by the end of the first five days was battering at the flap to be out.  The first time we let him out he didnt come in and was still not in when we got up.  Well I was distraught, wasn't I, and very tearful and snappy with OH, but OH is more practical than me in that respect and went out with the dog looking for him.  And of course Tess (bless her heart) found him in a trice - he was perfectly happy and exploring  large cherry tree belonging to a neighbour, clearly impressed with his new, greener and more bountiful surroundings.   :innocent: :evillaugh:

Am so hoping you can get the puds settled, and that when your redecoration and everything is complete, you can settle down and enjoy your new home at long last.   :hug:

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 01:50:07 AM »
I haven't yet had flaps fitted here, but had them at the old house, so they know how to use them. I'm going to have three installed: one into the through lounge (they play 'I'm the wrong side of the door', one in the back kitchen door which leads into a side garage/utility, and a microchip one from the utility door into the back garden.

This is a really quiet area, traffic wise, but I know that cats are more streetwise on busy roads. I know I shouldn't let them out yet because they're not at all settled. Daily games of da bird are helping, but only one of the noisy culprits likes playing, the other main offender isn't interested.

I understand why they're not settled. I've still got packing boxes everywhere and will soon be having the place redecorated the way I want it, turning the second bedroom into a library/study, so there'll be even more disruption and strange people in the house. It's a lot for a cat to adjust to.

They didn't ask to move, so I'll try to put up with the consequences as long as possible. Any tips for wearing them out would be welcome. Buying them a cat-tree asap.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 22:42:26 PM »
And dont feed them before they go out  :innocent:

Do you have a cat flap and do they know how to use?

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 22:05:26 PM »
I'd try and keep in as long as you can stand it ... but when you've finally had enough I would probably let them out on a saturday so at least if they are not home by teatime you will have more time to try and find them again.  If you let them out during the day they are less likely to wander too far .... dawn and dusk are the most active times  when they are more likely to "explore" :hug:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
How long to keep them in?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 21:57:10 PM »
Moved house on Nov 14th and have been keeping all five cats in, but they're starting to drive me bonkers! They walk round the house howling and whining, especially early morning, but by no means exclusively. I've bought a semi, and worry about disturbing the old couple who live next door. This is a very quiet neighbourhood compared to my previous location.

I'm not sure if the cats are homesick for the previous house, or just bored. I've tried exhausting them with da bird, but only a couple were really interested in playing.

As some of you may know, my cats are ex-ferals and I was planning on keeping them in for two months, letting them go out in about the second week of January. But I'm not sure I can stand it.

Any thoughts regarding: settling them; or when I should let them out?  :thanks:

Link to CatChat